Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Neighbours have it, why can't I?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 102091101

techno wrote:
    I said it before............and I'll say it again.................get the e-mail address of someone high up in Eircom. Send them a letter and watch the wheels go into motion.

I was talking to a broadband manager today and i lodged an official complaint about a month ago with no avail. How high up do I need to go? Post an email address and i'll try..........

But I do disagree with the sentiment. This should have been dealt with easily enough by people on the ground, and that kind of an email should be a last resort .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Eircom supposedly tries to shift lines so that customers on carrier lines can get broadband. It sounds like that's what they're planning to do for you. It's difficult to understand why it took them so long to figure that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

I must say that in the past I have contacted ComReg, had no prblem getting through to their complaints dept., lodged my complaint (about Eircom bill). They contact Eircom for me AND called me back within hours) - problem sorted. I could imagine, however, that the number of peole contacting them with complaints may have grown since then but their resources may not have. Did you ever contact the ComReg with a complaint? I have on at least 2 occasions and had very positive results/good service on both occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 techno

Spuddeeez wrote:
    I must say that in the past I have contacted ComReg, had no prblem getting through to their complaints dept., lodged my complaint (about Eircom bill). They contact Eircom for me AND called me back within hours) - problem sorted. I could imagine, however, that the number of peole contacting them with complaints may have grown since then but their resources may not have. Did you ever contact the ComReg with a complaint? I have on at least 2 occasions and had very positive results/good service on both occasions.

I contacted Comreg myself and although they were very helpful, they said that they can't deal with broadband.

102091101 wrote:
    Can any isp guy give a professional guess to why my line is failing, just for reasons of my sanity?

Just like my case. There is no reason why you shouldn't have broadband. Anyone would think that we were getting it for free!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

techno wrote:
    Comreg .....they don't regulate broadband.

But they do regulate "functional internet access" which is a legal entitlement on all eircom lines and you are entitled to 28.8k min. Eircom cannot tell you any more that you have a 'voice line' because it must also support "functional internet access"

If eircom bother fixing your line to carry 28.8k signals then it will probably pass for BB thereafter.

If you would rather not ask Orla for help then try emailing phil.nolan@eircom.ie instead , he is her boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If you would rather not ask Orla for help then try emailing phil.nolan@eircom.ie instead , he is her boss.

Yes email him, he is not my boss though. I work for Capita on behalf of Eircom. If I could do anything for you I would but I am only limited to my own system. I cannot force the system to show a "pass" line.

orla wrote:
    If I could do anything for you I would but I am only limited to my own system. I cannot force the system to show a "pass" line.

You and all the rest of the front line call centre people, he has to escalate to get anywhere.

all together now Orla :p

"Computer Sez No"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Ah thanks! I feel so loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Kinda side stepping the original topic but I'm wondering when Techno puts in his neighbours number in the BB line test on (presumably?) his pc connected on his phone line is it not in fact his line and his line only that the results are given. Like I know it says put in your landline number but is this somehow irrelevant and that it just does a check on the line that you are connected to. Could be the reason why the neighbours lines were showing a failed test?

Just me head whirring away anyhow. :confused:

• Advertisement

Simon201 wrote:
    Like I know it says put in your landline number but is this somehow irrelevant and that it just does a check on the line that you are connected to. Could be the reason why the neighbours lines were showing a failed test?

Just me head whirring away anyhow. :confused:

Hello,

Just to let you know. I connected to the Eircom web page from my office PC which is on a Broadband service and it still showed a fail!
    Techno

blaster 99 , we got crossed wires...eircom have their hands resolutely up there backsides
    i'll email phil nolan about that and hopefully you're right about Eircom shifting lines so that customers on carrier lines can get broadband....

which leads me to collecting a little ammo for phil...

Can eircom get away with leaving it as a carrier line?

We paid to get our line connected when the house was built and we are paying for a business line......

102091101 wrote:
    We paid to get our line connected when the house was built and we are paying for a business line......

Excuse me for butting in here lads...........but you shouldn't have to worry about what kind of line you have. It was Eircom who made the choice for you. You're entitled to have the same quality and facility as Joe Bloggs down the road! A phone line which is Broadband enabled. Don't miss the fact here that you're not paying any less line rental even though your line bad. If it was any other product we were talking about, we'd be on to the consumer affairs people!

Techno.

techno wrote:
    . You're entitled to have the same quality and facility as Joe Bloggs down the road! A phone line which is Broadband enabled.

No . All eircom have to provide is a voiceline and dialup access.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

techno wrote:
    Excuse me for butting in here lads...........but you shouldn't have to worry about what kind of line you have. It was Eircom who made the choice for you. You're entitled to have the same quality and facility as Joe Bloggs down the road! A phone line which is Broadband enabled. Don't miss the fact here that you're not paying any less line rental even though your line bad. If it was any other product we were talking about, we'd be on to the consumer affairs people!

Techno.

Bear in mind too that when most phone lines were installed broadband had never even been heard of.

Just connected to Broadband. Massive difference in speed here lads!

Techno.

techno wrote:
    Just connected to Broadband. Massive difference in speed here lads.

tell us how :D ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

As I said earlier on this thread, my parents situation was similar to Techno's.Neigbours can, we can't. I rang Eircom 2 weeks ago, only to be told that they were "under no obligation to provide Broadband". So I decide to try again today. I rang Broadband sales and started to explain the problem. Before I had fully explained she interrupted me and said, "I think I know what the problem may be, I will transfer you to the faults dept". A guy came on, I explained the prob and he immediately told me that I was on a carrier line and he gave me a name and number to call on monday, and said the line would be upgraded within 3 weeks. Is this a change in policy regarding carrier lines, or was I just lucky to get a couple of helpful CS staff ? Have to say, it was one of the quickest(less than 5 minutes), most stress free calls to Eircom I have ever made.

got the bband out of the blue . it just past one night. i was at home when the techguy came to mess with the cable box down the road and my suspicions were right - there was absolutely no reason i couldn't have got it a year ago!

i have a better than average throughput but i love this - i checked my line last night for sh1ts & giggles and the line failed. i suppose at least this experience has given me example of the adage - never confuse malice when stupidity will do the job just as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    But they do regulate "functional internet access" which is a legal entitlement on all eircom lines and you are entitled to 28.8k min. Eircom cannot tell you any more that you have a 'voice line' because it must also support "functional internet access"

If eircom bother fixing your line to carry 28.8k signals then it will probably pass for BB thereafter.

guess ill be onto eircom tomorrow my dileup connects between 7.6k and reaches 9.7k, the last time i rang about this they told me that once i could make and receive calls the line was ok.

• Advertisement

sign up on their onlinebill view thing (home page) and log a fault there first. give them a few days to fix it .

phil has now gone but the emails may still work, if not the new boss is rex combs, carefully note down all fault reference numbers lest they disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    sign up on their onlinebill view thing (home page) and log a fault there first. give them a few days to fix it .

phil has now gone but the emails may still work, if not the new boss is rex combs, carefully note down all fault reference numbers lest they disappear.

thanks sponge bob ill keep ya posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Moved house... went to get Eircom BB... they say no go line isn't up to scratch. I was like WTF? My neighbour has it for godsake.

The fix was I got a 2nd line installed... (a fresh new cable) and had it tested.

It was GOOD!!! wahoo so I just cut off the other line and had BB installed on the new one.

Took forever to get sorted but was worth it in the end.

Good luck.

;-)

Advertisement