Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Trees

• 18-03-2006 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

How do ya grow them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

In the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ask a silly question.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As best I know, many apple trees are sterile, you can grow them from seed, but you need to splice on branches from a fruit-bearing tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

There are lots of varieties. I'm hoping to purchase one or two in the near future. You can get miniature trees about 5' - 6' that grow in large pots or plant them in the ground. I've to look into it more but was thinking of getting a self pollenating one. You can buy a tree that produces two varieties of apple because two different trees are splinted together.

The garden centres should be able to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Maybe apples are a little too big for me to begin with:D .

What about strawberries? Are they hard to grow? Does anybody know anything about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Peas are really easy, you can even buy them in the local shop. Just make sure you get the dried ones in the box not the mushy ones in a can.

Soak, plant, keep the pigeons away and you have nice sweet peas for summer salads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You're obviously not a natural gardener.

I'd stick to the Grocer's for my apples and strawberries if I were you!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Strawberries are easy. The plants should be available from now on in garden centers. Possibly easier to plant them in tubs , put one plant per tub the size of a small bucket. Place in a sunny location and watch them grow. Make sure to fertilise and water. Also a net to keep birds away is necessary.

Also consider blackcurrants or rasberries although these can be planted in the ground. Rasberries need to be pruned but the black currants just can be left to grow.

You obviously won't be loaded with fruit but it is nice for kids to be able to pick the odd bit of fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Real 007

Hi there

Can anyone shed light on this. I've germinated and grown apple seeds to the stage of small saplings.

They're about 8" up at this stage. Black spots have started to appear on some leaves and am wondering will this be fatal to the trees!

If so is there a way of rescue before its to late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a common fungal disease with apples.

BTW, you are aware your seed apples will probably all be of the crab variety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

within the last 2 posts, we've covered black spots, fungus and crabs.

I think i'll give the apple growin a miss!

Advertisement