Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line in a new apt - is this possible?

Options
  • 18-03-2006 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

I originally posted this in DIY and Gardening forum, but I was told that it would be better to post this issue here -

Hi guys,

I am moving into a new apt and rang Smart about getting their phone & broadband package, my apartment is wired with a phone line but there is a white blank faceplate over where the phone line connection is. So Smart told me that I should be able to get an electician to put the normal connection part on and then they will be able to connect me, rather than getting Eircom involved and paying €130 I think.

Anyone got any ideas if this will work? I would rather pay an electrician for the job and get connected to Smart quicker than going around the Eircom route and them releasing the line to Smart, which takes time.

The main reason that I would like this done without going through Eircom is to get it done quickly. Cos if I go through Eircom, that can take a few weeks for a technician and then another few weeks to change to Smart!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If Smart CAN do it let them, tell us if it works.

If it does not work then its €130 to eircom and all the palaver as they obstruct your Smart order,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK Smart have no 'installers' or technicians in the Eircom sense. They seem to be interested in converting existing customers who are with another provider to their services and not new phone line customers.

I am surprised that there is no actual connection. The norm seems to be that the line is installed and there is a 'soft tone' meaning that you can dial 999 and Eircom sales. Perhaps the face plate is a way of justifying the €130 that Eircom charge for a new line "install". The trick is to get the socket on the wall and checking if the line is active. I believe there is a code you can dial in that will read back the actual phone number.

You can probably push Eircom for a reduced rate but it is likely that they will only give if you sign to them. They will argue that €130 is the cost of the line install irrespective of which provider you go with.

It may be free all this month if he is precabled for telephone (inside faceplate)

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭robo

Thanks Spongebob, I am going to contact Eircom and check this offer out with them and I shall let you know if it works.
    But isn't it crazy that we still have to go through Eircom to get connected initially!!
    My main issue was going through Eircom and then Smart, slowing down the process of getting back on broadband with Smart. Maybe Smart should look into this, that they can connect customers in new buildings etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BrianD wrote:
    I believe there is a code you can dial in that will read back the actual phone number.

Anyone know what this number is?

• Advertisement

<sigh>199000 , try it at home yourself </sigh>

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Eircom have told me that despite my faceplate being wired I would still have to pay the ~€130 connection fee as there were no lines currently going into my development...

They have also informed me that despite people in my complex waiting since January for a phone line it will Be June at the earliest before a line can be installed.... And looking at the posts here there is nothing I or ComReg can do about it?

They claim an extension will have to be built on the exchange... Not sure if thats a building extension or cabling extension!

The Development in in Castleforbes square behind the point depot (in case anyone is interested)

Incidentally we aren't cabled for NTL either so have to go with the RUBBISH Sky-Conway service and EVEN-MORE-RUBBISH Ripwave if we want TV or Any form of internet...

If I had known this in advance i would certainly not dreamt of buying this apartment...

Comreg give eircom up to a year (from 1st order) so eircom could wait till december and be compliant .

You will find that publicity helps a lot in certain of these cases. Ringing up Joe Duffy and saying something like ....

'Why can I not get a simple phone line in Dublin 1, the pulsating centre of the great capital of that most technologically advanced e-Hub of Europe with Google a spit across the Liffey and with the IFSC a gob to the west and with the East Wall park containing Oracle and NTL a spit to the north and with some of the most important personages in the IFSC having bought in Castleforbes itself to take advantage of the technology that oozes out of every part of D1 and with Comreg only a hop and a skip to the west of the IFSC in Abbey St and they won't even come down to see for themselves '

Alternatively Pat Kenny is taking a great interest in all eircom related shenanigans and passes complaints he gets by email to the very top of Eircom to be 'dealt with' . See the RTE website for contact info.

Vans will appear outta nowhere , fellas with jackhammers will lep out and you will get your line installed within a month.

Above all you should consider yourself lucky you are not living a mile outside any town in Ireland where no amount of publicity will work but it sounds atrocious that you cannot get a phone line in D1 . Use that leverage .

Please Tell us how it goes (PM if you wish) , I bet end april tops :D

Advertisement