Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Adams Detained at U.S. Airport

• 19-03-2006 6:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

I can understand why American's are nervous about airport security, but this is ridiculous. CNN News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Coincidence that he had just criticised elements in the Bush administration earlier in the trip... I think not

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

On the way out I might add. He was acceptable on the way in...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Was he not travelling from one place to another within america??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

flogen wrote:
    Was he not travelling from one place to another within america??

that doesn't matter. If you are even travelling from one country to another while passing through the US then they can and will detain people.

There was also a recent famous person denied travel to the Oscars.

When they detain you as well the refuse to give any details. Has he been freed since?

• Advertisement

Oh know it doesn't matter but Hagar was saying that he was leaving and I didn't think he was..

Did he not get stopped at an airport (And was forced to miss some Irish/American event) before Friday?? I don't know why but I was sure I heard that story on Thursday night or Friday Morning GMT; which would have been before the White House event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought he was already inside the US and had met with GWB and was leaving Washington when it happened. If he was that much of a threat surely he shouldn't have got in at all.

/Edit Sky News http://search.sky.com/search/skynews/results?QUERY=gerry+adams&CID=30000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He was leaving Washington and getting an internal flight. He was on a list of terrorists. Ruadhrai Conroy, on his way to the Oscars, was turned back on account of a previous visa violation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shouldnt have happened, happened a few times to others also.

"Ruaidhri Conroy, who starred in action short Six Shooter, said he was barred from entering the States because he overstayed a visa by two days in 1998."

meh... you break the rules, you pay the price.
    Two days is very little but limits are there for a reason.

Anyway, back to Adams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I wish he wasnt allowed in in the first place like last year. We're not supposed to be letting terrorists into the country. Its a terrorist issue not a visa/tourism one.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he trained in Libya??

We can thank the <mod edit-libelous comment> Kennedys for his being allowed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I thought the UK and US had a "special relationship" or something?

It cant be good for relations having a democratically elected Member of Parliament treated in such a manner, Gerry Adams MP :) .
    Imagine if the same happened to a US Congressman/Senator travelling from London to Cardiff???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Now if only he could be stopped from getting back into this country...

Had to be said :D

zuma wrote:
    I thought the UK and US had a "special relationship" or something?

It cant be good for relations having a democratically elected Member of Parliament treated in such a manner, Gerry Adams MP :) .
    Imagine if the same happened to a US Congressman/Senator travelling from London to Cardiff???

I hope it happens to Sen. Ted Kennedy and I hope they keep him in Cardiff. Just dont let him have any car keys.

Giuliani made Arafat leave NYC when he was on a visit. You think the US cares if it upsets Britain? lol. Do you think Britain cares if the US detains Adams? lol. They'll probably send a thank you note.

metrovelvet; your comments have been edited, please read the charter in future, especially the section dealing with libelous comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I wish he wasnt allowed in in the first place like last year. We're not supposed to be letting terrorists into the country. Its a terrorist issue not a visa/tourism one.

It is obviously not a terrorist issue. It appears to have something to do with Adams criticising the Bush administration earlier in his trip. Low and behold, Adams is suddenly on some list :rolleyes: I think it is a free speech issue.

I hope it happens to Sen. Ted Kennedy

Looks like you got your wish a long time ago. Funny enough he was on the list due "to an error" and took a few weeks to get off it by ringing the head of HLS. Imagine what a normal person has to go through.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/06/terror/main610466.shtml
    We're not supposed to be letting terrorists into the country.

lol

Sorry flogen, I understood that libel was for private citizens and not public figures.

Sorry flogen, I understood that libel was for private citizens and not public figures.

Thats in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

This has got nothing to do with Americans being nervous. Its all about control, they were saying to Adams “we let you in, but still don’t totally approve of you” this was done on orders from above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement