Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on buying modem

• 18-03-2006 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

hi,i've ordered eircom broadband but dont want to use their router,apparently you can use any adsl modem or router with their service,is this true?anyway i just need a MODEM,i dont want a router,i.e,i dont want firewall or any blocked ports.dont mind switching between pc and ps2 online.also the modem needs to be fully compatible with eircom 3mb/384k,will it work the same(quality wise) as the eircom router?
    ok,so what modem should i buy and where should i buy it???
    thx alot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

persian wrote:
    hi,i've ordered eircom broadband but dont want to use their router,apparently you can use any adsl modem or router with their service,is this true?anyway i just need a MODEM,i dont want a router,i.e,i dont want firewall or any blocked ports.dont mind switching between pc and ps2 online.also the modem needs to be fully compatible with eircom 3mb/384k,will it work the same(quality wise) as the eircom router?
    ok,so what modem should i buy and where should i buy it???
    thx alot

Why?

The combo modem / router from eircom is free, has the ability to expand with the extra ports and wireless and Oh yeah once again its FREE!

As to your need to not have a firewall then just turn it off in the settings but having a pc without a firewall is asking for trouble:rolleyes:

Advertisement