Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat - CD Changer

Options
  • 20-03-2006 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

A friend gave me his CD changer from a Passat he had in the states. Apparently all I have to do is plug it in. Fine but where do I plug it in? The manual says remove the cover on the left hand side in the boot.....

Under this cover is my warning triangle and jack. On the other side is the fire extingusher. I searched both sides and no sign of any leads for a CD changer or indeed any brackets.

The car is a 2003 VW Passat estate. Any ideas?

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

its easy if you have leads already in the car. the best option is call into a vw garage and ask them as i think there are different place the lead can be installed. so they should be able to tell you if theres already a lead there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

The VW manuals often tell of provisions for these leads in the cars, but they are often model or even country specific. Every chance the leads don't exist on an Irish Passat. I've been checking these things on my Golf, same story with storage compartments by spare wheel and stuff like heated seats. Check in our manual, the CD changer item will be starred * meaning its optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is this the boot version or the one that is installed in the front of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

The CD changer is a boot version - I know it was in the boot of the Passat it came from in the States.

Am doing a thorough serach on the web for info but I think yo u are right that the leads are not automatically in the Irish Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are no leads pre-installed in a Passat (3B). Ditto for Golfs & Boras. You will need to go to your local VW dealer and order the lead. Be careful though as the radio units changed in 2003. If you go to your dealer with your chassis number it will help. I'd imagine that you have a double DIN (newer type) radio unit rather than a single DIN (older type) ie double the height of a standard radio.

I've just ordered one for a VW sat nav (03 Passat) unit and it cost €61.21 +VAT. - You'll need to order mounting brackets too - you could possibly make them yourself. Also be sure to adjust the angle setting (some units have 2 adjusters) on the changer unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

crosstownk wrote:
    I've just ordered one for a VW sat nav (03 Passat) unit and it cost €61.21 +VAT. - You'll need to order mounting brackets too - you could possibly make them yourself. Also be sure to adjust the angle setting (some units have 2 adjusters) on the changer unit.

Any links on where I could order this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Big Nelly wrote:
    Is this the boot version or the one that is installed in the front of the car?

Most of these are boot versions.. after 02 it was the only option with delta head units or satnav. Before that you could get the in dash changer to go with the beta/gamma head units. I have one in the golf, think it was a €500 option new. Don't think you can still buy these.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Any links on where I could order this?
    I ordered it from Belgard Motors. I'll email them for the part number and get back to you - it'll probably be tomorrow now as they are most likely closed now - yep just rang them. What type of radio do you have Double DIN or single DIN - This really matters as the connection at the back of the radio is different and obviously the cables are different.

You can usually get them on eBay.de and to some extent on eBay.co.uk - Thats where I got the SatNav unit for €500 when the VW dealer wanted €3250 and it works fine came with all the discs but I not the CD changer cable (SatNav CD drive only reads map CDs)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I must say I'm surprised the cable isn't pre-installed. My old (and any) Seat Ibiza from '97 had the cable in it. Ditto my '02 Leon. I would have thunk it would be standard practice for VW group companies.

I'm surprised that Seats have the cable. VWs do not and the previous generation of Audis didn't either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement