Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jenson Button 12/1?

• 18-03-2006 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Jenson Buttons 12/1 to win in malaysia. What do people think, good bet? It's hard to write him off after todays quali and he showed last week the car clearly has pace. Add to that he likes the track and I reckon with a bit good fortune things could go his way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ChristyBrown

button now 5/1 with pp? - wouldnt touch button tbh - id go with m schumacher 12/1 e/w ..you can bet your bottom dollar that ferrari is fuelled to the brim - wont win but will get a podium - nico rosberg fking legend!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

aye schumi is the safe bet. wouldn't discount alonso, or even kimmi (if his luck holds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

They had fisichella at 25/1. It was the same yesterday and I checked it after quali and it hadnt changed so I went for Button at 12/1. Then I was just thinkin why didnt I go for Fisi(even each way he was 5/1), went back on and the betting was closed:( Im not usually a betting man so live and learn I suppose. If fisi wins tomorrow ill be rightly pissed though.

I dont see how you can right button of though. Its not like anyones on a one stop strategy and if he can get passed fisi early which he is good at he could build an early lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'd be of the opinion that he's 12-1 for a reason, he's not going to win.

Laguna wrote:
    I'd be of the opinion that he's 12-1 for a reason, he's not going to win.

well he was 12/1 yesterday and the day before that when it would have been unlikely for him to win but qualifying on the front row with two williams behind him and doing the best lap today has significantly improved his chances imo yet the odds didnt chage which leads me to believe it was a good bet. Which I still believe since hes currently 5/1 on pp. That was the reason why I went for the bet.

So do people really think Button doesnt have a chance tomorrow? Thats interesting. I know hes way overated by ITV and his fans and a lot of people dont like him but Im surprised so many seem to think he has so little chance of winning. Serious questions will be asked though if he doesnt win tomorrow so I hope for his sake he does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I'm very interested to see how Rosberg gets on tomorrow I have a feeling he could do very well providing he's well filled. It's believed Fissi is running light. Alonso's crew overfilled him and Shuey is running heavy and could possibly get a podium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

yeah, if i had some cash lying around i'd throw it on Rosberg and see how he goes..

He was 66/1( 12.5/1 for a podium). He sure looks the business doesnt he, very impressive. What do people reckon could he win a race this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Williams chance is at the beginning of the season. As the season goes on, money will win and Williams don't have manufacturer backing so it will be difficult for them to keep up.

Button, who knows. Honda seems to have difficulty delivering for whatever reason, but we'll see how the race goes.

Button is the tim henman of f1 - built up by the brits...very smooth driver..but i think he'd be a better developer/tester than an out and out racer

• Advertisement

i think he'd be a better developer/tester than an out and out racer

Considering you wrote that at 1.30 this morning ill assume you were either drunk or very tired:D Seriously though I think Button is well underated by many. People dont seem to be able to look at him without bias. You either get fanboys comparing him to schumacher, Alonso or Raikkonen:eek: or you get people saying he is rubbish, will get destroyed by Rubens, cant race etc. etc. Hes clearly a good driver when you look at his overtaking,smoothness, results(no. of podiums), consistency, and when compared to his teamates. I dont know how you can say he should be testdriving when he's undoubtedly among the top 10 drivers and probably much higher. Hes far from a great driver primarily because of his lack of a win but that cant be taking out of context either considering a win was only really feasible for one season and that was the year of the ferraris. A few eyebrows will be raised however if he cant pull of a win this season.

Like I said - consistant and quick but not a "racer" - kimi is the opposite and erratic , a better racer but cant get an overall view to a race in his head - I think Alonso has the best of both their temperaments - look at davidson/wúrz - they would blow button out of the water in wheel to wheel racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Button is HUGELY overated and with 100 GPS+ up now w/o a win its looking poor. He has had quite a few chances to get a win(namely the San Marino GP 04) but fluffed it and gave it to Schumi, no such worries with Alonso when Schumi tried for all he was worth to take the win from Alonso at San Marino last year.

Button hasnt had quality teammates ( i'm not even counting Jacques- he has'nt turned up to win at a GP since he left Williams) flattering JB's ablility. Rubens has said hes having big problems adapting to the Hondas smooth set up style (Button's car set up/ Honda have been a Button team for a while) after years of driving Ferrari's on the nose pointy/sharp setup (Schumis style) but when he gets 2/3 more races u might see Rubens starting to give JB some headaches.

Honda HAS to win this year, and if JB doesnt chalk up his first, Honda might look to get a Rosberg or a Monyota or Kimi into a car with race winning potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Babybing wrote:
    I think Button is well underated
    Not a damn chance. The only time he was underrated was in the first season in williams. As soon as he scored some points, the brits started wetting themselves saying (as they continue to) that he's gonna be a world champ. That's hardly underrated now is it? Maybe I'm just used to that fat faced, empty headed, know nothing know all and his nonsensical nasal whinings rattling his rubbish off on ITV. (Fair enough, Button is a brit and may deserve some extra attention from his home tv channel but to be fair...) Having said that, he's a damn fine driver with a smooth style and the potential to, all things going ok (and maybe with a few DNF's for the other guys), knock off the odd win or two. I doubt he has the consistency to string together a championship.

I'm not sure Wurz would blow anyone out of the water, he had his chance in the benetton and wasn't up to much. As for davidson, he remains an unknown quantity. What I do know about Davidson is that Sato gave him a pretty comprehensive kicking in the British F3 champinship, and look where he is? Sure, you can agree he has "potential", but all potential is is what you haven't done yet. I think two years race experience and another testing is enough to prove yourself and get some cop-on and after the bloodying he got from Jenson last year I think it's fair to say he ain't up to much at present.

I'm not sure about "wheel to wheel" business either. The only way you're getting past another F1 car is if you're half a second a lap faster, and if that's the case there's gonna be no battle. Races are won in the pits and in the in and out laps, hardly ever on the track. Despite the crap we're being fed at this stage, this season is going to be as boring as the last, and the ones preceeding it. No amount of tarting up is going to change that.

Dead Ed wrote:
    Not a damn chance. The only time he was underrated was in the first season in williams. As soon as he scored some points, the brits started wetting themselves saying (as they continue to) that he's gonna be a world champ. That's hardly underrated now is it?

Thats just pure hype fanboy crap. I meant he's underated among people who havent bought into that stuff. It seems like people either think Button is a sensational driver whos a future wdc or he is totally rubbish and can be beaten by the likes of davidson or wurz(as christy suggested). I dont see how anyone could believe either of these views based on his performances and results. Hes a very good driver nothing more, nothing less imo. Hes not a future wdc but to suggest davidson or wurz are better race drivers is rubbish. People forget about his results before f1.

The point im making is that due to him being so overhyped by ITV and his fans most other people seem to go out of their way to prove hes actually the worse drive on the grid. Poeple dont attack the likes of Webber, Trulli, R scumacher, Coulthard to the same extent as Button and it annoys me because people who do this are no better than the people singing his praises at every opportunity. I do realise however that Button brings a lot of this on himself but I just wish people would base their judgement of him on his results rather than his personality/media hype.

I also believe Button will outperform Rubens this season. But then if he does its because the car is set up to suit him isnt it?:rolleyes:

wurz consistantly outperformed fisi at benetton ...re wheel to wheel racing im saying if it came down to it they wud be better - fully aware that f1 is now a glorified chess game in the pits

Advertisement