Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misbehaving hard-drive(s)

• 19-03-2006 7:23pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Windows 2000 SP4
    A couple of hard-drives misbehaving here with similar problems.

- Drive showing up in Explorer but partition info appears to be scrambled.
    Offers to reformat (3 hard-drives varying degree of utilisation)

If I run Partitionmagic I can see the original partition information and also that the drives are (for example) 50% used.
    If I then try to browse the disks in Partitionmagic they show nothing at all in the partitionmagic browser.
    If I try to go to properties I get this error:

Error 1508: bad directory buffer signature

I have tried googling this and found a few instances of other people who had similar problems but no solution unfortunately.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could offer any worthwhile suggestions for repairing these disks.

FYI- Windows sees these as blank unformatted/unpartitioned disks. Ontrack Disk recovery does not see them at all. Scandisk fails with a cyclical error. Etc.

I am pretty confident that my data is still there and is uncorrupted (and am taking solace from the accounts on google of it being solved- though I wish they gave some hint as to the solution.....)

I would be very grateful for worthwhile suggestions.

Shane McCarrick

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

probably looking at a linux live cd to see what it sees on the drive

the utility gpart can be used to look for partitions
    after you've backed up the old partition table you could try changing it to the gpart values...

if paranoid you could use dd to back it up first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks for the tip- I have a bootable CD so I'll give it a shot. Yes, I am paranoid- and will back everything up.

I repaired the partition table on another drive but the contents (mostly video and music files) ended up totally scrambled- almost randomly sampled together.

Its a hard way to learn a lesson about making regular back-ups of files....... If I had a recent backup I'd simply erase the disks totally, repartition and reformat.

Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement