Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 50" plasma?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's a *lot* of money for a TV - and it's only 768 lines. At 50" you really should be looking at 1080 lines (heck there are 15" monitors with 768 lines!)

The next question is what are you going to watch on it and when? If you're 100% going to subscribe to sky's new HD then it makes a little sense, if not and you're going to watch PAL cable and DVDs for a year then you'll likely be disapointed.

Plasmas aren't great for video gaming, because they still suffer from screen burn far more than LCDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Jesus if your going to spend that much, do get a 1080i spec. Its worth it, 720p looks good on a 32", but id say its not that good on a 50".

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Not into Sport.

Basically it'll be for DVDs, SKY programming & Movies through SKY Box Office from time to time.

Had already noted the 1080i spec... thanks

So, any other 50" plasmas to recommend?

Places to purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I suppose the basic point is that without HD sources, well you're not going to get the most out of it.

Future-proofing I hear you say - well yes, only that in say 18+months time (when you can rent HDDVD or Blu-Ray in your local blockbuster), a 50" panel will probably cost 1/2 what it does today- as mass production and supply kicks in and the prices fall.

avforums.com is good, also go to Easons and buy some "home cinema" mags, read the reviews, get a feel for what's out there - spend some time don't rush out and buy the first shiny thing you see!

As for places, the usual suspects - DID, peats & currys/dixons. Harvey Normans is worth a look too.

Have a look at richersounds.ie - they're technically online but you could go up to Belfast if you want. Apart from that there's a number of good UK and german retailers which will save you quite a bit, however warranty status and returns may be a worry for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Howya doin,

Well I might suggest the Pioneer 506XDE its the latest panel and won many awards for 2005 and Pioneer. It is the best plasma apparently.

Im looking to get one myself soon and its a close call between this and the Panasonic 50" pv500 also the latest their HD lineup.

Pioneer and Panasonic are currently the best producers for Plasma screens and have poured alot of money into new manufacturing plants in order to reliably produce such advanced screens.
    Some manufacturing plants arent up to scratch for this complex task and I feel that these 2 leading companies have done this now to future proof their developement strategy.

Yes it is alot for a TV but go ahead treat yerself heck how much time do most people watch TV? 2 hours per evening on average at least?
    A fancy car costs more so whats the difference. To some Home enteretainment might be their hobby, and something to enjoy.

To justify the HD screen go for the SKY HD its unreal!! truly!
    But DONT Expect a good picture from ordinary Aerial broadcasts SKY isnt too bad.
    Reason being your stretching a picture which may look fine on a 28" ordinary CRT TV? Up to 50" not nice! Like zooming in on a picture on yer PC.
    But I guess you looked at some in shops if not do so.

Oh sorry off on a rant there go for the Pioneer.... HINT: you can get it from Holland for about €2,000 cheaper!!!

Cricky just noticed that the Phillips your looking at DOES NOT have a HDMI port??
    You will not be able to view HD content from e.g. Sky or possibly HD DVD as copyright protection may only be allowed if its through HDMI.

HDMI is THE connection type for HD content.

You must get a HD screen with HDMI port!

Read some Reviews in mags they help alot.
    P.S. Heres a link to a slightly different HD ready Phillips with a higher model No.

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/lcd-plasma-tv/plasma-tv/874249/-/Article.html?fillspace=1

HD Ready and HDMI for €1799!
    But I dont know much about Phillips

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement