Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wonder how I got banned for posting about...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah, that's just Moriarty. He's obscenely abusive to everyone. No idea how can get away with posts like that really, but perhaps it's because he's abusive to everyone. There's symmetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Moriarty was banned for that comment...

I've been banned, lots of people have so
    Get over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I wonder how I got banned for posting about...
    Esat Bt's worse than useless service...from the broadband forum

Moriarty isn't a moderator on the UCD board, just another member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

ok so

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Moriarty wrote:
    Federerfan banned from broadband for a week for mindless disruptive behaviour.

<restores thread to original topic>

Ah, you have a week to think about it. I you really do need to check the forum, use http://cloud.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259 in another window.

It saves you having to log out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That was an incredibly aggressive post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You got banned for something, he got banned for something else. I don't see the connection. If he hadn't been banned, I would see your complaint, but he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Why not use the report post function to report that post(which was a quality flame, I might add). Theres no need to start a feedback thread about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moriarty, if that post came from a new user I'd siteban them, it was way ott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Isn't that the point Gordon, Smods shouldn't really be site banning people who aren't being offensive accross mutliple forums, or who haven't been push up the chain of command for a forum moderator. As I understand the position any way.

• Advertisement

I don't siteban people that aren't offensive across multiple forums. Or was that a double negative?

By new user - I mean a very new user, I'm not talking about a new user with 100 posts under their belt.

Well I think it comes down to having a balanced view of the user. With a very new user, all you have to go on is afew posts. With a long term user you've years of posts to fall back on. I've never seen moriarty loose his head with someone that didn't deserve it, but at the same time he can go OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

That post by Moriarty is almost two months old and had the op bothered to read the next post on that thread he would have seen that I banned him.

Federerfan was banned from Broadband for being disruptive and off-topic and other users of the forum complained.

I fail to see what an old post by Moriarty has to do with this tbh.

I spose I'm used to frequenting boards that are smaller than boards.ie.

In my experience mods are level headed and prone to impartiality.

Obviously not the case here.

What peed me off was my post was edited by the mod before the thread was closed.

My angst was directed towards BT, but the mod turned it around on me by editing the post.

Yet a post directly after calling me a gob****e was neither edited nor deleted.

Fear of libel was mentiond by another mod, that was deleted too.

Mixed messages...

fedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Gordon wrote:
    By new user - I mean a very new user, I'm not talking about a new user with 100 posts under their belt.
    Surely a new user would deserve more leeway than one who has been around for a few years, as he/she would not know the boundries of what is expected here. I feel anybody who talks/posts like that directly to another user should be treated with the contempt they deserve. All you are doing here Gordon is giving fodder to those who say that mods are treated differently, and your also settinga precedent

Irrespective of the date on the post, this is the second such type post I have seen from Moriarty of similar vein, in the last 2-3 weeks, and to think that this guy used to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

So basically you were annoyed that the mod edited your post (which by the way could have been libelous) so you decided to do a search on his past posts?
    This is obviously what you did because you clearly didn't read the entire thread. I posted directly after Moriarty and banned him for that comment.
    federerfan wrote:

What peed me off was my post was edited by the mod before the thread was closed.

On the UCD forum Moriarty is not a mod. He is a regular user like yourself. And as such he is treated like a regular user. Moriarty's mod status did not affect my decision to ban him.

Your post was edited as it could have been viewed as libel. This could have resulted in a lot of trouble for boards.ie. Moriarty was right to edit your post.

Look back on your behaviour in the thread you were banned for. You were totally disruptive and brought the thread off-topic. The mod was level headed in his banning of you.
    Hobart wrote:
    Irrespective of the date on the post, this is the second such type post I have seen from Moriarty of similar vein, in the last 2-3 weeks, and to think that this guy used to be funny.

The date of the post is relevant. This is the second post you have seen in the past few weeks because a disgruntled user who was rightfully banned decided to trawl through his posts to find something to moan about. I won't go into the other one as that has been discussed and Moriarty apologised.

Its not as if Moriarty is constantly abusive. If that were the case then federerfan wouldn't have had to go back that far to find something to link to.

The real issue here is not posts by Moriarty in other forums. Its a p1ssed off user who feels hard done by because he was banned.

The date of the post is relevant. This is the second post you have seen in the past few weeks because a disgruntled user who was rightfully banned decided to trawl through his posts to find something to moan about. I won't go into the other one as that has been discussed and Moriarty apologised.

Its not as if Moriarty is constantly abusive. If that were the case then federerfan wouldn't have had to go back that far to find something to link to.

