Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Germany

Options
  • 18-03-2006 2:26pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like ill have to go to Germany for work, anyone know if its possible to do some shooting over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Rew,
    I have never had a problem but then again I have not taken a firearm to Germany in several years.
    Scroll down to section 6.4 Exceptions for marksmen, hunters and traditional riflemen.

http://www.germany.info/relaunch/info/consular_services/customs/firearms.html

http://www.face-europe.org/huntingineurope/nationalsections_en/germany_en.pdf

Good Luck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cheers for the links, hadn't considered brining my own rifle TBH, more using a range over there with guns (assuming they have such facilities) to do some target shooting. Im heading to Saarbrucken so doing some googling atm. Looks easy enough to bring my own though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Rew,
    I can fill you in on this.There is plenty of shooting facilities,shops ,shooting clubs[schutzen vereine] and all what your heart can desire.BUT and it is a big but,the paperwork and the legalities are awsome.
    If you are going to reside over there I would give bringing your rifle over a miss in the short term.The paperwork and liscensing for a tempoary resident doesn't justify it.If you are going over permantly, a different story.

Gun clubs are there all right.But they wont allow any Joe Blow off the street to try out the guns.This all changed after the Erfurt massacare a few years back.OTOH air rifles and pistols are plentiful and bought without a liscense,[as are blank firers,stun guns,CS gas,etc]and near enough every town has an air rifle&pistol club.
    The "firearms"clubs will generally have a six month probie time where you can shoot air weapons no problem.In that time they will coach you and access you for your "sport schutzen schein" IE target shooters liscense.This is a written,oral and practical test to see if you are competant to posses target weapons.Huntin is another difficult one over there.The hunting test is expensive,five years of theory,practice,and hands on experiance in a hunting reserve.If you can find a consortium who will take on a lehrling[apprentice].However it will give you a ticket that will allow you to buy an unlimited amount of rifles and shotguns[,but only two handguns].You cannot go off hunting anywhere in Germany like you can here ,it is a major felony to be caught even with an air rifle out in the forest without very good cause.And belive me they are very quick on the uptake as to what goes on in somones revier.You need to be invited to hunt there by the owner of the reserve,and for that you do need to have your igun and hunting liscense.Here the Irish one with insurance will suffice.

The one thing in Germany's advantage is;you provide them what they need in paperwork.They will issue your liscenses in a hurry.Dont forget,that Germany is federal,so what might go in the Pflaz,mightnt apply in Bavaria,etc.

Sarrbrucken is Rhineland pflaz/Sarrland.I dunno if it is still in the American sector of influence.But a tip,if you can find out where the US forces[whats left of them] have a "Rod and gun club",and you can get into their company.[Try any Irish pub or where the US personel hang out].Heck,even if you have to travel a few hundred kilometers,it can be done by the exellent train or autobahn system in a couple of hours.
    You can get shooting under US laws in Germany,and for US prices too.Most Germans who now want to pop a few caps or bust clays try to get into those facilities.It is less hassle,less costly and more relaxed.Dont expect pristine ranges or layouts,more like weatherbeaten facilities at the back of the airfield or barracks.But still better than anything I have seen here.

All in all shooting is possible over there,but it isnt as easy as over here.
    But if you do go over keep us informed.I would be intrested to see how much it has changed for the better or worse.

Sorry I should have been much clearer in my orignal post. Im only going over for a week or two. Still there is some great info there between the 2 posts.

Im really only looking to see if I could shoot in the down time while im there to keep me ocupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Rew,
    Not exactly where you are headed buy close.
    The Rhine and Moselle valley's has some of the best food, wine and beer in Germany. Great scenery also. Landscape and lassies.
    There are -were- large American bases in the Frankfrurt, Mainz, Wiesbaden, Heidelberg region. Does your shooting club have a sister club in Germany by chance?

Enjoy your stay.

• Advertisement

Rew,
    Not exactly where you are headed buy close.
    The Rhine and Moselle valley's has some of the best food, wine and beer in Germany. Great scenery also. Landscape and lassies.
    There are -were- large American bases in the Frankfrurt, Mainz, Wiesbaden, Heidelberg region. Does your shooting club have a sister club in Germany by chance?

No sister club that I know of. Im hopping to sample aqll of the above though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Looks like you'll have to sample the joys of air rifle shooting Rew :D

Seriously, do us a favour; visit the local clubs and take lots of photos - let's see how the Germans do it!

Sparks wrote:
    Looks like you'll have to sample the joys of air rifle shooting Rew :D

Seriously, do us a favour; visit the local clubs and take lots of photos - let's see how the Germans do it!

All he will have to do is check out some of the local pubs.Some of them have the air rifle range stuck on to them out the back.He will be in for a treat though:D

I can imagine it now, groups at 2, 4, 6 and 10 pints! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ha! That's not quite how it works Rew; the pints are for celebrating the 10.9s not getting them :D

• Advertisement

[in German Herr Flick mode] Ve haff zer different drinkin veys zan you Irishers.Zer are no pints,it is zer liters. half litre for der kleine girls,litre for der little thirst ven you go to work in zer morning,und zer five litre for der men.Zer beer in Germany is a foodstuff,therefore beer is freely available in der machine at work,next to der Coke machine.
    Und it is nicht good to be zer pissed in zer pub or fall raus at zer 2am!As zer pubs are der open untill all hours,in der big cities.zer is der no need to be zer langers at all.Plenty of der time to pace der drinken und smoke der fag vitout standing raus in der cold.Especially ven von wishes to make der shoot bang fire mit der air pistol or rifle.Verstehen??:D :D:D

Advertisement