Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mobile Insurance

• 19-03-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

After loosing my recent boards purchase , a w800i i decided to buy another one on ebay.

I am trying to insure it through the ready to go insurance and they want a receit before they will insure me,

Just wondering would a print out of the paypal transaction surfice?

Anyone had any similar problems?

cheers

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Dear god do not buy insurance for the phone it is a huge rip-off. If you really want a back up put away some money every week/month into a seperate bank account until you have covered the cost of the phone. And if you really really want insurance ring someone like Allianz they'll insure you for about 4 euro a year(and Im not making that number up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think it's so expensive as people make a lot of fraudulent claims, or decide to break their phones when they want new ones.
    You also want to check the excess fees on the different insurance plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

its 6 euros a month with excess of 35 yoyos,

tbh i aint bothered about the cost of it, just being able to get it seems to be the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Today i was quoted 170 euro for insurance for my phone for a year, its a nokia N70. He was really trying to push it on me and i was like "ehhhhhh.......ehhhhhhh..........ehhhhhhh........NO". What a ****ing rip off.

where was that trip?

• Advertisement

Carphone Warehouse, you couldnt trust anyone in there I find. They just want you to buy what gives them the most commission, hardly any of them give honest opinions at all. Bar a few of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

*Tripper* wrote:
    Carphone Warehouse, you couldnt trust anyone in there I find. They just want you to buy what gives them the most commission, hardly any of them give honest opinions at all. Bar a few of course.

they're told to force carphone warehouse insurance on people. its €10 a month so its even more of a rip off. and its funny how they push it on people buying phones from 3. they replace phones for €50 with no need to pay anything monthly

i had a really bad experience of telling you whatever lies it takes to get you to buy something in a vodafone shop. i was looking at the n70 and i said it was a shame that they put vodafone stickers and menus all over the phone and the girl said that its to promote the 3g phones because they're the only 3g network. i don't think i need to tell the people here what was wrong with it but i will anyway:
    1. they do it to all phones, not just 3g ones
    2. they're not the only 3g network

what kind of idiots does she normally get that believe this shīte

I know, empolyees in phone shops(and alot of other computer shops etc.) think everyone that walks in is really gullable. They fill you with any sort of bull **** to get you to buy the product. But then there is always one who genuinely doesnt have a clue and is sold some **** they dont need. It sucks for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭dermoto

Thats so true. ever go into PC world? There mite be one nerdy guy in the "PC Clinic" area, but other than that, they haven't a clue. We're not all idiots u know. And true bout carphone warehouse too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

*Tripper* wrote:
    I know, empolyees in phone shops(and alot of other computer shops etc.) think everyone that walks in is really gullable. They fill you with any sort of bull **** to get you to buy the product. But then there is always one who genuinely doesnt have a clue and is sold some **** they dont need. It sucks for them.

to be fair, i used to work in a phone shop and i always told the truth. for example if someone came in looking for a motorola v220 i wouldn't sell it to them because its such an appallingly bad phone. if they really really really wanted it id let them take it and then laugh when they came bad a few weeks later with it faulty.

you're right for the most part though. they generally don't know anything and just bull****. and don't get me started on pc world

• Advertisement

Oh, yeah, of course their are genuine people in all lines of work, just saying that for the most part, shops of a technical nature seem not to realise they need to hire technically minded people. Im a software engineer and its a full time job keeping up wit advancements, and i work wit computers/tech every day. Some of these people dont have a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Seems to me that the English retail chains are particularly bad at this extended warranty lark. I bought a TV in Dixons and I was surrounded by people trying to sell me a warranty for the TV. After a while I suggested that if anyone mentioned the word warranty again I would walk out the shop.

Cheers for the replies folks, but still dont help my original query!

well, ive been looking into insurance too. All i can tell u is that carphone warehouse will only insure a phone i buy from them. o2 will also only insure a phone i buy from them. Im guessing RTG is the same, but im just guessing. Why dont u ask THEM?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

maybe read the OP's post before replying!!

@ Smithers, if all vodafone want is a reciept, the paypal printout might be ok.
    But best to ask the seller for a mail:

Sold to Simthers
    1 SE W800i
    IMEI number XXXXXXXXX
    Price: €XXX.00
    and sent with his e-bay ID

This with the Paypal screen should suffice.

My guess is that they want to know that you got the phone legally

I just have to say that i find this is the same in a way with book shops. I go in and ask if they have a book and then they say its up stairs in the narritive section. Hello, earth to shop assistant theres like ten million books up there any chance you could help me find it. Of course not they have for more important things to do like look morbidly depressed. Its not like i'm a dickhead to them, quite the opposite, but they are always bastard's. I think ill star a thread like this in AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I know one guy who worked in PC world and he was told to always push the insurance. He'd always suggest it but never pushed it cause he new it was a crap deal

Advertisement