Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia shafts Apache

• 19-03-2006 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Lads

I have searched the forum, but having tried everything already listed, I have to post.

I am sat behind the Netopia router, and need a webserver by the morning to pitch software to clients. I've a mild case of alopecia due the hours I've spent bashing at this problem. In order to save time, this is what I have done.

Having a friend ready to ping when asked, I have...

entered my IP in the httpd.conf, listening on port 80

I have opened up the HTTP service on the router.

I have tried the IP passthrough.

I have temporarily disabled the router firewall.

Etc., etc.

I need help in getting this going, I'll buy beers galore for whoever can help.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is Apache working on localhost / 127.0.0.1?

(Configure it to Listen on * if it's currently listening on a specific IP address...)
    # Listen on all interfaces
    Listen *
    # Default VirtualHost
    <VirtualHost *>
    ServerName blah
    </VirtualHost>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 reptonite

Thanks for the first step.

However, I might be wrong here, but if my friend times-out every time he pings my so-called IP, does it matter what ports Apache is listening to?

The reason I'm posting here is because I have either...

a) not understood correctly the relationship between my router and my machine,

b) got my router set up in such a fashion that it's a brick wall to apache, or

c) none of the above, and through sheer PHP fatigue am missing something completely stupid.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Tried using a shake'n'bake server bundle? ala WAMP?

Also, might sound blindingly obvious but if you can access your routers control panel by just entering the IP address then it has port 80 reserved (and therefore a webserver won't run on port 80).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ICMP requests may be blocked on the wan side, hence your mate not being able to ping you.

Its been around 2 years since I've had a netopia modem, but I have had various services available to the web, including HTTP and FTP.

IIR the setup wasn't anything extra-ordinary. I was using WAMP as well.

For remote admin of the netopia box, a seperate port is used, so all you really need todo is forward http to your computer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

reptonite wrote:
    if my friend times-out every time he pings my so-called IP, does it matter what ports Apache is listening to?
    Yes and no.

Yes, it signifies that he might not be able to access your machine at all, however as someone else said, PING might be blocked separately; or if you're running NAT and the port isn't NATted to your machine, it'll likely hang; or Apache might not be configured correctly.

Apache is the simplest thing to debug: if you can load it locally, it's running. It'll take less than the time it took to reply to me. :)

adam

• Advertisement

I am shaking and baking with xampp. But the fact that the router config is (now) obviously running on 80 might do the trick.

For the love of god, why make these things so fecking complicated???

I shall hack away and keep you updated.

Thanks, but watch this space for more posts........PLEASE

Lads, if you read my post, forget it. My mate still can't log in.

So, I have it currently working on 8080 on my machine, using both the IP and a DynDNS address.

So why can't anyone else see it?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

reptonite wrote:
    Lads, if you read my post, forget it. My mate still can't log in.

So, I have it currently working on 8080 on my machine, using both the IP and a DynDNS address.

So why can't anyone else see it?
    Maybe its just your mate?

PM me the address you're trying to use and I'll see if I can view your site.

And special thanks to Cult.

I am now hold the definitive guide to fecking around with the eircom router to get a web server up and running. I will post at length once I have dealt with business.

Cheers

M

Advertisement