Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Radio5 (95.1/NTL cable) interference from pirate.

• 19-03-2006 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

This last week I have been getting interference from a station that appears to be playing Chinese pop music (certainly Oriental) between 93.5 and 95.0.

It has made BBC 5 virtually unlistenable to. Am I the only one? I am based in Clonskeagh, Dublin.

What can be done about pirates, if that is indeed what they are?

I should at that this is on a radio connected to an FM wall socket via the standard cable. However, the radio doesn't have an FM socket, so it's bare wire to the aerial at that end. Via the TV, the station is fine. So, while the connection could be better, it should still be perfect reception. And these days, not too many radios have FM sockets!

Comments welcome.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I've got it hooked up via an FM socket. No interference this morning anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

Dinarius wrote:
    However, the radio doesn't have an FM socket, so it's bare wire to the aerial at that end.

Thats the problem.

NTL would say that you should only use a radio with an FM socket.

If you connected NTL cable to a TV in the same manner as you are doing for FM radio, i.e. connecting the 'inner' of the coax cable to a built-in telescopic aerial on a portable TV for example, you would, depending on the TV channel - get lots of interference from Amateur (Ham) radio operators (for example 50-52MHz), RTE Band 3 TV transmitters, RTE Band 3 DAB tests, local radio outside broadcasts links (some in band 1) and various others radio signals in the air which use the same frequencies as TV channels on the cable system.
    Dinarius wrote:
    that appears to be playing Chinese pop music (certainly Oriental)
    are you sure what you are hearing is a pirate ? - sometimes shortwave signals can break through on FM radios if something else (like a long piece of cable) is connected to the telescopic aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Antenna wrote:
    are you sure what you are hearing is a pirate ? - sometimes shortwave signals can break through on FM radios if something else (like a long piece of cable) is connected to the telescopic aerial

The DJ speaks in what sounds like Chinese. Why not tune into it yourself and listen?

As for the connection, I take your point about it not being ideal, but BBC 3 and BBC 4 are flawless on the same set.

The problem with FM sockets is that radios that have them as standard are like hen's teeth! Particularly those of the bedside clock/radio variety. This set is a Roberts R983. Fabulous set, though they've just stopped making it for some reason.

I have been tempted by Creative's CD740.....

http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/detail/B0001KNRVS/Creative-Labs-Soundworks-Radio-CD/

.....which does have an FM socket, but I have zip interest in CD in the bedroom (so that feature would be wasted) and it is a tad big for a bedside locker. Anyone bought from Shopireland?

Thanks for the replies.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Dinarius wrote:
    The problem with FM sockets is that radios that have them as standard are like hen's teeth! Particularly those of the bedside clock/radio variety.

Get thyself a small mini system. One with an FM aerial socket (as opposed to a clock radio style piece of wire) some of them have built in alarm timers as well so it would make a good substitute for a bedside clock radio.

Alternatively last time I was in central Dublin (admitidely a few years ago) there was a shop selling portable radios with an aerial socket in Liffey street IIRC

Incidently I believe there is an ethnic station on a temp licence in Dublin at the moment also there is an RTE radio transmitter on 95.2 which is close to 95.1 but with a proper connection to the cable system niether should cause you any grief

Get thyself a small mini system.

I'd be just as well off buying the Creative at that rate. Don't you think? The thought of a stack of gear on my bedside locker horrifies me even more than the Creative's neat (and flat) appearance! ;-)

[/QUOTE]Alternatively last time I was in central Dublin (admitidely a few years ago) there was a shop selling portable radios with an aerial socket in Liffey street IIRC[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Will check it out.

[/QUOTE]Incidently I believe there is an ethnic station on a temp licence in Dublin at the moment also there is an RTE radio transmitter on 95.2 which is close to 95.1 but with a proper connection to the cable system niether should cause you any grief[/QUOTE]

Definitely to the left of 95.1, not the right.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

I think this is the source of your trouble

Not a pirate at all/

sunrise_logo_web.jpg

I think this is the source of your trouble

Not a pirate at all/

sunrise_logo_web.jpg

Ulsterman,

Well spotted!

Thinking about it, the problem did only start on Friday.

Guess I'll have to sort out my connection then!

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

bbc radio 5 lie is a great station ,especially its show up alll night and its sports coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

More like BBC R5 interferring with a legal service!!! :D SUnrise is only on at the weekends. One of two temp stations on at the weekends, the other being Premier FM (92.1 Dublin 106.7 Cork)

Got hold of a radio with a coax socket and the problem is no better. In fact, it's just as bad.

Either my NTL connection is weaker than it should be, or SUnrise FM is broadcasting very powerfully (which I think it is) and very near to me (Clonskeagh, Dublin 14).

I have contacted NTL about it.

Perhaps I am the only one here (unlikely) who listens to sport at the weekend on Radio 5 via NTL, but has anyone else had this problem?

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Sunrise is broadcasting from Three Rock and has a powerful signal as it is covering Dublin. You'll just have to grin and bear it for the 15 weekends. The NTL FM system is a legacy system and there is no protection for the frequencies that they use on it especially if it is a operator using 94.9 legally.

BrianD wrote:
    The NTL FM system is a legacy system and there is no protection for the frequencies that they use on it especially if it is a operator using 94.9 legally.

Interesting point. I will let you know what NTL says.

I can see Three Rock from my back garden. Hence the interference, I guess. ;-(

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

You should have a FM/TV splitter in your house. Your radio should be connected via the FM one, if you are taking a split of the TV one the FM radio would be very weak and easily drowned out.

Also make sure your coax cable is in good condition, that both the inner and outer have a firm connection on the plugs.
    Poor quality cable would pick up unwanted signals, try CT100 type

Antenna,

I just had the house completely rewired, with CAT5e and coax throughout.

Every room has a TV/FM socket and the radio is connected to the FM socket in whichever room it is in.

I've got NTL calling on Saturday week, so hopefully it can be sorted then.

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'd say your BBC 2 is woeful too.... thats another citeal ó hiasc....

DMC wrote:
    I'd say your BBC 2 is woeful too.... thats another citeal ó hiasc....

DMC,

Funny you should say that because I switched on BBC2 last night and it was dire, and it hadn't been too bad a few days ago. In fact, now that I think of it, it was fine during the Commonwealth Games. Only turned bad in the last day or so. What is going on?

Please elaborate....the more I know the easier it will be to get some satisfaction from the NTL engineer.

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Since the start of the year, RTÉ have began DAB (digital radio) transmissions from Three Rock, which share near enough the same frequency as BBC 2 on NTL analogue. There have been some reports on the ICDG Terrestrial board where some interference occurs. Again, this will be down to how shoddy the cable is/has become.

DMC,

Many thanks.

Like I wrote already, my cable is brand new and the NTL connection was set up only weeks ago, yet I am still getting less than perfect BBC2 (never mind my radio problems!).

I have a lot to discuss with the engineer next week!

D.

Advertisement