Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What station would you work for? Why?

• 19-03-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Which Radio station would you like to work for, and why?

Up until recently I would have given my left arm to work for Spin. I was a loyal listener from its first broadcast, and I know the format inside out.

Lately I have been thinking that I may have grown out of Spin, I am 24 and I find myself wanting a bit more from a radio station. I have found a lot of what I am looking for in 2fm. (although I do think they need to shake up their line up, namely getting rid of presenters who have become part of the furniture)

If I could work for anyone it would be 2fm, I like the format, the music, they presenter style. I am a big fan of both Rick O' Shea and Nikki Hayes, and I would very much love to be part of the younger 2FM team. The NEW 2fm, net savvy generation.

So what about you guys?

Who would you work for? 53 votes

2FM
    0%
    98FM
    11%
    youcancallmealcarpothepunkaudgeUnknownpinkest*ladylotsa*questions 6 votes
    FM104
    5%
    KensingtonPackardMaltEagle 3 votes
    SPIN 103.8
    3%
    moog manSlippin Jimmy 2 votes
    TODAY FM
    5%
    carpothepunkepo addictRuby-J 3 votes
    Q102
    30%
    BardBuffyBotOutcastKeithMurwhiskeymanlimerick_mancarpothepunkTristramp2konemickdGarretsmasheyr3nu4lrockystarGO'SSizzler 16 votes
    RTE1
    0%
    Dublins Country
    7%
    flogenmonkeyfudgetSubh Deargr3nu4l 4 votes
    Phantom Fm
    0%
    Pirate Station
    22%
    byteSimonMaherroxyflogencorBigDragonQCNightwishtSubh DeargcarpothepunkGarretgilroyb 12 votes
    Newstalk 106
    7%
    dreginBuffyBotepo addictGarret 4 votes
    Other, please state
    5%
    flogenTáckwhiskeyman 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Pirate Station
    Probably Phantom for me, as then I'd be playing music I like listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

6 Music

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Pirate Station
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Phantom (interview pending) It would be great to work for a station who's broadcasting I've always enjoyed. Though unfortunately I can't listen to them online as I use a Mac and it doesn't seem to like their stream.

I'd also rather like to work for Lyric as my degree was in Music and I think I would enjoy researching pieces of music or putting together a show with something a little different in it, like world music or more obscure classical music pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Q102
    See out of our 4 national stations,
    Lyric FM is just plain classical
    RTÉ Radio 1, is too serious
    RTÉ 2fm, is seriously music
    Whereas Today fm is fun! Its light hearted entertianment with music, i like all the DJ's and I've deffo grown to love the station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Q102
    My vote goes to Today FM. In order to save me from typing too much, I'll just say I agree 99% with limerick_man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Q102
    1)BBC Radio1
    2)Todayfm
    3)RTE Radio1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Radio na Gaeltachta - I think it would be fun and interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dublins Country
    To be perfectly honest I hate radio and would rather almost any other job.

Unfortunetly I do sort of work for a radio station.. and I'm constantly miserable as a result of any aspect of my job that involves dealings with the station.

Maybe if I had the time to do some more creative things with the medium it wouldn't be so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Unfortunetly I do sort of work for a radio station.. and I'm constantly miserable as a result of any aspect of my job that involves dealings with the station.

Maybe if I had the time to do some more creative things with the medium it wouldn't be so bad.

Can I have your job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Newstalk 106

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

That's the spirit :)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Dublins Country
    NoelRock wrote:
    That's the spirit :)!
    Ah.. yes... you know only too well how infrequent my visits are to the stations offices.

Ah.. yes... you know only too well how infrequent my visits are to the stations offices.

Well actually, the last two (non-show) times I've been there, you've also been there :)!

Getting back to the topic at hand though...right now, I'd like to work at Spin. They're a station on the rise for sure. 98FM seems to be in decline, and FM104 has really become as big as it can in the present market. Spin'd be the only other local station for my age range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

BBC Radio 4. Why? Because I'm old.

I used to 'work' in pirates in the late 80's, but was always depressing as I don't think any station had any transmitter greater than 200W and you were probably have reached more listeners had we just stuck a loudspeaker out the window!

I think Internet radio is about to take off big-time in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I was mucking about with my radio and found a channel Dublin South FM. It was a bit amateurish but the show that was on played a few Led Zep tunes which was good. I'd like to have a program on that just playing classic album tracks.

I also dig Dublin City Anna Livia . They are currently seeking Irish speaking presenters to join our broadcasting team. Sadly I don't speak Irish otherwise I'd go for that for the craic.

I've a few friends who are presenters on BBC Radio Ulster and Belfast City Beat. It's a nice way of life!

Pirate Station
    el tel wrote:
    I was mucking about with my radio and found a channel Dublin South FM. It was a bit amateurish but the show that was on played a few Led Zep tunes which was good. I'd like to have a program on that just playing classic album tracks.

I also dig Dublin City Anna Livia . They are currently seeking Irish speaking presenters to join our broadcasting team. Sadly I don't speak Irish otherwise I'd go for that for the craic.
    Both of those stations are community radio stations so for the most part people work at them for free. I do some work with Dublin South myself, it sounds like you were listening to the Regatta Drive Time programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

TODAY FM
    i would love to work for spin as its a youth targeted station run by young people. however i will agree with you and previous postss that it would be brilliant to get in woth 2fm and the youth team or even on today fm. Ray and Ian have come up trumps on it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

BBC Radio 2. If you worked there, you'd know that you are working for the most listened to radio station in Europe, even more so if you have the breakfast gig, and there dont get much bigger than that.

But in Ireland.... LMFM, like! :) The poll is well skewed to Dublin listeners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Where's the Newstalk option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I vote for Newstalk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

bbc 1.....top station that has a bit of everything
    century fm...greater manchester station with tonnes of sport
    today fm...best of the irish stations

Pirate Station
    Poll edited to include Newstalk and an Other option for stations outside of those listed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

I work in tipp fm in the producing side of things but i get my air time every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'd be curious to know what you think working a radio station is actually like

I work on air in one in Dublin, (one of the main ones) and to be honest its just like any other job,

you go in, do your bit, try to keep the boss off your back and then go home. its not rocket science.

When i was trying to get into radio i thought it would be crazy and wacky all day long, its just not the case, at the end of the day, a commercial radio station is just that, a commercial enterprise there to make money.

Man, you end threads quicker than Michael Barrymore ends pool parties GiftGrub :P.

NoelRock wrote:
    Man, you end threads quicker than Michael Barrymore ends pool parties GiftGrub :P.

Thank you.....thank you very much....I'm here all week

giftgrub wrote:
    Thank you.....thank you very much....I'm here all week

Try the beef :)!

So where do ya work GiftGrub? Or rather, what do you do... I'm presuming you aren't involved in the presenting side of things?

ah no, i'm on air. not telling where though!!

But you have a choice between rte today spin 98 104 newstalk and Q

giftgrub wrote:
    ah no, i'm on air. not telling where though!!

But you have a choice between rte today spin 98 104 newstalk and Q

Go on, admit it, you're the guy who hits the gong for the Angelus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rfoley

Budgie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 murphy54

none because them are comercial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Q102
    Newstalk...cos its a cowboy laidback operation and Denis O'Brien is an investor in it so its bound to do well :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sizzler wrote:
    Newstalk...cos its a cowboy laidback operation and Denis O'Brien is an investor in it so its bound to do well :)

lol and today's listeners peaked at .... 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Q102
    2 ? Does that include the security guard in their reception ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I think it's very ignorant of you to write off Newstalk like that.

They clearly have more than "2" listeners and there's a lot to be said about their demographic which might not be snotty nosed Boards.ie keyboard junkies who don't want to know about a radio station if it isn't churning out non stop rock but none the less, has listeners that ads can be sold to.

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    I think it's very ignorant of you to write off Newstalk like that.

They clearly have more than "2" listeners and there's a lot to be said about their demographic which might not be snotty nosed Boards.ie keyboard junkies who don't want to know about a radio station if it isn't churning out non stop rock but none the less, has listeners that ads can be sold to.

You're obviously connected to the station with that kind of spirited defence.

Will you get Orla Barry to play something for me ma?

TODAY FM
    giftgrub wrote:
    I'd be curious to know what you think working a radio station is actually like

I work on air in one in Dublin, (one of the main ones) and to be honest its just like any other job,

you go in, do your bit, try to keep the boss off your back and then go home. its not rocket science.

When i was trying to get into radio i thought it would be crazy and wacky all day long, its just not the case, at the end of the day, a commercial radio station is just that, a commercial enterprise there to make money.

Are you serious? My course director keeps telling us that radio is whacky and alot of fun, you're free to do your thing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Pirate Station
    Ruby-J wrote:
    Are you serious? My course director keeps telling us that radio is whacky and alot of fun, you're free to do your thing etc.

hmmm I'd have to agree with GiftGrub to an extent. I think if this is the only thing your course director has drilled into your head then, well, (s)he's not exactly misleading you, but he isn't being as realistic as (s)he could/should be.

It's logical really: at the end of the day, everyone in the station has a job to do, and there is a particular product/service which has to be created. Continually. And consistently. To a high standard.

You know that scene in a Simpsons episode where Bart visits the offices of Mad magazine? The door swings open and it's complete nutball chaos inside? Well, I've always taken that to be a sarcastic joke by the Simpson's writers...and I think you can safely apply the same thing to commercial radio.

Yeah it's great craic, and in a lot of ways it can be much more fun than working in a deskjob (provided you enjoy radio). But when you tune in at the end of the news, and you hear witty, carefree banter being volleyed back and forth between the presenter and the newsreader, you might think "God, what a great job". But you have to remember that the same newsreader will then have to go back to their desk and calmly concentrate on their work until the next bulletin. They're not going outside to bounce around in circles on a pogo stick. Same goes for producers or anyone else - they're working under pressure to get their job done in a very specific timeframe - they're not exactly running around whooping and whipping each other with teatowels. Not ALL the time anyway. :)

I'm not trying to be po-faced at all, and I doubt giftgrub was either. Just making the point that stations don't run entirely on wackiness and good times. IF it comes across that way on-air then that just means you're listening to a professional! A pro will make it sound light and carefree (if that's what's called for) and he (or she - god, check out the sexist pig) is certainly never going to let on that 10 seconds earlier he was nearly about to poke out his producer's eyes with a blunt stick! It comes down to hard work in a pressurised environment. Not that it isn't fun, it's just not necessarily a round-the-clock party.

Hope this helps! :o

Ruby-J wrote:

if my previous post came across as bitter and negative, thats not how i meant it...i think i have a great job, i dont work too hard, get paid ok and i do something i'm interested in

as for being free to do your own thing...forget about it.

if for example a jock was to go off on some vague link about boiling eggs, or decided to bring in their personal creedence records to play during drive time...you can bet your ass there'd be a fairly sharpish meeting with the PD

its all about format...stick to it, "free to do your own thing" isnt professional and runs the risk of turning peoople off...the more people turn off the less ad revenue, the less ad revenue the less people with jobs, you get what i mean?

things are fun in work, but there is a limit, its a place of work at the end of the day

TODAY FM
    aww cool thanks guys. hmm gives me something to think about. i now about sticking to a format etc and following a playlist. thats fine yeh just i thought that it was more light hearted then anything. at least i hear the truth now before i land myself in the industry!!!! hehe:D

• Advertisement

You're obviously connected to the station with that kind of spirited defence.

It's that ignorant attitude that makes comments like the above appear.

I've never worked for Newstalk, or Denis O'Brien.

I do however work for a radio station in which there's very little you could write off about the listenership figures.. so I know a thing or two about radio and how hard people work in certain parts of the industry and the stupid comment of "does that include their security guard?" is unwarranted.

No skin off my nose, I still work for a station with big audiences, I just don't like to see blatant ignorance posted up as fact.

Big Balls wrote:
    I do however work for a radio station in which there's very little you could write off about the listenership figures.. so I know a thing or two about radio and how hard people work in certain parts of the industry and the stupid comment of "does that include their security guard?" is unwarranted.

But it still makes you come across as someone who's tetchy, defensive and who's just had a sense of humour failure.

Even those working at Newstalk would have laughed at that comment.

Newstalk is a great station, it just needs to iron out it's afternoon and nighttime programming.

But it still makes you come across

The day I start worrying what other people think of me, you'll be the first to know.
    it just needs to iron out it's afternoon and nighttime programming.

Where did you say you were a Programme Director again?

Big Balls wrote:
    The day I start worrying what other people think of me, you'll be the first to know.

Where did you say you were a Programme Director again?

Are you always that humourless and tetchy, or is it just a phase?

My opinion counts as I am a Newstalk listener.

Newstalk is pretty good on the whole, but just needs a little fine tuning of its late morning and nighttime schedules.

Pirate Station
    Lads, a little more civility please. Attack the post not the poster.

Advertisement