Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the UK?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cyrus the virus

rsynnott wrote:
    They are strictly speaking (non-sovereign) nations. The UK is a unitary state.

State is:
    From international law, defined as groups of people who have acquired international recognition as an independent country and which have four characteristics: a permanent and large population with a common language; a defined and distinct territory; a sovereign government with effective control; and a capacity to enter into relations with other states. States are the primary subjects of international law. The United Nations is comprised of all the states of the world. ...
    Google:define:state

Kingdom:
    All of the territory that is ruled over by a king.
    Google:define:kingdom

The United Kingdom (UK) is the nation state consisting of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Google define:united kingdom

Great Britan:
    An island situated north-west of continental Europe, the eighth largest island in the world. It forms the main part of England, Scotland and Wales. Various adjacent islands (eg Anglesey, Shetland, Western Isles) are counted as part of Great Britain, but not Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

and

The name of the sovereign nation is "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". (Before Ireland's independence in 1922, it was the UK of Great Britain and Ireland.) "Great Britain" is the name of the large island with England, Scotland (to the north), and Wales (a peninsula in the west). The "British Isles" include Great Britain, Ireland, and some smaller surrounding islands. ...

Google define:Great Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

ivan087 wrote:
    also, the UK would dominate rugby - having the pick of british and ulster players.

maybe in the future when rugby teams such as the USA, italy, etc get to a higher standard, then there should only be a british side.

not the case look at the lions, drawing againist the argies and getting the wolloping of their lives, (something the home nations wouldnt get on their own) :rolleyes:

thejuggler wrote:
    Does anyone know how Britain came to be called Great Britain? Should we call ourselves Fantastic Ireland? Perhaps other European Countries could join in We could have Super Spain, Fabulous France and Gigantic Germany.
    lol
    great post!!
    the first bit of humor I have heard on this board
    everybody should really try liven things up like this poster

cheers juggler!!!

I find that a lot of Irish people refer to Britain as England. I am living in Scotland since 1993 and still people (from Ireland) say 'What is it like living in England?', 'Heres some English money (referring to sterling)' etc.

This is not something peculiar to Ireland though (although I have met plenty of people who still think the Republic of Ireland (or 'Southern' Ireland) is British). They get confused when I state that the most northern part of Ireland is in 'Southern' Ireland.

I had a primary school teacher in england asked me was ireland in great britain

as you said we are no better ethier, I was at the tryone v Dublin match a while ago and heard a dublin supporter call a tryone girl a "protestant b*tch"

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

spanner wrote:
    lol
    great post!!
    the first bit of humor I have heard on this board
    everybody should really try liven things up like this poster

cheers juggler!!!

Thanks Spanner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

spanner wrote:
    I was at the tryone v Dublin match a while ago and heard a dublin supporter call a tryone girl a "protestant b*tch"
    Is that cos she wouldn't try two? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its very common these days for people to be very imprecise with language in general. I notice it a lot in technical terms and IT aswell.

Advertisement