Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone else's website been hacked?

Options
  • 20-03-2006 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

hey just went into my website there tonite only to find it has been hacked by cybersonic, form i what i found outit is some turkish guy , was wondering what people do for website security and also if this sort of thing happens often ?

thanks

here is a screenshot

hacked5gp.th.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Were you running any PHP forums or content management systems? Were they patched up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭roastie

i use cPanel and it is up to date , password was also alphanumeric. i dont run any BB's. i had everything backed up it was ok. just really really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Did you have ANY sort of scripts running on the site or anything that allows user input? Any forms?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

if your password was a normal word or otherwise not particularily strong that might be the issue. I had a lot of my various accounts in places hacked a couple of weeks ago simply because I had been using a very old (and not great) password on them.

Got my college networking soc account and deleted everything, fecker. Fortunately lost nothing in the end thanks to disk mirroring on server. Took out all my sites too with redirects to their l33t h4x gr0up page, took a while to reset all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Why yes. Yes I have!

By the wonderful people of the "Red Devils Crew" :D

Logged on to my website one morning to find my site deleted and the following image in its place. It was an ipowerweb account and all passwords were very strong. Still dont know how they did it. :o

Backup. Backup. Backup.

hack1gk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Philbert wrote:

Backup. Backup. Backup.

Or have a decent host that backs up every Sunday - at least you may only need to fall back a few days. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

most hosts should back up daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I'm quite anti-violence, but hackers deserve the **** kicked out of them. If you know a hacker, give him a slap from me!

:)

Back OT.

I've had a site hacked. It was an old forum which I hadn't bothered to upgrade. It was just a DHTML injection, so no biggie...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Resurrecting this thread since my question is about more or less the same thing.

A school site I manage (no forms, nothing fancy, just standard html) had an index.asp file put onto the server at 11.45 today with a turkish hacker message. No other pages were affected, and no real damage was done.

My question is how did they get access to 'my' folder on the host's server and is it a security issue for the hoster or me? I do not use any asp normally. Password is alpha-numeric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Bleh, yeah had a clients one 'hacked' about a year ago... it was a plain jane html/css site aswell... it turned out several other sites we knew to be hosted with that provider were also defaced on the same night (with the same thing), so I guess the hosting provider wasn't keeping up with the latest in security.
    It's not always your fault :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

DOLEMAN wrote:
    I'm quite anti-violence, but hackers deserve the **** kicked out of them. If you know a hacker, give him a slap from me!

If it weren't for the hackers of the 70s, 80s and 90s, you wouldn't have an internet to host a web site on at all.

Advertisement