Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to maximise fuel economy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I agree with Squirrel - let's see what happens.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dbre01

I never put in more than €30 of diesel at a time, my tank is rarely more than half full. Less weight to cart about!

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote:
    Heated seats are actually good for fuel economy,

Researchers at the National Renewable ENergy Laboratry in Colorado have calcualted that twmperature controlled chairs could cut fuel bills by 1p per litre. Scientists say individual heating systems for seats are more efficent than air-con, which maintains the temperature of the entire cabin

Not once your engine has reached normal operating temperature. All cars produce lots of waste heat as a by-product of the combustion process, having your cabin heater on full is only redirecting heat that would otherwise be dissipated through the radiator. Heated seats, on the other hand, impose an extra load on the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Of all the suggestions driving steadily and maintaining momentum is the most sensible solution. Everytime you press the brakes you turn energy used to propel your car forward into useless heat (and possibly noise...)

Only redlining the engine when you *have* too is also going to help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

On the dirty cars

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51064911&posted=1#post51064911

Thanks to dr zoidberg and Civilian Target for this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anan1 wrote:
    Not once your engine has reached normal operating temperature. All cars produce lots of waste heat as a by-product of the combustion process, having your cabin heater on full is only redirecting heat that would otherwise be dissipated through the radiator. Heated seats, on the other hand, impose an extra load on the engine.

I was also referring to air conditioned seats as on Lexus LS430 for example

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Leaving aside dirt and going back to driving style - I know a few people (one of whom is my da) who think they'll get better economy by driving in the highest possible gear all the time. This works OK a lot of the time but IMO driving up steep hills you're better to change down a gear or two and use more revs and a part open throttle. As opposed to leaving it in a higher gear and flooring it to maintain revs/speed and stop the engine labouring. The latter approach really seems to hurt fuel economy.

any situation where you have to bury the accelerator to maintain progress isn't gonna be good for fuel economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I saw an experiment on TV ages ago where they proved it was much more efficient to drive a car with all the windows down that it was to drive with the A/C on, so screw the AC and feel the wind in your hair!

I wouldn't worry about it too much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I saw an experiment on TV ages ago where they proved it was much more efficient to drive a car with all the windows down that it was to drive with the A/C on, so screw the AC and feel the wind in your hair!

I saw that aswell, it was on Mythbusters. Although I think they re-visited that myth. They say it is more efficent to drive with windows down anything under 30mph, but above that speed, air-con is then more efficent.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I was also referring to air conditioned seats as on Lexus LS430 for example

I see now, it's just that you said heated seats, and so did the quote you gave.

I also said "Temperature Controlled Seats!"

Not to be pedantic, but you said "Heated seats are actually good for fuel economy". I was merely pointing out that they are not. :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not so sure about the half full tank theory. Stopping and starting greatly increase consumption.

I'd throw in a few more ideas too:

1/. Avoid unneccessary journeys totally.
    2/. Walk anything say under 1/2 mile. We all need more excercise.
    3/. Travel off peak, in lighter traffic.
    4/. Turn off fog lights, except in fog or falling snow.
    5/. Drive smoothly, accelerate and brake gently. Don't either labour the engine to pull too high a gear or over rev it in too low a gear.

Advertisement