Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laser / Radar Detector - Are they worth it?

Options
  • 18-03-2006 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Got caught going 60 in a 40 in Naas on Thursday, it was a lovely straight road, 10pm at night, no traffic/houses/schools in the area. As you can imagine I'm rightly pi**ed off about it, got 2 Points as a result! Anyhow I do a lot of driving, its part of my job and I'm thinking of getting a Laser / Radar Detector.

Does anyone else have one?

Are they any good? Are they legal?

I believe that you can get ones that react and Jam the signal from a gun, Are they legal?

I know they can get expensive so what should I look for> are all the features worth it?

p.s. No evangelists, I know its wrong to speed, I'm not an idiot, and no, I also know that one of these devices is not an excuse to speed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

They are illegal in Ireland. If you are found using one to avoid a radar trap you will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

......and against the rules of the charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WillieStroker

Ok, so they are illegal, I think you can get ones that are hidden in the dash.

Do they work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had one...bought it in the states...sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. One day, driving on a dual carraigeway in Cork, doing 48mph in a 40mph zone....needless to say it didn't work...got pulled over, didn't get the unit off the dash in time & Mr. Plod saw it & confiscated it.

Total cost:
    €80 fine
    2 points
    Day in court with €332 solicitor charge & €300 fine for posession.

So my advice would be to buy one in this country or up the North or UK so you know it WILL work here all the time and get one thats concealed and doesn't sit on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

ainran wrote:
    I believe that you can get ones that react and Jam the signal from a gun, ...
    I have no experience of them, although in theory I wouldn't mind having one. BUT, it seems to me that as soon as your unit jams the cop's laser thingie, he's immediately going to know you have an illegal laser jammer on board?
    And therefore if he hasn't had too many donuts that day he'll pull you over for something more serious than speeding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The laser guns are capable of reading your speed from something like half a mile away, so in theory the garda could eat a doughnut while waiting to pull you over. I dont think there is any obvious way to detect a laser which is essentially a beam of light.

Radar is easier to detect, but having a radar detector alone is hardly worth bothering with.

At the moment the best way to avoid getting caught speeding is to drive at an outrageous speed on narrow dangerous roads rather than doing the equivalent speed on a dual carriageway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Radsl

I have one, it was passed onto me, worth 500 yoyo's. The one I have works really well, even looks out the back window for traps behind me. Doesnt really work well for laser (hairdryers) as your caught if the alarm goes off! unless the beam is reflecting off a car close to you and the detector is seeing a reflection or echo, either way I would slow down. I drive for a living aswell, I cant afford to get points for going a few mph over the limit,the max i'd go is 10mph over the limit anyway, nothing crasy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

There is a garage opener available and legal in the UK that works when the car/unit owner pulls into his drive a laser on the garage door fires a signal at the car and the unit on the car sends back a signal and the garage door opens ... a side effect of this is that cops lasers also trigger the unit to send a signal back and it jams them. If you have a garage at home and you fit it the cops cant touch you. The only thing is that the cops will check out people who have them and you will get summonsed if you do not have a garage/receiving unit fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BigEejit wrote:
    There is a garage opener available and legal in the UK that works when the car/unit owner pulls into his drive a laser on the garage door fires a signal at the car and the unit on the car sends back a signal and the garage door opens ... a side effect of this is that cops lasers also trigger the unit to send a signal back and it jams them. If you have a garage at home and you fit it the cops cant touch you. The only thing is that the cops will check out people who have them and you will get summonsed if you do not have a garage/receiving unit fitted.

This sounds like a unit called the M10 Blinder, available online. It's expensive, but I can tell you that it does work. Apparently the laser guns do jam sometimes anyway, so the Guards will not necessarily be suspicious. A word of warning when ordering though - a friend ordered one online from tha States, and it was seized by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

they are illegal but if you do want to get one get the m10,it has some great reviews on the net, does anyone know how much they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Around $300. Just bear in mind that there might be problems with customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Your best bet would be to buy up north. They use the same sort of traps up there. Provided you could hide it well enough you should have no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

Lads Lads Lads

Why speed in the first place!

We do our job and cacth a few now and again but in all fairnes by speeding you will only take a few mins off of your trip and it burns more fuel.

Im not saying I dont speed and anyone who says they dont lie. But I know when to and not and know the risks if I do and also the risk on my card when I jucie the beast up.

However stay under 120 kph , 70mph and most members will leave you alone unless directed to do otherwise, but come on do you really need to be doing anything over 115kph. I think not.

And as for the dectors, I will hang anyone's arse out to dry in court if I find one and as for the price of them, well! They dont work. And 1/2 the time we are aiming our gun behind you, not straight at you. Them things are ment for fixed speed traps and anyone in dublin know where they are anyway. Save your money and pay the 80 euro when you get got. And we will get you during your lifetome of driving. One way or another. So dont waste your money and have some sence and drive with care. Remember, Do you want to kill someone else and so you want your family to eat around the next xmas table with you missing.

GET THE POINT! NOT THE POINTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

maidhc wrote:
    At the moment the best way to avoid getting caught speeding is to drive at an outrageous speed on narrow dangerous roads rather than doing the equivalent speed on a dual carriageway...
    Too true :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

deputydugs wrote:
    PARROT MARKETING! BELIEVE GUFF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

WICKL0W wrote:
    ......and against the rules of the charter
    Please go away and let the people talk about fun stuff, Mr. Prude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

deputydugs wrote:
    ... And 1/2 the time we are aiming our gun behind you, not straight at you. ...
    why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

deputydugs wrote:
    Lads Lads Lads

We do our job and cacth a few now and again but in all fairnes by speeding you will only take a few mins off of your trip and it burns more fuel.

Im not saying I dont speed and anyone who says they dont lie. But I know when to and not and know the risks if I do and also the risk on my card when I jucie the beast up.

However stay under 120 kph , 70mph and most members will leave you alone unless directed to do otherwise, but come on do you really need to be doing anything over 115kph. I think not.

And as for the dectors, I will hang anyone's arse out to dry in court if I find one and as for the price of them, well! They dont work. And 1/2 the time we are aiming our gun behind you, not straight at you. Them things are ment for fixed speed traps and anyone in dublin know where they are anyway. Save your money and pay the 80 euro when you get got. And we will get you during your lifetome of driving. One way or another. So dont waste your money and have some sence and drive with care. Remember, Do you want to kill someone else and so you want your family to eat around the next xmas table with you missing.

Obviously, english is not on the curriculum in Templemore......:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Obviously, english is not on the curriculum in Templemore......
    Not true. There's an eight week course on the correct Garda pronounciation of the word "vehicle".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

deputydugs wrote:
    Lads Lads Lads

I think people are more pissed off with the fact that the gardai actually usually set up in towns and areas with speed limits that are generally too low for the area and get some poor motorist who is actually only going a few miles/kilometres over the speed limit and not in realistic terms being a danger to anyone else on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just don't speed - even if you think the limit is too low.

Deaths on our roads are too high - DO YOUR BIT TO REDUCE THE CARNAGE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

The shop in finglas that used to sell them opened back up there a few weeks back so Im thinking maybe something changed in the law.
    Dont buy a cobra one anyway, they only pick up the gatzo van
    buy a snooper s4 or road angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

www.beatthespeedtrap.co.uk

yes, they do work.

deputydugs wrote:
    Save your money and pay the 80 euro when you get got. And we will get you during your lifetome of driving. One way or another.

Thanks for the reassurance, you're a credit to your country :rolleyes:

Why dont ye grow the f u c k up and realise that speeding causes drastic deaths and to christ I would not whish it on anybody and it is a serious matter. one dead a day on our roads and not becasue of gardai but because people like ye that do not take road saftey serious.

GET THE POINT NOT THE POINTS in other words GET THE POINT OR KILL OR BE KILLED

You say that to the poor people who got killed because a car was not doing the right speed in a built up area and was not able to break in time. The limit is there for a reason not to p i ss the public off.

Educate yourself before you think.
    draffodx wrote:
    I think people are more pissed off with the fact that the gardai actually usually set up in towns and areas with speed limits that are generally too low for the area and get some poor motorist who is actually only going a few miles/kilometres over the speed limit and not in realistic terms being a danger to anyone else on the road.

deputydugs wrote:
    Why dont ye grow the f u c k up

Yep, a credit to your country.

Savman wrote:
    Yep, a credit to your country.

And what are you?

deputydugs wrote:
    And what are you?

One of the many taxpayers you and your buddies have neglected. Your "houlier than thou" attitude would sicken me if it wasnt so comical :D

• Advertisement

Em and I wonder why I have to pay tax 2, maybe to pay my own overtime, mayb not or to protect prats like you but hell, I dont give a rats arse what you think on a board where you can rant and rave and hide behind a keyboard it does not show a shred of pride. Time to get back ta work and HELP PEOPLE. unlike your job

Bye now
    Savman wrote:
    One of the many taxpayers you and your buddies have neglected. Your "houlier than thou" attitude would sicken me if it wasnt so comical :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement