Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laser / Radar Detector - Are they worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Aye you've got pride alright and you make us all proud....sniff...its great to be oirish...*Sinne Fianna Fáil...*
    :D

deputydugs wrote:
    Em and I wonder why I have to pay tax 2, maybe to pay my own overtime, mayb not or to protect prats like you but hell, I dont give a rats arse what you think on a board where you can rant and rave and hide behind a keyboard it does not show a shred of pride. Time to get back ta work and HELP PEOPLE. unlike your job

Bye now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I see the brainwashing machine in Templemore is working correctly...

VEH-HICK-ULL!
    VEH-HICK-ULL!
    VEH-HICK-ULL!

SPEEDING KILLS!
    SPEEDING KILLS!
    SPEEDING KILLS!

VEH-HICK-ULL!
    VEH-HICK-ULL!
    VEH-HICK-ULL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

deputydugs wrote:
    Why dont ye grow the f u c k up and realise that speeding causes drastic deaths and to christ I would not whish it on anybody and it is a serious matter. one dead a day on our roads and not becasue of gardai but because people like ye that do not take road saftey serious.

GET THE POINT NOT THE POINTS in other words GET THE POINT OR KILL OR BE KILLED

Saying "speeding kills" is a totally empty statement, you are as well off saying "If you dont eat anything you wont get cancer". What really people have to start referring to is "excessive speed in the circumstance".

Driving at a max 100k on the N8 (Watergrasshill bypass - Cork) and N25 (Midleton to Cork at least + Ballincollig) does NOTHING for road safety. It is just annoying that people in Dub can do 120k on the same standard of road (are we stupid or something?). However if I do the same speed on byroads and boreens I am guaranteed to die. But guess with the Gardaí can be found?

If both the powers than be and the garda stopped ranting about "getting the point" nonsense and actually enforced sensible speed limits people would not feel the need bo buy illegal and largely ineffectual equipment. It is likely people would then respect the road traffic laws, something which at the moment, is impossible for most straight thinking people to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Time to get back ta work and HELP PEOPLE. unlike your job

You are not superior to other users of this board because of your chosen profession, you're not exactly helping the image of the Garda with this sort statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If I knew who you were, I would make a complaint against you to the Garda Complaints Board. It's no wonder that ordinary people have little or no respect for the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If you read deputydugs previous posts in other threads you'll see one thread where another "member" tells deputydugs he/she shouldn't be posting garbage like this after indentifying him/herself - and judging by the lack of respect or coherency from deputydugs to that "member" I'd say it's a waste of time trying to talk sense into this enlightened person.

Kinda sad that some disillusioned folks in a limp organisation think they're the special ones and dont need to show any kind of reason whatsoever dealing with the public, whether it's online or not.

Great job on the riots btw :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

Maybe if the public had a bit of common sense we would not have to enforce it all the time, We can not spend a whole tour of duty with a speed gun in our hand and that is why the traffic corps are there. We have to deal with other police work.

Maybe the public shoud be aware of the dangers on the road becasue the public as far as we can see are about 90% blind and deaf when it comes to road saftey and expect the emergency services to help them when a relative is killed.
    And then that family has a total new outlook on road saftey and believ in it. The public have only themselevs to blame.The message is out there but the public just ignore, but the funny thing is most of the public want to ignore it each day on the roads by overtaking on single white lines, riding up someones arse and tearing off down the road, speaking on mobile phones, changing a cd when your eyes should be on the road etc.
    You are not superior to other users of this board because of your chosen profession.

Not superior, Maybe not, but at least I have sence to see what is going on. While other people just try to turn a blind eye and say all is okay on our roads. Why dont you go for a drive for an hour and tell me what offences you commit and what other offences go on. Funny how the public slow down for a RTA but speed up in around five mins and tell everyone in the pub what they have seen today and how bad it was and how they could not believe what they had seen, yet the same person would have no prob in getting into the car and driving home drunk. And speeding is the same as drunk driving as is overtaking on a bend. All careless driving and taking a risk with not just your life but with another driver or member in teh car. Common sense is a HUGE problem. If more people had it then maybe, just maybe the road deaths might drop a small bit.
    maidhc wrote:
    Saying "speeding kills" is a totally empty statement, you are as well off saying "If you dont eat anything you wont get cancer". What really people have to start referring to is "excessive speed in the circumstance".

