Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handball in Fulham - Chelsea game

• 20-03-2006 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

I think everyone agrees it was a hand-ball and the goal disallowed, the worrying thing for me is that there is no way the officials could have seen it, so why disallow the goal(rightly so). I think the referee could tell from the Fulham players reactions that something had happened and he made the call based on this, but should he be allowed do this.

Has the referee commented yet on why he disallowed the goal?

I wonder will the FA take action against the Fulham players for pressuring the ref.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yep, he says the buzzer went off because the Linesman saw it...

And, in fairness, he does glance at the Linesman before any Fulham players reacted.

Mountains out of molehills to be honest - I prefer a right decision to be reached by the wrong means than a wrong decision to be reached by the right means. So many things of this nature go unnoticed, and they're damn injustices (e.g. that time the ball crossed the line against United - you know the one) - yet relatively clean-cut things like this create conflict? Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

NoelRock wrote:
    Yep, he says the buzzer went off because the Linesman saw it...

And, in fairness, he does glance at the Linesman before any Fulham players reacted.

Mountains out of molehills to be honest - I prefer a right decision to be reached by the wrong means than a wrong decision to be reached by the right means. So many things of this nature go unnoticed, and they're damn injustices (e.g. that time the ball crossed the line against United - you know the one) - yet relatively clean-cut things like this create conflict? Ridiculous.
    But there is no way the linesman could have seen it. I am delighted that justice prevailed just concerned as to the way it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

TheMonster wrote:
    But there is no way the linesman could have seen it. I am delighted that justice prevailed just concerned as to the way it happened.
    You simply cannot state that, well you can, but not with 100% conviction. You where not on the line at the same position the linesman was at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

How can people say the Linesman didn't see it, were they standing beside or see a camera angle from directly behind him?? Because the only camera angle I saw from his side was far from behind him?

Unless he can see through players. Looking at both players and where the ball was is there anyway he could have seen it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

haha, does everyone love Andy Gray? he is a dope. What the coverage again and from where the linesman was standing there is a gap in the 2 players and you can see Drogba handling hte ball, also the direction of the ball changes when Drogba handly's it so the linesman would see that.

Oh yeah how many thread are needed for one game???????? you want a new thread to discuss every element of yesterday game?

If the linesman saw it why didn't he flag. I reckon the referee knew by the reactions of the fulhma players that something had happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In all fairness, he could have seen the flight of the ball, and esen it altered.

Can't we just give him the benefit of the doubt? We'd be screaming if he had missed it. Either way he is going to lose. THe real issue is the ref not being positioned correctly.

Also, the linesman instantly buz, meaning he spotted something and wanted to tell the ref about it.

TheMonster wrote:
    If the linesman saw it why didn't he flag. I reckon the referee knew by the reactions of the fulhma players that something had happened.

If the linesman buzz's it for a reason, not because he thinks in a few secs that the goalkeeper will lose the head, run out of goals and that Chelsea will score, quit grasping at staws

Fair enough if he saw it. From what I have seen I can't see how. Thankfully justice was done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

PHB wrote:
    Also, the linesman instantly buz, meaning he spotted something and wanted to tell the ref about it.

So by this logic, if a linesman sees an infringement he first 'buzzes' the ref for a chat? What happened to raising your flag once something like handball, foul etc happens?

Most would be screaming if the goal had stood 'cos the ref & linesman missed it but I would be far more worried about officials second guessing something that they didn't see based upon the reaction of the players.

Unlike a previous poster, I have a big problem in a correct decision been made by the wrong means as this is a path that i don't think we want to go down.

SCULLY wrote:
    Unlike a previous poster, I have a big problem in a correct decision been made by the wrong means as this is a path that i don't think we want to go down.
    So do I and its the main reason for the thread. If he saw it fair play to him but if he didn't its worrying. Would love to see a referees mike as in Rugby(even on a trial bassis)

SCULLY wrote:
    So by this logic, if a linesman sees an infringement he first 'buzzes' the ref for a chat? What happened to raising your flag once something like handball, foul etc happens?

Most would be screaming if the goal had stood 'cos the ref & linesman missed it but I would be far more worried about officials second guessing something that they didn't see based upon the reaction of the players.

Ok, why don't you check some comments that have been made since the game before your rant?

If you did you would have read that the linesman didnt put his flag up because he thought the ref had a better view so he just buzzed to let the ref know he seen the same. It was only after the goal went in,which was a few secs later he realised that the ref could not see, at this stage he seen the ref, who from the very first moment indicated to the players that he wanted to talk to the linesman, was coming towards him so didnt need to raise his flag.

Watch the highlights, the first thign the ref does before any of the players came over to him was to indicate that he wanted to talk to the linesman. Dont see what the problem is? right decision, linesman done well, ref done the proper thing to listen to his linesman before giving the dicision. Andy Gray is WRONG, shock horry terror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shame that linesman wasnt at the liverpool chelsea game in the CL last year.
    he would have seen it didnt cross the line :)

shame that linesman wasnt at the liverpool chelsea game in the CL last year.
    he would have seen it didnt cross the line :)

Or at the Spurs v Man Utd game last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Mike Dean said something long the lines of .. the linesman couldn't flag it from 40 yards away with confidence.... so presumably it was the vehemence of the Fulham players that gave Dean the confidence to disallow it.

Just as well it was the correct result. Shame Drogba didn't do the sporting thing and admit it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Big Nelly wrote:
    Is this the same linesman who didn't see the goal that was that Roy Carroll supposedly saved????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Big Nelly wrote:
    that was a great saved by roy caroll. ha. justice won in the end and the title race is back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

growler wrote:
    Shame Drogba didn't do the sporting thing and admit it though.

You must surely be having a laugh!! A player with one of the most dishonest reputations in football, who tries to make up for his inadequecies by spinning sh1te to the media and acting the fool, coming clean in a sporting gesture!!??

He deliberately used his and to control the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

chiller wrote:
    that was a great saved by roy caroll. ha. justice won in the end and the title race is back on
    I'm delighted to see the manu supporters get themselves so so worked up. This is the second comment I have seen along these lines, another well known Manu poster to this forum is under the delusion that the title is in Manu's hands at this stage, roll on the dissapointment I say, it only makes Chelski's title taste even better.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok, why don't you check some comments that have been made since the game before your rant?

If you did you would have read that the linesman didnt put his flag up because he thought the ref had a better view so he just buzzed to let the ref know he seen the same. It was only after the goal went in,which was a few secs later he realised that the ref could not see, at this stage he seen the ref, who from the very first moment indicated to the players that he wanted to talk to the linesman, was coming towards him so didnt need to raise his flag.

Watch the highlights, the first thign the ref does before any of the players came over to him was to indicate that he wanted to talk to the linesman. Dont see what the problem is? right decision, linesman done well, ref done the proper thing to listen to his linesman before giving the dicision. Andy Gray is WRONG, shock horry terror

Wasn't aware that my post constituted a rant (it would be another matter if I had come on moaning about commentators and the amount of threads for one game).

Contrary to what you assume (which seems to be a lot) I have read the comments that have appeared in the papers. I just don't think that what is been said adds up.

I watched the game live, with its many replays so don't need to watch the highlights and have based my previous post on them.

The decision was indeed correct but I think that the linesman did not do well, as he should have flagged straight away if he was sure he saw an infringement. Had he done so, the ref would still have consulted him if there was a doubt in his (the refs) mind, and if not, he would have awarded a free kick out straight away. The anger from the Chelsea camp, from what I can see, is that it appeared that the pressure from the Fulham players forced the referee into consulting the linesman , who had not flagged.

Have no idea what your problem with Andy Grey, but find it amusing that you keep mentioning him when nobody else does - sounds dangerously like a rant to me.....

TheMonster wrote:
    So do I and its the main reason for the thread. If he saw it fair play to him but if he didn't its worrying. Would love to see a referees mike as in Rugby(even on a trial bassis)

I agree - an official with replay facilities with a direct link to the ref, who is miked, (as in rugby) would prevent a lot of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

The ref got lucky in fairness, he would've been crucified had it been legitimate. But chelsea would also have been just as lucky if they were given the goal so there is no point moaning about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If it had've happened in any other game yesterday, nobody would give it a second thought. Because Mourinho decides this is all a conspiracy against him and whines on live TV about how he didn't deserve to lose, despite his team not really doing anything of note during the game, everybody gives him what he wants and makes a big controversy about it.

Stupid Sky Sports trying to stir it up to make it look like the PL is some sort of bloody soap opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

It's like that he thinks that drogba should've got away with it because he disguised it from view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

its great that it was right. How many goals have been disalowed for offsides that weren't or balls over the line not given etc, its just a change that the correct action was taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

referees aren't stupid, they look at players reactions.

an idiot could tell it was handball from the players reactions. just like maradona's hand of god in '86, it was so obvious, even if you didnt see it.

a bit of cop on is all that is required to give that decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    referees aren't stupid, they look at players reactions.

an idiot could tell it was handball from the players reactions. just like maradona's hand of god in '86, it was so obvious, even if you didnt see it.

a bit of cop on is all that is required to give that decision.

So basically, everytime a goal is scored get your team to give the ref a load of abuse for handball/some foul and theres a chance it will be turned over.

thats the message the ref at the fulham game sent out anyway.

Advertisement