Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat's news server: crap?

Options
  • 19-03-2006 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I decided to try and set up access to newsgroups on my Esat conection. Although I tried both MS Outlook and GrabIt I can't seeem to access newsgroups or download any files from them. All I get is a partial board list and if I'm lucky a list of topics but I'm not able to view said topics or anything else on the boards...

Any ideas? When i had dial up eircom's server worked fine... or is this just a problem common to all esat customers...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

news.iol.ie was playing up last week, but it's been fine since monday. FYI, it's never carried any of the binary groups if that's where you're trying to get stuff from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

Esats (insert anything here) : crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

federerfan wrote:
    Esats (insert anything here) : crap

Damnit....why hasnt Moriarty banned you yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

zuma wrote:
    Damnit....why hasnt Moriarty banned you yet?

Maybe he's too busy editing my posts?

Tip:

Click on my username
    Click view public profile
    Click add to ignore list

Happy days !!!

fedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Federerfan banned from broadband for a week for mindless disruptive behaviour.

<restores thread to original topic>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Moriarty wrote:

<restores thread to original topic>
    ty.

Actually, IOL used to carry all the binary newsgroups. Back in the days of yore when it would take 12 hours and an 80 euro phonebill simply to download the subject headers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Hi.
    So I asked someone on Direct connect, if there was
    a way to download binary messages for free if you were using Bt. He told me that Newsleecher would do it.
    Well it ain't working for me.
    I haven't seen the guy in the hub since so I can't ask him how he got it to work for him.

Usenet has a free trial at the moment. Unfortunately since I don't have a credit card I can't avail of it. No, I don't have paypal either

Well I asked at one of my local banks, and was told it was for paying wages into an account.
    Is this true?

Basically I'm trying to find out if there is a way I can avail of Usenet's free trial.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Oh my.

Steve, first read up about usenet so you know what it is. I suggest www.wikipedia.org or something similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement