Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cold just goes on and on and on ?

Options
  • 19-03-2006 10:41am

Present indications suggest the Atlantic aint going to break through at the weekend at all with the jet too far south and low pressure systems at the weekend thinking of heading to France.

Look North and East for your weather for at least another week, seems to be the theme for now.

Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you guys had snow there yet? My parents in Scotland had a foot so I was hoping you'd get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes the outlook is pretty depressing really!

I really want spring sun now!

I can believe were going back to 3/4c maxima on Tuesday and Wednesday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Lol, that's the end of my other thread. I've had a look at the GFS charts for some of the week and it seems that Tuesday has a risk of snow showers for the east coast. There is a northeasterly breeze, pressure is low enough for showers and 850 hPa temperatures will be around -8 or -9 degrees in northern and eastern areas.

Englands CET is 3c below average to March 18th

And things really look like staying average or below until the end..

Could be a record breakingly cold March;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage im really fed up of the freezing cold, its miserable coz theres little to no snow risk yet its just about cold enough for snow and I only enjoy cold weather if theres lots of snow around. St Patricks Day Itself I was out all day and the cold cut right through me it was horrible, im really looking forward to seeing temperatures push back towards the high teens.low twenties with pleasant spring/summer sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not sure if anyone on here heard the guy on Matt Coopers last word back in Febuary when we had some snow but he predicted we would have snow again on the 3rd of April. He uses the moon to make predcitions, apparently he had predicted the snow event here in Febuary previously.

Well anyway I have just been looking at models and found the chart below, now I know this is at the very end of FI but it will be interesting to see if hes right. The models at the moment look like they want to extend Winter and then go straight to Summer.

Wrap up well people.
    Rtavn3601.png

The 3rd of April is a great date:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The 3rd of April is a great date:D
    Significant snowfall for most of us is becoming more likely next weekend due to the orientation of a low to our south. Northern and Eastern parts m ost at risk:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Its quite amazing really that its happening at this stage, if only it were 8 weeks ago! I'm with gonzo though in that I'm sick of the cold now - if there is no hope of snow I'd really like for it to warm up. I know we had frequent snow showers on Thursday but I can't be bothered with that unless it sticks.

So next weekend looks good? :D

Snow???:confused:

I dont think so........

Really i cant see anything remostley SNOWY in the charts just cool/cold;)

• Advertisement

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1621.png:D ECM is kinda goin the same direction now. Remember cold v mild battles are usually tempered in the models shortly before they happen. i.e North Britians snow event. Just one to watch,thats all;)

12z is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What is good about the 12Z run? And is Weathercheck using reverse psychology?:confused:

Yes if those syntoptics were to come off it would be SNOW:eek:

That would be crazy!

Snow on March 23rd:confused::D

Even some flurries for the east on Tuesday

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn422.png

Rtavn421.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Rememeber lads that Returning maritime air wrapped in the circulation,so with the charts it with have the influence of mid atlantic air which aint good enough for a snow event,unless the a cold pool hits the exact same time over our heads,precise timing is required here for this to happen,like the event that hit Britain last weekend.One to watch i suppose:D

hmmmm, looks interesting,but a long way off

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp

This is from net weather

The week ahead
    After a gloomy period of weather for much of the country, the sun is now starting to make a welcome appearance. The one pay off for clearer skies though, will be the return of some quite hard night frosts, particularly from Tuesday. With an ever strengthening March sun though, a more pleasant feel to the days is likely.

For the time being at least the UK's weather is 'blocked', meaning high pressure is dominating stopping low pressure systems from approaching and drawing milder air across the country. This weekend the source of air affecting the country hasn't been from a particularly cold source, but through the early part of the week arctic based air will stream south, bringing with it a drop in temperature and the threat of snow showers for the northern half of scotland and perhaps also Northeast England.

One feature which will need watching is an area of low pressure which is forecast to form South of Iceland and move East from Tuesday into Wednesday, this could well bring the threat of persistant heavy snow for the North of Scotland and the Northern Isles.

Then later in the week, another battle of the weather systems could be on the cards - milder, damper air will try to approach from the Southwest - as it hits the cold northerly flow of air which will be affecting the UK at that time, we could see a spell of snow in many places. A lot of uncertainty over this at the current time though, so stay tuned for updates.

Are ye trying to say lads that todays country file forecast was a waste of bandwidth?

Ensembles anyone?

• Advertisement

There are 5 very cold ensemble runs:D www2.wetter3.de

UKMO much better this evening:D

Earthman wrote:
    Are ye trying to say lads that todays country file forecast was a waste of bandwidth?

Ensembles anyone?

I didnt see the bbc file forecast,i looked at our own on rte with Ev,she said the atlantic would not influence our weather like it was meant by this Thursday.The jet is remaining South for the time being,Cold persisting for now,but if that LP comes close on thursday just to the south it might get interesting if the NE winds remains potent.This will be our most significant chance of Snow to date.It will also keep the maritime air out of the equation,again for now.It is another waiting game,lets hope by Wedensday we hold onto the NE or N wind and definitley it will undercut this moist air from the Atlantic and yes we will have our Snow event,for once i am confident this will happen,but Wedensday is the key day.It looks good presently.:D

lads its late March.. any snow will struggle to ly in the best conditions..

And no im not being negative just realistic:)

lads its late March.. any snow will struggle to ly in the best conditions..

And no im not being negative just realistic:)

Very true WC,but we have not got a spell of persistant snow yet,and we may get a first one yet.We will have to rely on the temps being low first,but if you think of a northerly by tuesday into wedensday,which should lower the ground aswell as air temps,dp will be low too.Maybe the mtns will be most at risk but i have seen this before in the past and it has paid off.It is the same scenario as uk experienced last week and their was snow on the beach in blackpool and that was an easterly feed,we will have a N NNE feed upon us,so for the time being it looks good,but as i said before WEDENSDAY we will know if this will keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

See lads even metcheck is agreeing with me,my confidence is high for this event for this coming week but we shall wait and see:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

ehhhhh 30cm = 12 inches = 1 foot;)

Well spotted! :o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Only rain forecast for Wicklow.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement