Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT DHCP Leases

• 19-03-2006 2:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Been meaning to ask this for a while: Has anyone else seen an increase in DHCP renewals on BT since the upgrade? My IP was being renewed (at least) once a day previous to the upgrade, it seems much more regular now.

Checking my fetchmail logs, I have three outages for a minute at a time yesterday, for example: 13.03, 15.56 and 16.30, with another at 00.08 today; which I can only assume are DHCP renewals.

It's rather annoying, and makes me wonder at the viability of VOIP -- I know it's only a minute, but it's guaranteed to be that minute when someone calls.

Any why are they renewing in the afternoon at all? Shouldn't renewals be in the middle of the night?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

ye, i got dat two, its 4ever changing, im gonna move to ntl now dat i can get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'm not on BT just yet, but I've noticed a lot more random disconnections with UTV since the upgrade, which then result in a new lease when reconnected. What makes you think they're specifically doing lease renewals?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The length of the outages - usually a minute or so - makes it look like an overeager DHCP server. Whether it's intentional or not, I don't know, but it's bloody annoying.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They've been happening on UTV since the last upgrade. Ithappened to coincide with a new router on my end so I wasn't sure.

Anyways I'm finished with UTV now and have just logged-on to BT - only took 6 weeks or so..

Advertisement