Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vinyl vs CDs vs DVD (split from Neil Young thread)

• 18-03-2006 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

do vinyl's actually exceed the quality of a cd(if so how about DVDA?)? or is it just for mixing purposes that you'd want one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Vinyl has a greater audio range than CD. CDs only utilise the frequencies that are detectable by the human ear. Vinyl goes beyond those frequencies to ones that you can't necessarily hear but you can feel. That's why people DJ with them because the amplification is powerful enough to push the really low bass and allow you to feel it. Of course, it's only true when you've mastered the music properly. Some vinyl releases are simply the music mastered for a CD transferred to vinyl.

As for vinyl versus other disc formats, I think DVD-audio and SACDs have a similar range but don't quote me on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

hrmm interesting, though then there is nothing stopping one producing special cd players for artists that use the wider range, fit less per cd but i doubt they'd care... getting pc's to burn it would be trivial me thinks....

And your probally right , DVDA being 5.1 normally would leave a channel for the the subwoofer(s) giving greater freedom to control the 'feel'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

do vinyl's actually exceed the quality of a cd(if so how about DVDA?)? or is it just for mixing purposes that you'd want one?

Artwork
    Sleeve
    Superior sound quality (not in every case)

I can happily exist with both vinyl and CD - each have their own merits.

It's cassettes that are the real enemy. Not CDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Artwork
    Sleeve
    Superior sound quality (not in every case)

I can happily exist with both vinyl and CD - each have their own merits.

It's cassettes that are the real enemy. Not CDs.

Yeah tapes are evil
    as my vinal copy of Killing Joke's debut album has on the sleve tape piracy is destroying the music industry.

Yeah tapes are evil
    as my vinal copy of Killing Joke's debut album has on the sleve tape piracy is destroying the music industry.

One of these?:

taping_killing.gif

I prefer to buy vinyl for audio and art reasons (plus the ritualistic aspect of playing it) but tend to opt for CDs for convenience purposes.

Hmmm, this is really turning into a new thread. Split time methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

where is the best place to pick up records these days...

Aside from mail order I normally go to Road Records on Fade St. Spin Dizzy in George's St. Arcade is good too. There's a record fair that appears from time to time in Dublin that's frickin' huge. It's not cheap but you can find some nice bits and bobs (I've got some lovely Swans and Throbbing Gristle vinyl thanks to it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

ive got lots of vinal durt cheep on ebay great place for second hand vinal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ok and where is a good place to trade in records?

Most places are picky about what they'll take. Ebay might be your best bet but don't expect to make much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Vinal imo is more of an event, there is more atmosphere involved. i think CD is far more convienant and the sound is clearer. ive not used the dvd ones so i can't comment. tapes are the bane of music, although i wouldn't part with mine funny enough

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

blu_sonic wrote:
    the sound is clearer

Vinyl sounds clearer than CD when you first buy it and for the first couple of plays, but then as you play it more and more the stylus erodes the grooves and makes it eventually sound worse than CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

it depends on your record player, and how good your sound system, but the cds hold their quality for longer and are slightly more robust

It also depends on how well grounded your record player is too. A lot of hum can be due to dodgy wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Vinyl is for people I find that are collectors or purists. They are so much hassle and require extra care. I used to DJ and have 10 crates of vinyls, I hav emoved 3 times in the past years and the pain of moving them, sorting them, building a new book case etc etc ....you have got to love them to do it!
    At parties people thumb through,leave them out of sleeves f*ck up my order....grrrrr!
    God I love them though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

poor vinyl!! a great format with a great warm and homely sound to it! imagine my joy as a kid picking up pearl jams vitology on vinyl,just think of the big book! does anyone else feel any addicition to the smell of vinyl?

Advertisement