Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince & The Revolution - Around the world in a day

Options
  • 19-03-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

The year is 1985 - Around the world in a day is the follow up album to the smash hit album Purple Rain anc contains the now classic singles "Raspberry Beret" and "Pop Life".

The year is 2006 and 3121 is about to be released. Prince is not as big as he used to be but I am still looking forward to the new album.

Just back from a daytrip to Belfast where I bought "Around the world" I am listening back to this masterpiece.

Truly, it didn´t sell as well as Purple Rain but Prince was on the rise and megasellers like "Parade" or "Sign of the times" released after "Around the world in a day" easily proof.

Twenty-one years on the artwork is still class and so are the songs, from "Conditions of the heart" to "America". Admittedly, the 8.21 minutes long "Temptation" is a bit lame in comparison to "Purple Rain" but the album has grace and is clearly art, walking a totally different path than anaything that had been released in 1985.

Even the weird opening flute sound to "Around the world in a day", the song which gives name to the album has more melody than most songs we have to endure nowadays when we listen to the radio.

Prince truly was one of the most influential musicians of the late 70s/ early to mid 80s and I wish him well with his new album 3121.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Prince back catalogue is badly in need of an overhaul.

Two disc special editions would be nice. Complete with 12" versions of the singles and relevant b-sides.

Remastering would be need to be done properly - not just loudness and over-compression for the sake of it.

The existing CD versions are ok but pale in comparison to the vinyl pressings.

He deserves a proper box set too. Although the live One Nite Alone is pretty good.

My top 10 Prince LPs

1 Sign Of The Times
    2 Dirty Mind
    3 The Black Album
    4 Around The World In A Day
    5 Purple Rain
    6 Lovesexy
    7 Parade
    8 Diamonds And Pearls
    9 1999
    10 Controversy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nutgroist

2 disc special would be perfect - his b-sides and 12 inches in those days were as good as anything on the albums. She's Always In My Hair was a classic. And the 20 minute version of America - a funk masterpiece

Advertisement