Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Weekends Premiership Action(may contain scores)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

WooHoo! Gwan the pool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Chelsea weren't cutting it but it was very early to make a double sub, oh should have been 2 nil, great save from Cech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well fulham have a pretty decent home record this year, i think arsenal and man u are the only teams to win there this year(i stand open to correction here by the way!) heres hoping they can take at least a point from this one. chelsea were lucky enough to beat them at the bridge, 3-2 with crespo hitting one with about 10 left and i think fulham should have had a late peno in that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

cisse took off his shirt and was acting the prick to the fans when he scored, he deserved to get the abuse that he got, then he stuck out his tongue at the toon fans and deserved more abuse, cisse is a muppet and was not being professional at all

well thank you grame souness for signing that 8million pound worth of ****e called boumsong, must be one of the worst cb in the premiership.

And he followed it up with 8.5 million for Luque :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Come on Fulham! They've really dominated Ch€l$ki for the first half. Malbranque is pure class. If only Collins John had taken one of the two great chances he's had, the game would be dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha typical, Chelsea get a jammy equaliser.

edit!!!!!!!!! Drogba gets a card for use of hand. Goal disallowed.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cant believe that just happened in a pro match.

Drogba took the ball down with his hand and scored, atm i dont know if its a goal.....

HOLY **** he disallowed a goal that he gave.....

Blatant hand ball should be a straight red.....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I despise Andy Gray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Brian017 wrote:
    I despise Andy Gray.
    I preferred him when he was Man United's biggest fan :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'll hopefully have them up by 1.30.

fell asleep half way through the man utd game, so missed them :) sorry to be a sponge, but if you do get a chance at any time, would be great :)

• Advertisement

Tick tock, tick tock....

Mike.

Chelsea kicking off, they have no grace. Red and yellow but for who? The MW radio signal is crap. Gallas is off.

Game over! Ha. Well done Fulham, Maurren will be on SSN in a min so I'm of to watch the fun.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gallas sent off instead of Duff, gallas is 6 foot and black duff is not either, Duff swung the punch doesnt even get booked :confused:

Ah gallas tried to remove your mans leg from his body.

Game over 1-0 Fulham

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

gives the rest of us a bit of hope, united can bring it down to single figures for the first time in over 3 months if they win the game in hand. while united have tough games left, so do chelsea, the away trips to bolton and blackburn could see them drop points, and then united visit the bridge, there could be a few surprises left yet in this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

what a great game! fully well deserved for fulham! :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

So many talking points! Good game, maybe not from a purists' point of view but it never failed to entertain.
    Fulham were the better team in the first half I thought, they were really unlucky not to get a penalty, blatent foul from Terry. Justice was done when they got their goal, which was a bit fortunate (replays showed Ferreira kicked the ball against Boa Morte's leg, he didn't actually shoot!).
    I was delighted when the referee didn't allow Drogba's goal, it was a clear deliberate handball. Someone said above that the ref reversed his decision, but I don't think he gave a decision to begin with. He went straight to the linesman.
    The red card was, in my opinion, the correct decision as well. You could see in the replay that Gallas went in with his foot off the ground, desperate challenge. He'll also be joining Cisse in front of the FA disciplinery board, he was taunting the Fulham fans on his way off. I think Helguson was lucky not to get booked, at first glance it looked like he swung an arm as well.
    Probably not that significant in the grand scheme of things, but serves Mourinho right for saying they <would> win the title on April 9th. Bet he didn't predict defeats against 'Boro and Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

KdjaC wrote:
    Gallas sent off instead of Duff, gallas is 6 foot and black duff is not either, Duff swung the punch doesnt even get booked :confused:

Gallas was really pissed off as he was walking to the changing rooms

thumbs down all round :D
    Mourinho took it well enough in the post match interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Happy with the result, 9 point gap.
    I don't expect Chelsea to completely collapse, but I have some hope, some
    feint hope, and heres why:

Newcastle H - Should be an easy win
    Man City H - City are their bogey team
    Brum A - Easy win, that said its a team fighting desperately for points
    West Ham H - Tough win, but probable.
    Bolton A - Very tough game, Bolton could beat them!
    Everton H - Everton will be fighting for europe at this stage, maybe..
    Blackburn A - Very tough game aswell

If we can gain 6 point of them by then, then we have the chance in the one on one match.
    Chelsea have not been on form of late, even off form.
    Losing to Barca, Boro, now Fulham. Just beat Spurs with a late one.
    I think this could happen.

The only problem is, United have a pretty tough run of matches coming up, incl. Bolton, Spurs, Arsenal, then chelsea of course.
    That said, if we can go the rest of the season winning all the games to Chelsea, I think there is a chance, a strong chance that the game against them could be a decider. To an extent, its in our hands, as I think Chelsea will defo drop 4 points over this run of games coming up. I'd be happy if we could just push them a little, strength in the summer, then come back very strong next year.

Maureen, boxes clever. Did'nt start off slagging and said Fulham deserved a win and it was good 'for Chris he's a good man'.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PHB wrote:
    Happy with the result, 9 point gap.
    I don't expect Chelsea to completely collapse, but I have some hope, some
    feint hope, and heres why:

Newcastle H - Should be an easy win
    Man City H - City are their bogey team
    Brum A - Easy win, that said its a team fighting desperately for points
    West Ham H - Tough win, but probable.
    Bolton A - Very tough game, Bolton could beat them!
    Everton H - Everton will be fighting for europe at this stage, maybe..
    Blackburn A - Very tough game aswell

If we can gain 6 point of them by then, then we have the chance in the one on one match.
    Chelsea have not been on form of late, even off form.
    Losing to Barca, Boro, now Fulham. Just beat Spurs with a late one.
    I think this could happen.

The only problem is, United have a pretty tough run of matches coming up, incl. Bolton, Spurs, Arsenal, then chelsea of course.
    That said, if we can go the rest of the season winning all the games to Chelsea, I think there is a chance, a strong chance that the game against them could be a decider. To an extent, its in our hands, as I think Chelsea will defo drop 4 points over this run of games coming up. I'd be happy if we could just push them a little, strength in the summer, then come back very strong next year.

Talk of a decider? Let's not let our feet off the ground here and start floating in the clouds like you seem to be.

Chelsea have the best squad in the PL and are at least 9 points ahead with eight games left. United are also very capable of slip-ups, alot moreso than Chelsea, even taking recent results into account.

I don't expect Chelsea to throw it away, I think the most United can hope for is to severely cut the gap and save some face, and give themselves a bit of a psychological boost for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Chelsea bring the absolute worst out of me! I really wanted them to lose! Hats off to Fulham, played some good ball at time. Malbranque looked very good. Fans went crazy afterwards, I hope not too crazy.

Im a big fan of Gallas but there have been a few indients lately where he has gone out of his way to get involved and he jumped with a terrible lunge there today and he will deserve his 3 games for that.

The Drogba incident is amazing. I thought the rule would be that if they ref didnt see it he cant give the free out. It seemed to me that neither of them saw it and therefore the goal should stand. Thankfully they got it right even if it was in comical fashion.

The cops have been arresting Chavs who can't understand what it is to loose!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

fulham at home this season never fail to surprise me. and yet, still the only team in 4 leagues that have not won away from home (i think)

i mean seriously, coleman must put something in the water at halftime at fulham, i can think of nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Jose at it again in interview admits after seeing replay thar Drogba did handle the ball but then says "I promie you the linesman did not see the handball, I was where he was and I didn't see it". Guy just has no class.

• Advertisement

Jose at it again in interview admits after seeing replay thar Drogba did handle the ball but then says "I promie you the linesman did not see the handball, I was where he was and I didn't see it". Guy just has no class.
    I thought he was pretty graceful in the interview to be honest. He conceded that it was the right decision, just questioned how the linesman called it. Valid question in fairness, the linesman was years away from the incident and had about 4 players in his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

To an extent, its in our hands, as I think Chelsea will defo drop 4 points over this run of games coming up

Must be some new defintion to 'in our hands' that I'm not aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Did he catch Terry giving away the definite penalty? John Terry never seems to get any decisions against him from the ref, whether its playing basketball in the penalty area, or cutting people in half. He'll most likely give away a penalty for England this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I thought he was pretty graceful in the interview to be honest. He conceded that it was the right decision, just questioned how the linesman called it. Valid question in fairness, the linesman was years away from the incident and had about 4 players in his way.

If he thought it was the right decision why did he feel the need to ask how the linesman made the decision?

astrofool wrote:
    Did he catch Terry giving away the definite penalty? John Terry never seems to get any decisions against him from the ref, whether its playing basketball in the penalty area, or cutting people in half. He'll most likely give away a penalty for England this summer.

maybe he has the same magical mantle that shearer has.
    you know, the one where he backs into everyone with elbows flying and then gets the free kick :)

• Advertisement

ah yea, did you see Shearer grab Carragher today, who grabbed him back? Pool then scored their second goal with Shearer away claiming a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Maybe the linesman hates Chelsea? Or maybe, just maybe, he saw what Drogba did and made the right decision?
    Must be some new defintion to 'in our hands' that I'm not aware of.
    LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Despite being a Liverpool fan I would love Manyoo to pip Chelsea (far-fetched, I know). I know there's plenty of Manyoo fan's (especially on this forum) who are only too quick to jump down Pool fan's throats, but for the good of football in general, and to prove to a certain extent that you can't buy success (naive I know) - it would be great.

On the Pool front, Cissé continues to dissapoint me. This time, it was his behaviour. He just got a yellow card for his goal (peno :rolleyes: ) celebration, and then he starts making gestures at the Newcastle fans. Its poor form, and moreso its stupid. Reminiscent of Diouf.

Good win anyway, Kromkamp every match is looking better and better (anyone remember Josemi?). Not 100% convinced about Agger defensively, but he can certainly play football. Thought Kewell had a good match too. So for the most part I'm happy. Perhaps it would have been nice if Fowler had gotten a longer run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

unusual question, but would anyone have the goals and maybe even the sending off from the blackburn game today ? there was a fireworks display here in athlone and it caused me to miss the highlights on the premiership :(

http://rapidshare.de/files/15923429/Blackburn_-_Middlesboro.wmv.html

Brief highlights, 3 mins 07 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hobart wrote:
    Or maybe, just maybe, he saw what Drogba did and made the right decision?

Fair play to him. First person who has x-ray vision. With those skills he should be a ref, not a linesman.

Plenty of drama today. THe fa will be busy boys. Look into cisse reaction, gallas's aswell, and deal out some punishment for fulham too!

Good result for pool. Disappointed we didnt really go for it and kill them off though. If cisse and garcia werent so crap, it could of been alot more.

Big game on tuesday, 8 goals in 2 matches now. Should go into it full of confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In all fairness, he could have seen the flight of the ball, and esen it altered.

Can't we just give him the benefit of the doubt? We'd be screaming if he had missed it. Either way he is going to lose. THe real issue is the ref not being positioned correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool get another 3 pts, deservedly, but again the scoreline flatters somewhat and the season-long problems of poor finishing up-front persist.

Rafa, with an eye on the tie during the week, played an unusual formation, something like a 5-4-1, defensive-oriented with wingbacks:

Reina

Hyppia---Carra--Agger
    Kronkamp
    Warnock
    Hamann

Cisse----Gerrard
    Kewell--
    Crouch

Whilst there can be pro's and con's of using such a formation, I dont think that we have the personnel to bring it off.

It needs 3 central defenders with pace. (ie: not Ruddock, Wright or Scales !!) . Whislt Carra has it, and Agger probably too, although his positional sense needs more development, we clearly dont have pac in Hyypia.

In terms of wing-backs, it may suit Kromkamp, however, it doesnt suit Warnock who has very limied skills going forward in build-up play, and hence our whole left side is effected.

Hamann is ideally suited to that position, although his legs are also slowing up these days, but Cisse is not a right winger, again proven in this match with his display. Crouch also is not pacey enough for a central striker role, although clearly works well as the target man.

Gerrad is good enough to play in any formation. We have et to see him as a centre forward or a centre back but I am sure he would do a reasonable job in those positions!

The first goal came easyu enough for Liverpool, a cross from deep (45 yards) was steered in by Crouch fromthe 6 yard box range. The central defenders probably should have done better. Maybe Given should have done so as well, although his saves later in the match were excellent.

The 2nd goal was for Liverpool quite brilliant. Very well worked by our star-man, Stevie G. He cushioned a header perfectly in the box for Crouch to lay it back to him and for him to finish it with a low drive with aplomb. The cushioned header at first looked to me like an error, it was so deft. A good goal. I have been advocating in recent weeks that he just forget trying to bring the others into the final third, and a 1-2 like this, where he makes it very easy for the other player to do his part in the move is ideal.

The 3rd was just from bad defending by Boumsong. He messed up, and then clearly brought down Crouch. The red card was a bit harsh in my opinion, and changed the game. Cisse, of all people, stepped up for the penalty. I thought that maybe a Hamann, a cooler player, would be better. I think allowing Cisse to take penalties is a risk as his blast/fast attitude could easily go awry.

It was only a penalty which Cisse over-celebrated which I think if anything got up the noses of the Newcy fans. The contest was over but Liverpool had plenty of time to miss more chances and show why the problems persist.

Liverpool's claim on a top-4 position is getting stronger with each match. The remaining 7 matches are:
    25 Mar, 2006 Everton Barclays Premiership H 12:45 Y N Y -
    01 Apr, 2006 West Brom Barclays Premiership A 17:15 Y N Y -
    09 Apr, 2006 Bolton Wanderers Barclays Premiership H 14:00 Y N Y -
    16 Apr, 2006 Blackburn Rovers Barclays Premiership A 14:30 Y N Y -
    22 Apr, 2006 West Ham United Barclays Premiership A 15:00 Y N Y -
    29 Apr, 2006 Aston Villa Barclays Premiership H 15:00 Y N Y -
    07 May, 2006 Portsmouth Barclays Premiership A 15:00 Y N Y

Two wins in the next two matches would be ver helpful.

Now, its all focus on the FA Cup and Birmingham tomorrow (Tue) night. Benitez is of course right, playing two games in such quick succesion is ludicrous and surely this should be avoidable by the English FA.

redspider

as long as pool beat bolton, west ham, and blackburn, i dont give a monkeys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:

thank you very much :) wow, that sending off was totally laughable! no wonder robbie couldnt stop smiling, lol.

First yellow he takes the ball cleanly and the second, hes pulling his arm out of the way, ball hits hand, sent off...what a joke, lol :) Referee must have wanted to make a name for himself, first man to send off robbie savage in the premiership, lol

but fairplay to blackburn, fought right back into with only 10 men and two great goals from bellamy! and a "very intentional" free kick, im sure from MGP! :p

hopefully bellamy can keep his fitness now and we'll have him for the rest of the season, with him scoring like he is, making it to europe looks very possible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For pool using the 5 at the back, while its almost certainly not our best formation possible, i think its actually a very good idea purely because it allows Agger to get used to the premiership and get a few games for fitness without relying on him entirely as we would be in a staightward 2cb's, Could only see it being used a few times, but that could prove invaluable as he could be in the 1st choice pairing for next season. Happy out with Kromkamp as well as he's a very viable stand in for finnan. Its nice to not have a massive feeling of dread when one of the best back 4 is changed. A good left back now and defence would be perfect

• Advertisement

putting five at the back also probably lets the attackers get on with attacking and not worry about the defence as much.

Advertisement