Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool new cat litter

Options
  • 19-03-2006 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

http://www.purapet.com/whypura.htm
    http://www.purapet.com/ukpressrelease.htm

Great new cat litter, got it during the week from my vets. My cats took to it straight away, didn't bother with the mixing of old and new just put it in one of their litter trays and now they won't use anything else (I'd previously been using wood pellets)
    It cost me 17.60E for the 20litre bag (2nd link)
    Highly recommend it, especially as its compostable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Where's your vet located?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

They are located in Longford town but I wouldn't say there'd be too much difficulty getting it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Bit pricey mind you..... how long does a bag last?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭macfran

I use the litter from Aldi and my cat has no objections to it. Cats can be so fickle about food etc but if you are going to give it a choice of where it can go to the toilet you are definitely part of it's staff.

Any product recommended from vets are to my mind totally overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

We've just started using a corn-based litter that's flushable, definitely saving money on bin lift charges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Manny7 wrote:
    We've just started using a corn-based litter that's flushable, definitely saving money on bin lift charges

I found that to be WAY overpriced and the smell was awful, definately didn't live up to its name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

especially as its compostable

The litter itself might be compostable, but that's not the problem.

The faeces are the problem when composting - the compost heap needs to reach a very high sustained temperature to destroy any parasites/pathogens in the cat faeces, otherwise all you're doing is spreading them around the soil when you work in your compost - not good if you have young children around.

Domestic composting rarely if ever reaches the temperatures needed to destroy all parasites etc. in cat faeces.

The litter itself might be compostable, but that's not the problem.

The faeces are the problem when composting - the compost heap needs to reach a very high sustained temperature to destroy any parasites/pathogens in the cat faeces, otherwise all you're doing is spreading them around the soil when you work in your compost - not good if you have young children around.

Domestic composting rarely if ever reaches the temperatures needed to destroy all parasites etc. in cat faeces.

This is one way (and the one I plan on using) to avoid said problem
    http://www.armitages.co.uk/dogs3.htm

Bit pricey mind you..... how long does a bag last?

It sounds expensive but long term it isn't. I had previously been using wood pellets which cost 11.50E for a 25litre bag, I would end up filling about 4 buckets a week with waste, it's been over a week since I started using Pura and I've filled one bucket, and that's with three busy house cats :D

Advertisement