Driving at a max 100k on the N8 (Watergrasshill bypass - Cork) and N25 (Midleton to Cork at least + Ballincollig) does NOTHING for road safety. It is just annoying that people in Dub can do 120k on the same standard of road (are we stupid or something?). However if I do the same speed on byroads and boreens I am guaranteed to die. But guess with the Gardaí can be found?

If both the powers than be and the garda stopped ranting about "getting the point" nonsense and actually enforced sensible speed limits people would not feel the need bo buy illegal and largely ineffectual equipment. It is likely people would then respect the road traffic laws, something which at the moment, is impossible for most straight thinking people to do.
    Great job on the riots btw.

And as I said before to "Sayman" is he should grow up. Maybe if he was not anti garda and talking total bull he might look on the other side of what went on in dublin but of course people like that only care for one thing, bash the name of the local pig who raids our pubs, **** him, he is filth.....thats untill you need us, amazing how people who hate the gadrai change then. Grow up and look at waht I am trying to say on this thread. ROAD SFATEY AND AWARENESS is what I am saying all you can do is put in smart useless comments and again as i pointed out, Ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

its well known that guards have quotas to meet on speeding offences, so pick easy targets, none of which are accident danger spots. I'm all for speed checks if they are used propery, but like everything in this country they are not, and it is the easy targets that are picked on. For example, why are there much more speed traps in dublin than any other county in ireland, when most of the deaths occur on rural roads?

Originally Posted by deputydugs
    ***aload of old cobblers****
    Maybe I should forward a link to your contributions to your superiors. I wonder how they would react?

Why are there way more gardai in dublin. That might answer why!

Answer there are higher numbers in dublin. In fact the same is true for most places like Cork and Galway and Limerick.
    heggie wrote:
    its well known that guards have quotas to meet on speeding offences, so pick easy targets, none of which are accident danger spots. I'm all for speed checks if they are used propery, but like everything in this country they are not, and it is the easy targets that are picked on. For example, why are there much more speed traps in dublin than any other county in ireland, when most of the deaths occur on rural roads?

• Advertisement

yet there are lower road deaths in dublin, a lot lower, explain please

Higher chance of being got, also taffic, its hard to go anywhere in dublin at a speed better that 50kph
    heggie wrote:
    yet there are lower road deaths in dublin, a lot lower, explain please

so once again, if speed checks are to save lives, why are there more in dublin than any other county.

LIKE it or lump it speed kills.And this has been proven world wide. But if the irish people could just not slow down but drive with sence it may help.

em your totally avoiding the question, do you not understand me? speed kills, so patrol the rural areas, and rural pubs where drink driving and speeding culture is rampant, not the easy targets in dublin.

Get onto your local TD then and get him to give us more man power and a car that can go 2miles without choking to death on its fumes.

Maybe when the govermnet gives us good resources then maybe we may be able to do a more professional and better job and provide a better service to the public. If only the public knew.

heggie wrote:
    em your totally avoiding the question, do you not understand me? speed kills, so patrol the rural areas, and rural pubs where drink driving and speeding culture is rampant, not the easy targets in dublin.

heggie wrote:
    here! here!

deputydugs wrote:
    Maybe when the govermnet gives us good resources then maybe we may be able to do a more professional and better job and provide a better service to the public. If only the public knew.

Like the way actual Gardai are deployed running the sweet shop in Templemore.

deputydugs wrote:
    Get onto your local TD then and get him to give us more man power and a car that can go 2miles without choking to death on its fumes.

ok fair enough, im not blaming you, a couple of guards i know dont think the current system is great, but you cant just keep blaming the 'public'. more man power isnt what im getting on about. get some traffic corps out of south dublin and into more rural areas. you may be lowe on manpower, but what you have should be used better. I remember last year hearing about 3 consecutive speed guns after kilmacanogue in wicklow, purely to clock up fines for the quota, thats a disgrace

Again that is not upto us it is senior mamagement and they listen to the govermnet and not to rank and file
    heggie wrote:
    ok fair enough, im not blaming you, a couple of guards i know dont think the current system is great, but you cant just keep blaming the 'public'. more man power isnt what im getting on about. get some traffic corps out of south dublin and into more rural areas. you may be lowe on manpower, but what you have should be used better
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Like the way actual Gardai are deployed running the sweet shop in Templemore.

And again a total di ck such as bond007 has to get a stupid and no point commnet in becasue he has no idea of what is going on. And maybe you should know that we dont look aftre that shop.

• Advertisement

then dont be disillusioned that people want to buy radar detectors, when the speed check system is such a shambles. I know many people will be getting one as soon as the privatised money machines/speed cameras roll out. We learn nothing, accidents in the UK have actually gone up in most places fixed cameras were deployed.

Nice to see someone with an actual comment that means something on this thread. as as for learning somthing if one person can realise that Public awarness is a major fact and not the gardai then maybe it will help. We try to do our job with what little resources we have. We wnat to saves lives but unless the public listen then we can not help.
    heggie wrote:
    then dont be disillusioned that people want to buy radar detectors, when the speed check system is such a shambles. I know many people will be getting one as soon as the privatised money machines/speed cameras roll out. We learn nothing, accidents in the UK have actually gone up in most places fixed cameras were deployed.

If you called me a dick on the street or adressed any member of the public in such a manner I would have you out on your ear so fast. I will deffo send this thread to the supreme commander himself down on the green. Just because you are posting on the internet your real identity can be found out. I bet the minister would take a dim view of you bringing the force into disrepute in a public manner.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Just ban him, personal abuse is not tolerated here.

Acting the way you are here DD will undoubtedly embarrass the many Gardai who actually use the forums.

There is a way of giving your side of the story, you are going about it the wrong way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ainran

deputydugs wrote:
    Nice to see someone with an actual comment that means something on this thread. as as for learning somthing if one person can realise that Public awarness is a major fact and not the gardai then maybe it will help. We try to do our job with what little resources we have. We wnat to saves lives but unless the public listen then we can not help.

I could have sworn that I started this topic off about laser / radar detectors and I specifically requested no evangelists, ah well people tend to hear what they like…

The vast majority of people know that’s speed kills, hence MOST people stay inside and below the speed limit when it is sensible to do so. I understand that the roll of the gardi in this matter is to enforce the law, however even when I am leisurely under the speed limit, I would still like to be aware that there is some paddy, sitting behind a ditch pointing a speed gun at my car. I would like to know to make sure that since I last looked at the speedometer 15 seconds ago, that I have not drifted 5/6mph over the limit. The limit is not always fair / practical, such as the Naas road being 40mph even though there are two wide lanes in places etc, but it is not dangerous in these places. 90% of the time, the traffic core choose places to pull up that are convenient for them and not black spots for accidents. This does not help promote a “strict on speeding” persona.

Look, the long and the sort of it is that we could go on about this for days and never agree. Although I am not a member I have and do work closely with many gardi as well as being related to some of them (most of who have points and complain about the same things as I do). I have seen accidents where people have died and I have known people who have died who definitely would have survived if they were going slower. But there has to be a medium between a sensible speed and an unenforceable speed limit. Unenforceable speed limits just annoy the public and the gardi because the gardi they are the point of contact for the public.

My point is that I just think it’s wrong and in breach of my civil rights not to be able to tell if someone is watching what I’m doing. It’s like saying to a kid, I’m watching you, now don’t look at me! Especially if i havent done anything wrong, How is that fair? Besides these devices just monitor for frequencies and alert you to specific frequencies. Since when is it illegal to listen to a radio?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There is no duty paid on them to the government. That is why they are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shut the fúck up the lot of you.

its like a fúcking creche in here sometimes.

you speed, its against the law. you buy something to get you around speeding, its against the law.

if you want to know so much about them, go a fúcking research it on line you lazy bunch of fúckers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement