Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minutes applause or Minutes silence?

• 17-03-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Last few weeks a lot of football players have died, having been to a good few games with a minutes silence and a minutes applause, i think an applause is better as a footballer i reckon theres no better feeling that being subbed in 90th minute just to get the applause and in remembrance of the player an applause would be better suited then silence.

In fairness to a minutes silence the applause after a well observed one is a good way too acknowledge a lifetime too.

What you think?

kdjac

Applause or Silence? 42 votes

Applause.
    0% 0 votes
    Silence.
    100% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

well i think that when someone retires his football carrer is gone and dead so to speak...

so a minutes silence is like mourning a carrer that ended up to 50 years ago...

an applause would show an appriciation for the work that a player did on the pitch and would be more fitting a tribute...so i agree!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Seen the Applause at the Man City Match the other night, thought that was a much more fitting tribute, plus the drunken Hooligans can't really ruin that by shouting rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The minute's applause for George Best at Upton Park was great. I think it's more fitting because the football pitch is where the player did what he loved the most, and his achievements and life's work should be applauded.

Plus, it drowns out the minority of idiots who want to disrespect the person who has died by making noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Applause all the way, I think the CIS Cup final this weekend will feature a 1 minute appaalse for Jimmy Johnstone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Depends on the situation. If people reckon there will be minless booing etc... then applause is a good idea. If it is someone who is highly respected, however, and if no booing is anticipated, then I think a minutes silence is more profound.

Where's the Atari Jaguar option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Applause!

definately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

The minute's applause for George Best at Upton Park was great. I think it's more fitting because the football pitch is where the player did what he loved the most, and his achievements and life's work should be applauded.

Plus, it drowns out the minority of idiots who want to disrespect the person who has died by making noise.

Sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

applause everyday far more profound and lets face it in a footballers career he never wants the crowd to be silent, he wants to make them applaude him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Silence.

I think (besides being a better way to mask booboys) the minutes applause was only even invented to tap in to the mindset of modern fans who see football less like religion and more like a trip to the movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Have to agree - applause is the way to go. To many times you'll see a minutes silence being disrupted by a brainless minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Applause was just brought in because some bad eggs didn't observe the silence.
    Which is a better mark of respect to a great player?

Everybody in the stadium stays silent for a minute
    Most people cheer for a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

definetyy applause. It's a more fitting tribute to cheer and applause someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

They are both dignified in their own way. Whatever the crowd on any given day feels comfortable with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Pigman II wrote:
    Silence.

I think (besides being a better way to mask booboys) the minutes applause was only even invented to tap in to the mindset of modern fans who see football less like religion and more like a trip to the movies.

what he said!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    Applause was just brought in because some bad eggs didn't observe the silence.
    Which is a better mark of respect to a great player?

Everybody in the stadium stays silent for a minute
    Most people cheer for a minute
    The first minutes applause I remember was for the Jock Stein anniversary not too long ago. It was such a great moment that Celtic have stook with that instead of the silence. I think Kilmarnock planned a minutes silence yesterday but everyone just clapped instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think it depends really.
    if it was someone who was attached to a club, and that we all loved and want to pay tribute to them, then a minutes applause is wonderful thing, full of emotion and passion.

if it was for a disaster or some sort of mark of respect, then a minutes silence is in order.

for me, when i die, i hope everyone has far more than a minutes applause :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

evilhomer wrote:
    Seen the Applause at the Man City Match the other night, thought that was a much more fitting tribute, plus the drunken Hooligans can't really ruin that by shouting rubbish!

exactly, applause all the way!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Definitely applause. No better tribute than to have an entire stadium of football fans applaud your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Only getting through threads now, was able to see a minutes applause in full flight at the CIS cup final on Sunday and this is deffinatly a great way to show your appriciation to a great player of your club. Both sets of supporters expressing enoyment for what a player has achived in his career. Hero`s die but legends live forever, long live Jinky.

Advertisement