Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair play to The Smiths

• 18-03-2006 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

BBC wrote:
    The Smiths have turned down a $5m (£2.8m) offer to reform for a music festival, singer Morrissey has said.

The frontman said the acclaimed band, who split acrimoniously in 1987, rejected the bid to get back together for this year's Coachella US festival.

Morrissey said the four-piece turned down the offer on principle as "money doesn't come into it", according to the US Billboard magazine.

Too many bands are getting back together to hop on the retro bandwagon and it's nice to see a group turning down the money in order to preserve their art. Granted some recent reunions have born some fruit but most are rather unsavoury. At least in my opinion.

Full article on The Smiths non-reunion here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

I would have thought they would be offered a lot more than 5 million..
    It's never gonna happen, for 5 or 500 million. Although the two Ms could possibly do something together, the four of them will never play together again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

They didn't not reform for the sake of integrity. They didn't reform 'cos Morrissey simply cannot be in the same room as Mike Joyce. Period. The 'we don't want to destry the legacy' argument does NOT apply here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marwood

last post argument can be wiped out because im told they were offered a similar amount of Money to perform as Morrissey and Marr and both refused.

A little known fact is that all four band members got back together in the mid ninties ( before the court case)and lasted two days in the studio together but things had moved on and it didnt gel.

its still sad the band split before their time and even worse that when people look back on the eighties now The Best Band of that era have virtually been written out of history :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They didn't not reform for the sake of integrity. They didn't reform 'cos Morrissey simply cannot be in the same room as Mike Joyce. Period. The 'we don't want to destry the legacy' argument does NOT apply here...

Well I'd like to think it does. Please pretend it does. For my sake.

If they were sneaky about it and offered to donate 50 million to help stamp out animal cruelty, that might make Morrissey change his mind about reuniting with Marr. Or if they captured a big load of animals and threatened to kill them all one by one until a reunion tour materialised. Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Well it was Johnny who left the band in the first place so if anything was ever going to happen it would be mostly his decision not Morrisseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Well it was Johnny who left the band in the first place so if anything was ever going to happen it would be mostly his decision not Morrisseys.
    nope marr did leave, but moz is by far in control of the destiny of the smiths,
    a. he is the more famous of them
    b. he hates the other two leeches
    c. he and marr have had a so called reconciliation, maybe they might do something

by god i hope they don't get back together, it would be horrible.

I would love to see Marr stroll on at one of Morrissey's gigs, play a few Smiths songs with the band, and then leave. This could happen at some stage, I hope it will some day. Another chance to see them play together, as a load of Smiths fans never did. And it wouldn't be a big bloated sell out tour. Just a small bit of magic

i wouldn't mind that too much, just a guest of moz's but god forbid the "smiths reunite tour"

even better, if Morrissey and band worked with Marr on his next album.. That would be the closest thing we'll ever get to another Smiths album. Morrissey is really chirpy and happy these days, who knows one day he might change his mind and make a phone call to that wonderful man who turned up on his doorstep all those years ago and changed his life. (and millions more lives)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

blu_sonic wrote:
    nope marr did leave, but moz is by far in control of the destiny of the smiths,
    a. he is the more famous of them
    b. he hates the other two leeches
    c. he and marr have had a so called reconciliation, maybe they might do something

by god i hope they don't get back together, it would be horrible.

Marr Left because he wanted a change of musical direction and is adamant that he will never go back.

As for him been a part of Morrisseys band no chance,zero.

Morrissey and Marr have spoken but have hardly become buzzing buddies, about two conversations in the last 3 years.

In short Marr will never go back and even less a chance of him been in Morrisseys band.

Marr got his chance to play around with Bernard Sumner and Karl Bartos so he's had his fun and gone his own way plenty. He's always ready to talk about The Smiths these days in interviews and such and he still is fond of Morrissey. I do think that the biggest thing stopping it happening is Morrissey. That's not to say Marr wants it to happen either. But no way is it impossible.

Marr Left because he wanted a change of musical direction and is adamant that he will never go back.

As for him been a part of Morrisseys band no chance,zero.

Morrissey and Marr have spoken but have hardly become buzzing buddies, about two conversations in the last 3 years.

In short Marr will never go back and even less a chance of him been in Morrisseys band.
    lets be honest it would be more of Moz doing marr a favour, Moz hardly needs Marr now does he? ie ROTT is due out soon and his world tour Johnny blew it by leaving the Smiths, so he and the healers can try and change the world but i doubt they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Atrocity wrote:
    If they were sneaky about it and offered to donate 50 million to help stamp out animal cruelty, that might make Morrissey change his mind about reuniting with Marr. Or if they captured a big load of animals and threatened to kill them all one by one until a reunion tour materialised. Hmm.
    Oooh plans are forming...hehe...it'll never happen though it's only a dream :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

I've heard that Marr and Moz were gonna do one song for the upcoming Ian Curtis biopic for which New Order are recording songs as JD

Hands up who excited about that movie

*raises hand*

raises hand too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Garret wrote:
    I've heard that Marr and Moz were gonna do one song for the upcoming Ian Curtis biopic

not quite so sure about that now.

Moz said that Joy Division were basically bland and a bit rubbish, then Ian died and "the usual" happened.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Atrocity wrote:
    I would love to see Marr stroll on at one of Morrissey's gigs, play a few Smiths songs with the band, and then leave. This could happen at some stage, I hope it will some day. Another chance to see them play together, as a load of Smiths fans never did. And it wouldn't be a big bloated sell out tour. Just a small bit of magic

Well said, I'd love for that to happen.

As said earlier, I think Moz hates Rourke and Joyce because of the court case in the 90's and will have nothing to do with them.

i doubt any of that will ever happen

Advertisement