Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Joyce

• 19-03-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

just wondering, with Joyce playing for the england A team at the moment, does this mean he cant play for Ireland in the up-coming C&G cup

or can he jump from billy to jack?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

As they would say, he has made his bed and has to lie with it. Hopefully he will lie very well but if it doesn't work out :eek:

I imagine he will be togging out for Middlesex in the C&G as they are his county. In the C&G competition he could, in theory, play as our 'pro' if he was ever released by Middlesex as it is not an international competition but before he could play for Ireland in international competition again he would have to go thru a period of qualification - kinda odd but them de rules - I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

There is no possibility of Ed playing for us in the C&G trophy as he is contracted to Middlesex.

I don't see any chance of Ed playing for Ireland again, as he would have to go through another qualification period of 4 years.

I think that Ed playing for England is a very positive thing, for both Irish cricket and also for Ed himself. Ed has been one of the leading batsman in the county championship over the past few seasons, and the next challenge for Ed is to play test cricket. Unfortunately Ireland are not a test playing country, and the only possible route for Ed was to declare for England.

Hopefully Ed will make the england team for the upcoming world cup, because it would be a shame for a player of his talent to miss out on playing in a world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

do you reckon if he gets picked for the english world cup squad that perhaps the irish sporting bodies would take a stance, and possible try and promote the game a little bit more, so as we dont lose our best players to england?

its a bit of a double edge sword for me really, of course you understand why the lad would wanna play for England, thats fair enough, but its kinda crappy to know that in next years world cup we`re gonna be virtually whipping boys, while one of the best batsmen in county cricket is from here, yet lining up for another nation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

He had to make the move as would any decent Irish cricketer who had aspirations to play real cricket. He won't be playing for ireland again.

do you reckon if he gets picked for the english world cup squad that perhaps the irish sporting bodies would take a stance, and possible try and promote the game a little bit more, so as we dont lose our best players to england?

No. I think Ed playing for England will promote the game in Ireland. When Ed played in Dublin, I don't think I ever saw him on TV or heard about him on the radio.

Since he went to Middlesex, and declared for England he has received a lot of publicity, as have the Irish Cricket Union. If Eoin Morgan develops I am pretty sure he will declare for England too (if he hasn't already). It is the natural progression for top cricketers to want to play test cricket, and as Ireland aren't a test nation, England is the way.

• Advertisement

No. I think Ed playing for England will promote the game in Ireland. When Ed played in Dublin, I don't think I ever saw him on TV or heard about him on the radio.

thats what i said

you can imagine what the narrow-minded Celtic jersey wearers will say if he plays for england, they`ll go crazy

personally, i just think its disappointing that the game is so small over here that our players have to declare for another country, thats my only downside, definetly cant blame the lad for wanting to play test cricket, it`d be like Ronaldhino being stuck playing 5 a-side all his life, what a waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

thats what i said

you can imagine what the narrow-minded Celtic jersey wearers will say if he plays for england, they`ll go crazy

personally, i just think its disappointing that the game is so small over here that our players have to declare for another country, thats my only downside, definetly cant blame the lad for wanting to play test cricket, it`d be like Ronaldhino being stuck playing 5 a-side all his life, what a waste

nail on the head there chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

There is quite a large chance that Eoin Morgan wont be playing for Ireland in the C&G if he gets a regular spot on Middlesex and that will have him cup tied.

Dubhelp wrote:
    There is quite a large chance that Eoin Morgan wont be playing for Ireland in the C&G if he gets a regular spot on Middlesex and that will have him cup tied.

You are right here. If Shah becomes a regular on the England team, then Morgan looks to be the next inline for the Middlesex team. It will be a big loss for Ireland, but it will be great for Eoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Shure South Africans, Indians, Pakistanis and Aussies make up the most of the current English team, why not an Irish man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

DMC wrote:
    Shure South Africans, Indians, Pakistanis and Aussies make up the most of the current English team, why not an Irish man! :D

quite the comedian,:rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Lisa Mag

Morgan is next in line for Middlesex if any drop outs after showing more of his potential with Ireland in winter. and played the C&G for Ireland, he chipped the ball off to fine leg and was caught for 17 i think it was.
    He is a very fine bats man!! i think i should look at his game some more and try get some tips ha ha ha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lisa Mag wrote:
    Morgan is next in line for Middlesex if any drop outs after showing more of his potential with Ireland in winter. and played the C&G for Ireland, he chipped the ball off to fine leg and was caught for 17 i think it was.
    He is a very fine bats man!! i think i should look at his game some more and try get some tips ha ha ha :D

I played against him when I was about 10 or 11 in a Leinster final I think. He kicked our ass, runners up medal is was for me. I wouldn't remember this but my Dad was our coach and obviously remembered his name after his performance (and subseqeunt gloating by the opposition coach about how he'd be a big star some day in his winners speach). He saw his name on the Ireland teamsheet a few months back and told me about it.

Lisa Mag wrote:

and maybe he cant bend his knee when kicking a ball like a girl as well :p

Advertisement