Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla D4D 1.4 2006

Options
  • 19-03-2006 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering do any of you have any opinions on the above car.

I'm doing around 300 miles per week min, and this is the biggest engine i can go up on insurance.

I'm waiting to take a test drive in one, but i'd value any opinions on the car itself that any of you have.

I'm 24 with a provisional, and 1 yr no claims, my insurance is looking at around 2.5k per yr fully comp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

good value, 90bhp from a 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're great on Diesel. We had one at work and were averaging around 58mpg

The good news is that Toyota are re-introducing the Strata grade for the 1.4 Diesel,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i heard from a friend that these are great cars, with great mpg. but as you know toyota are the best built cars in the world:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

15000 miles per annum. Will a diesel work out any better for you bottom line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

15000 miles per annum. Will a diesel work out any better for you bottom line?

Somoene told me that they were selling the 1.4 petrol and 1.4 D4D same price from new...anyone else confirm ?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

tred wrote:
    Somoene told me that they were selling the 1.4 petrol and 1.4 D4D same price from new...anyone else confirm ?...

Haha, if only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tred wrote:
    no chance, but from all accounts, this is supposed to be a great car.
    300 mile/week might not be enough to justify the diesel....better get out the calculator and compare it to the 1.4 petrol

Pug 307 HDi also supposed to be a great small diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tred wrote:

From http://www.carzone.ie

Toyota Corolla 1.4 Terra 5dr - €19,900 ex works.
    Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4-D Terra 5dr - €22,525 ex works.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Pug 307 HDi also supposed to be a great small diesel

Afraid Peug have dropped the 1.4 HDi from the 307 range. It has been replaced by a 90bhp version of the 1.6 HDi along side the standard 110bhp of the same 1.6 HDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I look after maintenance on a fleet of 1500 cars and if every car was a Toyota I'd be able to stay in bed most of the day. Toyotas are so reliable it's unbelievable.

• Advertisement

I think Kia were selling the Rio Petrol and Diesel at the same price for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Well my drive to work each day is around 35 miles each way, so its a min of 300 a week just for work plus any other leisure driving i have to do.

The 1.4 corolla from toyotas website, petrol that is only has an MPG of around 42, so it would make more sense to go for the diesel IMO

I'm looking at the strata grade.

Its €23775.

As i'm buying midway through the year do you reckon i could haggle a bit off?

don't think dealers will be giving much off Stratas, as they are only doing a limited run of them

sofireland wrote:
    Well my drive to work each day is around 35 miles each way, so its a min of 300 a week just for work plus any other leisure driving i have to do.

The 1.4 corolla from toyotas website, petrol that is only has an MPG of around 42, so it would make more sense to go for the diesel IMO

I'm looking at the strata grade.

Its €23775.

As i'm buying midway through the year do you reckon i could haggle a bit off?

New car sales will probably stay strong until around June or July.

The thing is that the Corolla D4-D is in very short supply and demand is very high on them. Even second hand ones are in high demand. By all means haggle and try and get the best deal possible but don't expect the same discount as a 1.4 petrol model.

Best of luck.

the 1.4 petrols are in short supply too! ;)

i thought as much. but thanks anyway, i'm hoping to get a test drive in one sometime this week.

You're not going to get a bargain, but you will get a really reliable car, and if you get the Strata a really nice looking one too!

(the re-introduced Stata won't have the blue interior that last years model had, the new one will have a black interior)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have been having a good read about this car, there's nothing but good things being said about it.

I was thinking about buying a brand new car soon enough and this seems to be the one am after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

why not save some money and get yourself a second hand Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi?

Your insurance should be less because the car value is less and you'll have a fine engine in a small car costing you very little.

Carzone have a few of them

the 206 is much smaller than the Corolla!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Corolla is a nice little car.I was strongly tempted by one but put off when I couldnt get the strata spec.

Having said that the Octavia (yes the Octavia) isnt a huge amount more expensive for a bigger car.

Octavia, you say

yeah i think i've heard of it - big boot, thinking mans golf

yeah the octavia is a lovely car, my mate has a nice one. The diesel engine tho is 1.9 which is too big for my insurance!!

Only heard bad things about the 206 re reliability, my mechanic mate is the one who pointed me towards the corolla and it looks like that will be my pick.

whats the difference between the Luna and Strata spec.
    I've seen an 06 D4D with luna spec, waiting on your man to give me a price, but can any one let me know.

Would i be better off buying new direct from a Toyota dealer

Toyota only do the D-4D Luna in saloon. Hatchbacks are only availible in Terra or Strata trim

Luna and Strata spec are quite similar (hatchback).

Luna has Climate Control, rear electric windows, a better armrest, different design alloys and silver seat material. silver dash, as well as all the Strata extras

Strata extras: Leather wheel and gearknob, side skirts, rear valance, front foglights, 15" alloys, carbon fibre dash

The guy gave me cash price of 23.5k. Was looking at 26 with trade in.

Its more than likely a stratta but he's put it down as a luna! its got air con (like we need that over here):rolleyes:

link to cbg.ie

Colm, you seem to know a thing or two, so is that the strata?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sofireland wrote:

Its more than likely a stratta but he's put it down as a luna! its got air con (like we need that over here):rolleyes:

link to cbg.ie

Strata from Toyota is €23775 ex-works.
    My neighbour has a 1.4D4D and it has the D4D badge on the boot. Don't see one on this one. Or on the side.
    Is it normal for dealers to fit the badges after they get delivered?

how much extra will i be looking at adding to that price to include the (ex) works figure?

i thought that too.

so would you say i'd be better going to a toyota dealer!

sofireland wrote:

link to cbg.ie

Sounds like the Luna model as the Strata doesn't have air con/climate control.

The Strata is easily identified by having a body kit with side skirts. The Luna is a special edition loaded with lots of extras.

• Advertisement

So is it a better buy?

I must admit i like the Look of the Strata, but the Luna does have good features too

Advertisement