Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in Ireland ... bank account moves, too ?

Options
  • 19-03-2006 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

My situation: I live in Dublin and I've got a new job in Limerick.

I've had a current account with BOI for 5 years in the local branch, and I have DD, etcs all set up on that account.

I would like to keep this current account, Can I operate it from any BOI branch ?

I called BOI 365, and the rep told me that I need to open another account.
    I cannot believe that with today's technologies I cannot use my account from the BOI branch in Limerick. I could do without the hassle of changing account, move the DDs, new laser card, etc.

Any similar experiences ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can keep your Dublin account.

I'm not sure what you mean by "operate" your account - do you have to go to the branch a lot to get things done? If not, you should be fine. There are some things which can only be done by your home branch, but that's not going to be everyday stuff. Internet and telephone banking can take care of most of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

What I meant was:

-set up/cancel Direct Debit/standing order
    -send money abroad

come to think of it these things can be done also by phone/mail

Is there something else who needs the account holder to be phisically present in the branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've just changed my account branch with no hassle whatsoever. but I had to get a new account number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

how about overdraft facility ? do you have to fee again ?

laser card ?

DDs get transffered automatically ?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

oli_ro wrote:
    My situation: I live in Dublin and I've got a new job in Limerick.

I've had a current account with BOI for 5 years in the local branch, and I have DD, etcs all set up on that account.

I would like to keep this current account, Can I operate it from any BOI branch ?

I called BOI 365, and the rep told me that I need to open another account.
    I cannot believe that with today's technologies I cannot use my account from the BOI branch in Limerick. I could do without the hassle of changing account, move the DDs, new laser card, etc.

Any similar experiences ?
    Sounds like the rep didn't know what he/she was talking about, this should not be necessary - unless they have changed the rules recently. Both my parents & I have changed addresses a couple of times but kept our BOI accounts at the original branch.
    You should just be able to change your address so they can send your statements to your new address. As far as operating your account, you should be able to use any branch to do any transactions that cannot be done over the phone or internet.
    The only reason to change branches I can think of is if you needed to have regular chats with the manager, but since they have much less discretion than they did in the past on issues like loans, overdrafts etc this is unlikely to be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

You do not need to open another account.

Just arrange for the address to be changed.

Changing direct debits and standing orders is hassle and inevitably results in missed payments.

Internet banking, ATM withdrawals, cheque lodgments - all this stuff can be done without changing branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

On re-reading the OP I think what nlgbbbblth said is correct. I myself just used my former branch ok by just changing the address. I had to cahnge my account over for other reasons.

I suspect that the bank reps get some sort of kudos for what appears to be a new account in the branch. I myself can't believe the reasons that the rep gave me for changing my account over but in the end up it is ok. I got a new card PDQ though but all the DD's etc have moved over fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You could open an account in your local branch, but the only benefit would be for lodging cheques quickly. They'd still have to go through the normal clearing process, unless (I think) they're actually drawn on that branch, which is not really that much faster.

Other than that, there is no other reason for opening an account in the new branch. If all your direct debits etc are already in an existing account, I would not bother changing it.

In my own situation, I operate an account with a bank Branch in a town I've never been in. In fact, now that I think I don't think I've even been in the County.

Advertisement