Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with training please!!!

Options
  • 19-03-2006 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

ok, i've been running for a good few years now, but now in my late teens i kinda want to take it up a notch in training and aim a little higher! i've always been an all rounder, but in last few years, its been mainly crosscountry, running 2000 on. i like mountain running too!! but i'm finding it hard to get a good programme- i've been using the same one since i was 13!!! I mainly do fartleks and such, but i have nothing structured!!
    any advice would be really welcome!!!!!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Join a local running club, there's a list of some here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 subfour

nanogirl wrote:
    ok, i've been running for a good few years now, but now in my late teens i kinda want to take it up a notch in training and aim a little higher! i've always been an all rounder, but in last few years, its been mainly crosscountry, running 2000 on. i like mountain running too!! but i'm finding it hard to get a good programme- i've been using the same one since i was 13!!! I mainly do fartleks and such, but i have nothing structured!!
    any advice would be really welcome!!!!!!!:)
    Are you being coached?
    The best advice I could give you is to get a coach. Before youy accept a coach have a look at how qualified they are to do the job- what sort of success they have had coaching, how much experience they have, etc.
    You could try reading some books- 'The Lore of Running' is a good one if a little long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nanogirl

yea i am member of club, but lately its kinda become really slack. most memebers are quite young so i do most training by myself. my father does most of the training with me, but we're kind of running out of ideas. i'm not sure about how to approach a coach either. i did have some coaches write up programmes for me, but they didn't live nearby, and didnt now mo well, so the stuff they gave me, i found hard to understand and to fit into my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bronco

Hi Nanogirl

If you are serious about wanting to train at a higher level, then a good coach is essential. It is a logical progression for an athlete.

Athletes are built by good coaches.

If your running club is holding you back, then you should leave. A club is only as good as the people in it. You need to be around athletes that are better than you to give you something to aim for.

Subfour is right, you need to make sure that the coach is qualified, but research the qualifications. A qualification is easy to come by. But a good qualification is not.

I know some good coaches whom I could recomend.

If you give me tha name and location of your club, chances are I will be able to find a coach near you.

Slan

Advertisement