The real issue here is not posts by Moriarty in other forums. Its a p1ssed off user who feels hard done by because he was banned.
    Let me clarify. The date of the post is irrelevant TO ME. As for it's relevance to you, I don't really care. Would Moriarty talk to somebody face to face like this? I doubt it.

Why should he think that he would get away with it here? The fact that he said it 2 months ago, and has subsequently said something similar is the only thing that's irrelevant here. Why defend him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Hobart wrote:
    Let me clarify. The date of the post is irrelevant TO ME. As for it's relevance to you, I don't really care. Would Moriarty talk to somebody face to face like this? I doubt it.

Why should he think that he would get away with it here? The fact that he said it 2 months ago, and has subsequently said something similar is the only thing that's irrelevant here. Why defend him?
    Hobart, are you saying that if we were to look at your past posting we wouldn't see any aggresive, snide or flamey posts at all? I'm willing to bet we would.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What, a crow calling a raven black. I never!

Shabadu wrote:
    Hobart, are you saying that if we were to look at your past posting we wouldn't see any aggresive, snide or flamey posts at all? I'm willing to bet we would.
    Of the ilk linked too? I doubt it, but search away.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    Surely a new user would deserve more leeway than one who has been around for a few years, as he/she would not know the boundries of what is expected here. I feel anybody who talks/posts like that directly to another user should be treated with the contempt they deserve. All you are doing here Gordon is giving fodder to those who say that mods are treated differently, and your also settinga precedent

When a new user makes a post like that, it represents a greater proportion of their posts, and is a sign of things to come. When an regular makes a post like that, it represents a smaller proportion of their posts. The mods never claimed that previous behaviour (history) wasn't taken into acount, of course it is.

Your post was edited as it could have been viewed as libel. This could have resulted in a lot of trouble for boards.ie. Moriarty was right to edit your post.

Fair enough, as I said before, edit the post for that reason...

But edit it to a personal insult???

At least I have BT to blame for my angst :)

Fedfan

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think perhaps Moriarty's sig needs to be updated, his patience for humanity is clearly no longer dwindling, it's just run out :/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think moriarty is just like me, except with worse language.
    and not as handsome.
    and taller.
    and has a different personality.
    and longer hair.

hes nothing like me, and i resent anyone who has made such an insinuation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

federerfan wrote:

Obviously. How was I not level headed or impartial in the decision to ban you, though? I was happy enough to let you off and just lock your thread at first since you were apparently fairly new to boards and I try to give newbies on the broadband forum more of a break to get used to the rules and ettiquete. I banned you when you polluted more threads complaining about me, after being warned by Asok to stop.
    federerfan wrote:

My angst was directed towards BT, but the mod turned it around on me by editing the post.

It was a not-so-subtle warning to change your attitude, while also removing any potentially harmful posts. I imagine most people have a thick enough skin not to be offended by someone calling them a plonker over the internet.
    federerfan wrote:
    Yet a post directly after calling me a gob****e was neither edited nor deleted.

I edited one post. Your last one. That was it. You'll note I also left your previous posts in that thread intact.
    federerfan wrote:
    Fear of libel was mentiond by another mod, that was deleted too.

Mixed messages...

Those posts were deleted after you'd seen them (since you'd responded to them) so that the thread could be cleaned up and brought back on topic. No one wants to read about off-topic moaning of any sort when they click on a thread in broadband.
    Hobart wrote:
    Would Moriarty talk to somebody face to face like this? I doubt it.

I don't hide behind a keyboard. I'd be happy to say in real life anything I say online, and vica-versa.
    Hobart wrote:
    Why should he think that he would get away with it here? The fact that he said it 2 months ago, and has subsequently said something similar is the only thing that's irrelevant here.

Get away with what exactly? I haven't gotten away with anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Just in case I didn't make my case too well:

<3 Moriarty.

Moriarty wrote:
    I don't hide behind a keyboard. I'd be happy to say in real life anything I say online, and vica-versa.

Good stuff, send me a PM to that effect, and I'll send you my phone number.

I visit Dublin on business a fair bit, then we can discuss this plonker reference..

OK ?

Fedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

hahahaha

Hi Drapper²!

Hobart wrote:
    Surely a new user would deserve more leeway than one who has been around for a few years, as he/she would not know the boundries of what is expected here.
    I do also give leeway to new users depending on the circumstances. It really depends on the situation. Tbh I don't think I'm setting any precedents, but I don't mind setting precedents. It doesn't mean that they'll stick though.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:

Well?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement