Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla D4D 1.4 2006

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's likely to be a Strata with aircon, as opposed to a Luna. The Luna has climate control, and isn't availible as a diesel. Factory Air conditioning usually adds 1200 to the price of a Corolla, but I've never seen a diesel strata with air conditioning (think they were availible as special order last year)

Re: the badges, the cars come with the trim level badges in the drivers door, it's up to the dealer to fit them.

The main problem with a D-4D Strata with aircon at €26,000 is that an Avensis 1.6 Strata is €26,600, fair enough it's not a diesel but it's a much bigger car.

You can tell a Strata from a Luna by the alloys.
    toyota-corolla.jpg

(Strata alloys - on a Sol)

toyota-corolla-verso_2.jpg

(Luna alloys - on a Verso)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Thanks!
    I was in two toyota dealers today.

One has one available (a d4d 1.4 strata) cash price 22k. But i don't want in blue. Says he can't order in one for me???

Was in another and he said that if i came in and put a deposit off one, i'd have one in two months?

Is there some reason why one can get it for me and the other can't?

Needless to say at this stage i'm looking at the strata and trying to get the best cash price i can.

Malones Navan, only have it in metallic blue, cost 22k
    Meehans Dundalk don't have any but will order in at a price of 23300 inc metallic paint...

As far as i know air con is an option which costs an extra 1100 yo yos. Eh its not southern spain we live in!

Gonna shop around the dealers and see what i can get!

Anyone able to recommend any toyota dealers in the dublin meath area?

€22,000 is a huge discount, €2,700, he's making absolutely nothing on it.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense for a car that is as rare as hens teeth. must be desperate to make sales!

Toyota are only doing a limited run of them, so they can't be ordered,

Maybe i'm being picky. But i only want this car in black!

One dealer said yeah no prob, (so he's prob lying) and another was like not a hope mate!

The metallic blue isn't that bad, but the black looks a whole lot better IMO

I thought that was a great price too, if it wasn't for the colour, again, me being picky and waiting on a few things to come through before i buy.

The car is in stock and ready to go too so thats a major plus!

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I own a 05 corolla terra saloon in frost blue and love the car. its a I.4 and it just goes. Trouble is that the car is rather boring, so i tinted the windows, put on loads of chrome and fitted a corolla emblem on the grille, and also bought a sharkfin aerial to replace the beesting which doesnt suit the car at all. Now all i need is the alloys from this years Luna. But no dealer sells them and none of the alloy wheel dealers have them either? Anyone know who they are made by?
    Ive already left some posts under alloys for 05 corolla. Ive only seen them on 2 old type corolla versos. These alloys are fitted as standard to the japanese I.8 Luxel which has leather interior of which i enclose a picture.

I also notice that only the hatchback is available in all four specs, whereas the saloon and estate
    are only one spec. Why not a saloon and estate strata, sol, luna etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

G Luxel wrote:
    I also notice that only the hatchback is available in all four specs, whereas the saloon and estate
    are only one spec. Why not a saloon and estate strata, sol, luna etc etc

The hatchbacks are built in the UK so as there are alot of different RHD trim levels for the the UK market already in production it is easier for Mr Toyota to offer a slightly wider but still rather limited range over here.

The saloon and estate are made in Turkey afaik, these sell in small numbers in RHD countries such as Ireland and the UK so the range is limited.

I did hear before that the higher spec Luna model saloon has the alloys and fog lights fitted here when it arrives off the ship rather than in the factory. Don't know how much truth there is to this though.

My mate has a hatch and it does look a bit plain but as you said you can customise it to your hearts content.

Thanks for all the replies the info is really helpful.

Must organise me a test drive!

Replied to PM

The saloon is availible in two trim levels here (Luna and Terra)
    There isn't any market for a Strata version of the Saloon, and the Tourer hardly sells anyway.

• Advertisement

It appears the strata is nigh on impossible to get, hen's teeth is a good description, so far 2 out of 3 dealers have said there is no hope!

I was offered a luna, but if you fitted the skirts and alloys it'd prob cost more than the stratta!

the Luna (5dr)has alloys and skirts, and costs more than a Strata.

my mistake... i meant terra D'oh!

yeah, alloys and fogs will cost you €1250, the same as a Strata upgrade, as well as not getting the skirts, you lose out on the leather wheel and remote audio too

B*******!!!! :mad:

Ah well all good things come to those who wait...

The remote radio controls aren't really an issue as i've a Pioneer Radio like this

dehp70bt_detailpage.jpg

with ipod adapter and remote!:D

But i may just use the one that comes in the corolla!!

Its not that bad in this colour

2932B6C8-D151-4A2A-A330-19F7EB79871D.jpg

never seen anyone fitting aftermarket stereo to new type Corolla, you lose the trip computer, temperature and clock if you ditch the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The Corolla strata has only just come back out in D4D, This has
    side skirts, alloys, leather wheel and gear knob and blue seat trim

Toyota list price € 23,775

The corolla luna d4d is only availible in the saloon 4DR model, you cannot get a 5DR D4D Luna

The Luna 5DR has all the strata spec except silver trim instead of blue . It also gets climate control and a metal look dash.

The luna saloon has Alloys and Air Con

The Corolla strata has only just come back out in D4D, This has
    side skirts, alloys, leather wheel and gear knob and blue seat trim

Toyota list price € 23,775

The corolla luna d4d is only availible in the saloon 4DR model, you cannot get a 5DR D4D Luna

The Luna 5DR has all the strata spec except silver trim instead of blue . It also gets climate control and a metal look dash.

The luna saloon has Alloys and Air Con

Luna 5dr also gets rear electric windows a bigger armrest, and has black seats this year instead of blue

you need to add metallic and delivery onto the Toyota price too!

those lovely Luna alloys were already fitted to Japanese built Verso imported here and also the Japan market Luxel which is a luna sort of car but more like a Lexus with cream leather and wooden trim. As for saying the saloon and estate are made in Turkey, it makes me wonder why the Dunlop tyres say Made in Japan and the replacements are Made in Great Britain which are 95 euro each and I cant see Toyota for the life of me shipping tyres over to Turkey. Not sure where the Michelin tyres for this years Luna come from. I cant find any reference to Turkey, even Toyota Ireland claim that both cars are imported from Japan. I hope im not driving a Turkish built car cos it would probably fall apart. It would also find it hard to believe that the alloys etc are fitted in Ireland after they arrive. A dealer recently showed me the CD of the accessories, from all over the world, but no sign of those lovely luna alloys for this year. Eventually another dealer told me that the alloys to buy and fit are 500 euro a piece. I also found this interesting website, now the english is not exactly understandable, but there is plenty of information on corollas from around the world but only the NZE I2I or NCV corolla that the present Corolla is known as.
    http://ncvcorolla.loops.jp

G Luxel wrote:
    those lovely Luna alloys were already fitted to Japanese built Verso imported here and also the Japan market Luxel which is a luna sort of car but more like a Lexus with cream leather and wooden trim. As for saying the saloon and estate are made in Turkey, it makes me wonder why the Dunlop tyres say Made in Japan and the replacements are Made in Great Britain which are 95 euro each and I cant see Toyota for the life of me shipping tyres over to Turkey. Not sure where the Michelin tyres for this years Luna come from. I cant find any reference to Turkey, even Toyota Ireland claim that both cars are imported from Japan. I hope im not driving a Turkish built car cos it would probably fall apart. It would also find it hard to believe that the alloys etc are fitted in Ireland after they arrive. A dealer recently showed me the CD of the accessories, from all over the world, but no sign of those lovely luna alloys for this year. Eventually another dealer told me that the alloys to buy and fit are 500 euro a piece.

It doesn't matter where the tyres on the car are made as they are made by someone else. Manufacturers put different make tyres on their cars all the time, which ever suitable tyre they get the best deal on. Granted for example French cars might use French tyres such as Michelin or some German cars use Continental but this is probably a patriotic thing more than anything else. My Avensis came with Michelin tyres when I bought it new 3 years ago. My soon to be father-in-law bought an Avensis in 2004 and it had Bridgestone tyres. Both cars came from the same factory in the UK.

Toyota have factories in the UK, France, Turkey and the Czech Republic. The Corolla saloon Verso and estate have been made in Turkey since 2002. The Corolla hatchback, Yaris and Avensis are all built in the UK. The Aygo is built in the Czech Republic. The only ones that come from Japan these days are the Camry and Prius afaik. The UK built Avensis is imported back to Japan. Build quality and reliability on all these cars is still excellent.

• Advertisement

G Luxel wrote:
    I cant find any reference to Turkey, even Toyota Ireland claim that both cars are imported from Japan.

Just did a quick google and came across this from the horse's mouth:
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/0127.html

Ive checked my own car and found the tyres were made in japan, all the handbooks were printed there, and the glass was made there too so the car must have been shipped directly from there. When I asked the dealer, i was told that the country of origin on the VRT cert said Japan, anyway i couldnt see how a 20,000 euro car is built in Turkey when the labour cost is just peanuts. It should retail for far less over here if that is the case. The Aygo starts at II,000 and it being made in the czech republic. The Yaris is built in france and the Camry doesnt come here anymore. its now being replaced by a 2.4 litre Avensis. The majority of the Camrys are built in America. And for the record, a I.8 litre Corolla luxel in Japan retails at I8,000 euros roughly and a I.3 litre corolla X retails at I0,000 euros roughly. We are being ripped off sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

G Luxel wrote:
    We are being ripped off sky high.
    Only realising that now?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

G Luxel wrote:
    We are being ripped off sky high.

Yes but not by Toyota, it's our illegal import tax (VRT) that we all seem so happy to pay.

If the strata has come back out, why is it so hard to get then? The phrase hen's teeth has been thrown around by the few dealers i've called into!

So if i put in my stereo i lose all that stuff, i may just leave it in the old car, seems such a waste as it cost 550!!

G Luxel wrote:
    Ive checked my own car and found the tyres were made in japan, all the handbooks were printed there, and the glass was made there too so the car must have been shipped directly from there. When I asked the dealer, i was told that the country of origin on the VRT cert said Japan, anyway i couldnt see how a 20,000 euro car is built in Turkey when the labour cost is just peanuts. It should retail for far less over here if that is the case. The Aygo starts at II,000 and it being made in the czech republic. The Yaris is built in france and the Camry doesnt come here anymore. its now being replaced by a 2.4 litre Avensis. The majority of the Camrys are built in America. And for the record, a I.8 litre Corolla luxel in Japan retails at I8,000 euros roughly and a I.3 litre corolla X retails at I0,000 euros roughly. We are being ripped off sky high.

My Avensis has the owner's manual printed in Japan,doesn't mean it is built there, some parts are also Japanese and British made.

Without getting into a long debate about it, different parts are manufactured in different places but the cars are manufactured or assembled in different places too. It makes economical sense to use common parts on different models irrespective of where these individual parts are produced. Toyota doesn't have to make tyres or glass in Turkey in order to manufacture a car there. These parts could be made by a third party company licenced to make parts for Toyota and fitted to the cars on the assembly line in Turkey, UK or wherever. As to the cost of the car here, that is mostly down to market pricing ie. similarly priced to other cars in this segment and more importantly our Government's high VRT taxation system that motorists have to pay.

Again here is the link from the Toyota Corporate website back in 2004 stating that the Corolla saloon, estate and Verso are manufactured in Turkey: http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/0127.html

Due to high currency exchange rates, high labour rates and EU import limitation directives it makes more economical sense long term for non EU car manufactures to make cars in Europe. Honda and Nissan have been doing so also since the 1980s.

sofireland wrote:
    If the strata has come back out, why is it so hard to get then? The phrase hen's teeth has been thrown around by the few dealers i've called into!

So if i put in my stereo i lose all that stuff, i may just leave it in the old car, seems such a waste as it cost 550!!

The stereos in Toyotas have been integrated for a good number of years now. It could probably be fitted but would look terrible and as stated the trip computer, etc would no longer work. Unfortunately the Corolla stereo system is pretty basic, radio, cd player and 4 speakers I think.

Take the stereo out of your old car and sell it seperately on buy n sell or something, put back in the original one or buy a really cheap crappy one and let that one go with the car. You will get nothing extra for it from the dealer.

I'm giving my old car to my girlfriend, so she can keep that...

Is there anyway to hook an Ipod into this radio thats standard in the corolla. As long as it plays CDs thats the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sofireland wrote:
    I'm giving my old car to my girlfriend, so she can keep that...

Is there anyway to hook an Ipod into this radio thats standard in the corolla. As long as it plays CDs thats the main thing.
    you can get a FM transmitter for almost all mp3 players and iPods, which plug into your iPod and you just tune your radio into the frequency it broadcasts on.

• Advertisement

yeah, i forgot about that, i've one of those gismos that i used before i got my new stereo! well thats all good then.

Just have to find a car now!

Advertisement