Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips, advice, recommendations, no-no's etc for a beginner commuter plz...

Options
  • 19-03-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi,
    I'm gonna try to keep this brief. I'm thinking of getting a bike and starting to cycle to and from work each day.
    I'm a 24 yr old female. Not the fittest, but not the worst either. I basically want to cycle to get some exercise, and maybe lose a few lbs if I'm lucky too! Also I think it might work out just as quick as getting the bus!
    I haven't been on a bike since I was a kid, so I'm basically looking for every bit of advice you guys can give me, from what bike to go for (not looking for anyhting too flash or expensive), accessories etc.
    I think it will be about 3 miles to work and 3 back.
    I'm going to have to cycle through a bust junction too though (newlands cross) which I'm not too sure about!
    All advice from clothing, safety etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Also how long do you think it would take to cycle each direction? I'm clueless!
    Thanks in advance.

Oh, and one more thing...how do you combat the sweatyness! I dont really fancy getting to work and being a bit wiffy for the rest of the day! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BringItOn

If you're only starting to cycle again,there is no need to get anything flash.
    You can get a good standard mountain bike for about €250 or else a second hand one for about half the price.I would recommend that you get a helmet to start with as well-you're looking at about €50.You should also get lights!

The length of the journey should not be a problem to you....you'll be flying before you know it!I would suggest about 20 minutes each way would be a good estimate?That's if you plan to stop at red lights.
    As for how to avoid the sweat.You will really need a light jacket that allows your skin to breath.These kind of jackets are a bit more expensive but well worth it if you want to avoid sweat being trapped.It would also help to carry any bag on a carrier at the back.I find heat gets trapped when I cycle with a bag on my back.But I have the luxury of showering when I cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Definitely go for it, you won't look back.
    This book comes highly recommended on how to cycle properly in traffic, though I haven't read it myself:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0117020516/qid=1142806745/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-9957174-1307019

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

BringItOn wrote:
    If you're only starting to cycle again,there is no need to get anything flash.
    You can get a good standard mountain bike for about €250 or else a second hand one for about half the price.I would recommend that you get a helmet to start with as well-you're looking at about €50.You should also get lights!
    I would not recommend a mountain bike, but a hybrid instead. The hybrid is designed for road use so will have a lighter frame and narrower tyres, both will make the bike faster.
    With the clocks changing shortly you may not need lights until October, depending on your working hours.

Putting your bag on the carrier is a great idea. A hybrid might come with one, as it is designed for commuting.
    CycleWays on Parnell St have a lady's hybrid for e285 and another for e189. Both have full mudguards and a rear carrier. I know nothing about these bikes but it gives you an idea of what's available.
    BringItOn wrote:
    But I have the luxury of showering when I cycle to work.
    Me too. I'm sweating like mad when I get in (9miles one way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Raleigh Chopper for sure.

:D

Seriously, why not sticky a thread that gives good reccomendations for some beginers/intermediate bikes in a given area, like commuter, mtb, road etc. Would that be promotion by Boards.ie? I don't know, definately something about commuting anyway, pretty common question.

For a three mile spin I wouldn't worry too much. Get whatever you can afford with some slick tyres and helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Insert name____

Thanks for all your replies! :)
    I've never heard of a hybrid before, but I'll look into them :) Daymobrew, you said that shop has one for 200 ish euro. That's a bit steep for me (I dont wanna spend too much, only to end up giving up the cycling after a week!), so I'm going to try and find a 2nd hand one if I can. Anything really just to get me started.

I was looking at the traffic etc on my way home from work today. The roads look a bit scary!
    ..The pavements are very rarely used at all....is it actually against the law to cycle on them? I'm tempted to use them for some of the journey, as there are never any pedestrians on them because of the road i'm using.
    I hate it when I'm walking along and a bike flies by me on the pavement (especially when i have headphones on and dont hear it approaching) tho, but if there is no-one on them I might use them for the more dangerous bits....

If anyone has anymore advice for beginner plz let me know :) Thanks :)

As for the sweatyness, ...I think I'll just cycle up in a tracksuit etc, and bring my work clothes with me..and plenty of baby wipes and deodorant! Unfortunatly we have no access to showers in work.
    Coming home will be fine though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

By spending a little extra you are unlikely to give up as easily as you would be if you bought a really cheap bike. Having said that, I commute on a €50 bike; an old road bike. It won't really be that big a difference over the journey you'd be making. Get something that's comfortable. Don't cylce on pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I would say that you are better off on the road in the long run, even if it does seem dangerous. It's mostly because you are not used to it.
    In my view, it's best to learn how to handle traffic rather than shying away from it. You will quickly get to grips with it, so don't worry too much about it. Just remember to signal and be seen.

Best gear for cycling in is shorts, or tights if it's really really cold. Otherwise you just end up too hot and sweaty. I've been using shorts all winter as it hasn't been all that cold for me. A simple pair will do for the start, if you find that you are going to stick with cycling, then you can invest in some better ones.

best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I leave it to the others on Bikes.

Clothes.

Leggings: In Dunnes often selling about 10-15 Euro

Windcheater Light: for the summer

hi Vis Vest: Try Atlantic Home Care under 10 Euro Recently

Rain Jacket: Must be waterproof.

Helmet with enought space to place a woolen cap underneath during cold weather.

At work it is handy to have a spare pair of shoes and socks.b For the really wet days.

In winter: Plently of lights available at reasonable proces.

Reflective Leg Strips (Aldi/Lidl) or good bike shops.

Ski Gloves for the really really cold mornings

On the commute, do not expect to loose lbs. It is too short to have a big effect. It can be considered a bonus. The commute will allow you to get improved personnal health.

As somebody said above, get into it and you will never look back.

On the worst morning, it is mind over matter. But do not start there, start with the easy and persist.

Good Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Do you have somewhere to park the bike? If you can bring it indoors.

Two things you need are a helmet and a bike lock.

My average is about 12 miles an hour so three miles to work might take 15 to 20 minutes. Depends on if it's uphill or downhill.

You won't regret going to work on a bike. You won't have to queue to start (buses) and you won't be stuck in traffic (cars).

And did you see this on another thread

Public Auction of bicycles

A public auction of bicycles will take place at Kevin Street Garda Station, Dublin 8 on Thursday March 23rd at 11am. Viewing will take place on Wednesday March 22nd 2006 from 10am to 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I hate it when I'm walking along and a bike flies by me on the pavement (especially when i have headphones on and dont hear it approaching).

Make sure you don't wear your headphones when you start riding to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As for the sweatyness, ...I think I'll just cycle up in a tracksuit etc, and bring my work clothes with me..and plenty of baby wipes and deodorant! Unfortunatly we have no access to showers in work.
    Coming home will be fine though.
    Thats what I do. Once you get fitter the sweat reduces.

I would not skimp on the bike, cheap ones do not last long so are really not economical. As mentioned it gives incentive to keep it up, like annual gym memberships. At least if you buy second hand you should be able to get around the same price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I haven't been on a bike since I was a kid

Before you try and cycle on the main road make sure you practice and are comfortable with the cycling basics, balance, braking, starting off/stopping, steering, changing gears, giving hand signals, looking behind you, maneuvering at fast/slow speeds, etc.

You also need to learn to read the road ahead of you i.e. when to slow down so you won't have to stop at lights, etc. Particularly watch out for the real dangers of cycling to the left of left turning vehicles, people opening car doors, if you can't see the driver they can't see you, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Assume that every car is going to do something stupid....because they will! You may be in the right in a situation but thats not much use to you when you're flying over a bonnet. After many near misses I've learnt to give cars the right of way ALWAYS whether they have the right of way or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I'm looking into cycling again myself although in my case it would be from Heuston station to work. Anyone know if a folding bike is a reasonable alternative to buying a cheap bike and leaving to the vagaries of Dublin night life at Heuston?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've seen a fair few people using folding bikes. Not sure how efficient they are, but they'll get you from A to B, eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

dont know about folding bikes, but if you are planning on leaving it at the station everyday, you dont really need a folding bike.
    For locking over night, you would be mad not to use the bike park at the back of the station. Its free, but probably about 5 mins walk from any platforms. Dont know if bikes have been stolen from there, but it is still much better than locking up anywhere else in a 10 minute walk from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

for beginners I would recommend a couple of things not in any order

1) have mud guards.. you will really regret if you dont.
    2) learn to look behind you with confidence. it can cause you to wobble if you dont have the hang of it,and you dont want to wobble with a bus behind you.
    3) when stopped at lights , try and pull a bit infront of them so they all know you are there, especially trucks.. you need to be 8 - 10 feet infront before they can see you
    4) if a truck/bus is stopped at lights, you may be tempted to pass on the inside. Underestimate this manovure and it may be the last thing you ever do !!!
    5) dont be too afraid to cycle on the path, but remember, walkers have the right of way, and often, as you know they dont hear you.
    This is also something you will see in the city, where walkers, if they dont hear a car will walk out on the road with out looking.. !! its true.. and as they dont hear cyclists you may be needing dental work. Hit the brakes hard, but dont be afraid to shout a warning or comment of your choice, although this can (as also a bell can) cause a "rabbit in the head lights effect"
    6) DO NOT BUY A CHEAP LOCK !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Gegerty wrote:
    Assume that every car is going to do something stupid....because they will! You may be in the right in a situation but thats not much use to you when you're flying over a bonnet. After many near misses I've learnt to give cars the right of way ALWAYS whether they have the right of way or not.

I wouldnt say observation is the key, its not only cars that will do something stupid but pedestrians as bealbocht says, and also other cyclists, chances are if somebody can do something stupid, they will. Especially when starting off a very defensive cycling style would be best, dont try to squeeze through too many gaps, hop up and down off kerbs etc.

As for the bike, you dont want to spend too much on it but the more expensive the bike the nicer it is to cycle and the less hassle it will give you. I know a lot of bike shops have stopped doing second hand bikes but try them first as they will be able to advise you about fit etc.

You wont regret it once you start!!!
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

bealbocht's advice is spot on.

But just one or two more.

1. Watch passengers in cars, sometimes people get out without looking in the mirrors, girls are particularly bad for this. Keep an eye on the passeneger seat for a head and be prepared to stop quickly if you need to.

2. If you pass a young male in a car they will generally try, very aggressively to get by you again.

3. Have good breaks, there will be a few times when you will need to stop quickly, make sure your breaks are up to scratch.

4. Be very careful when passing large vehicles. *I know bealbocht said this*
    but it is THAT important.

5. Definitely get a good lock, I use two locks and my bike's a ball of crap!

6. Wear a helmet.

I had a crash about 6 months ago in town while cycling, the trafficlights where green but the traffic wasn't moving due to congestion, so while cycling down the cyclepath a padestrian who was texting and walking stepped out infront of me. We collided and I was fine, ended up on my back infront of a car, lucky it wasn't moving. The padestrian was a bit cut but not too serious. My bike was ruined, back wheel buckeled something awful. Not one driver got out to help or ask if we where ok. Another cyclist came along and helped us.
    After that and a prevoius run in with a taxi who tried to barge me out of the way while changing lanes, his front tyre actually rubbed my shoe (scared the bejausus outta me) on the quays I lost all appetite for cycling in Dublin.

Good luck though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

bealbocht wrote:
    2) learn to look behind you with confidence. it can cause you to wobble if you dont have the hang of it,and you dont want to wobble with a bus behind you.
    Or get a mirror. I have the Zefal Dooback, from CycleWays. I rarely have to look behind me.
    bealbocht wrote:
    3) when stopped at lights , try and pull a bit infront of them so they all know you are there, especially trucks.. you need to be 8 - 10 feet infront before they can see you
    Grimlock wrote:
    2. If you pass a young male in a car they will generally try, very aggressively to get by you again.
    Combining these two - it is often worth sticking behind the first car. They might want to dash off, potentially taking you out. I used to do this on a motorcycle: let them race off and I head off without a fear of being rear ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Grimlock wrote:
    5. Definitely get a good lock, I use two locks and my bike's a ball of crap!

After that and a prevoius run in with a taxi who tried to barge me out of the way while changing lanes, his front tyre actually rubbed my shoe (scared the bejausus outta me) on the quays I lost all appetite for cycling in Dublin.

That's the point where you reach down, take one of your locks and put it through his windscreen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

Hi!

You're definitely doing the right thing. I was in your shoes, hadn't been on a bike since I was about ten and I just started cycling again about two years ago.

I found it a bit scary at the beginning with cars whizzing by etc. So I started by doing a bit of practice on routes that had a cycle lane. That got me used to the idea of being on the road with other vehicles. I also tended to cycle a lot with my boyfriend who was more used to the cycling than me and that gave me a bit more confidence and I was a lot less scared. The great thing about a bike (as opposed to a car) is that you can get on and off when you please eg. when you get to scary junctions! So until I got more confident on it I tended to walk the bike across traffic lights.

About the sweating, it tends to get better as you cycle more, when I first started I needed to take a shower every day as soon as I got home! What I've got now, which is really handy, is a breathable under layer thingy. I wear it while cycling and bring in a seperate top to change into when I arrive so that way I feel a bit fresher.

I wouldn't advice cycling on the path and if it must be done to go extra slow as in walking speed. I got pulled over by a cycle cop a year ago and had to go to court and everything for having cycled too fast on the path. It's not really very clever and it tends to get on pedestrians goat (which is a bad thing cus we need them on our side against all the nasty car drivers :D )

In my experience hybrids are best for commuting, I had a mountain bike first and they're so heavy and hard to cycle and unnecessary unless you're actually using them in the right context. Racers are much faster but if you're only doing short distances to work there's no point in forking out for one of them.

Otherwise just enjoy it - even when it's raining remember you get to your destination faster because you're not stuck in a traffic jam ;)

Advertisement