Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why, oh why?

• 20-03-2006 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Why do some people insist on following a trend, despite the fact that it may not suit their figure?

Head bands, belts, spring colours, they are all in this season, and are all very pretty, but only when they actually suit the model.

Take stripes for example, they are all in, but I have big boobs and a bit of meat on my bones and I wouldn't go near them no matter how 'in' they are as I would look like a big fatty!
    Pic removed due to derailing of thread topic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

christ almighty....what was she thinking.
    yeah i know what you mean, i love stripy tops, esp the long ones but i would never get away with it, so i dont bother.

i also hate girls, who insist on wearing tops that are too short, and alll u get is a roll of fat spilling out of their jeans in full view! i mean come on! do they actually look in the mirror before they leave the house and say "damn i'm hot!"....
    i dunno, people amaze me, they really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

I agree, just cos it's in fashion doesn't mean it suits you! I got flamed before when I said that I thought that people who were overweight shouldn't wear long shorts.

I understand that you should be entitled to wear what you want but what I hate is sitting in a pub and someone walks in and everyone sits sniggering at the person.

If you put a something on and you've got an overhang, take it off, get the next size, just don't wear it!

I'm no size 8 before anyone thinks I'm a skinny minny slagging off everyone else.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Why do some people insist on following a trend, despite the fact that it may not suit their figure?

Head bands, belts, spring colours, they are all in this season, and are all very pretty, but only when they actually suit the model.

Take stripes for example, they are all in, but I have big boobs and a bit of meat on my bones and I wouldn't go near them no matter how 'in' they are as I would look like a big fatty!

I took this pic on my camera phone in Portarlington, and only one thing springs to mind when I see it........ WHY?

You are mad taking pics of strangers and posting them up here:eek: ! But yes have to agree with you 100% and like someone said before of course you have the right to wear whatever you want but at least look in the mirror before you leave the house. Whoever that girl is she's pretty but that outfit is just doing nothing for her and just emphasising her bad parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

skinny mirrors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

That's not following a trend despite it not suiting you, that's following a trend in clothes that are 2 sizes too small.
    If the clothes had fit, it wouldn't have looked that bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Perhaps if she had known she was going to her photo was going to be taken by a stranger and posted on a forum she would have aimed to dress more aesthectically pleasing for people she's never met...

silly sausage does like taking pics....
    i wonder if the woman would've decked SS if she saw her taking her pic..

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Oh. Good. Lord. That's all I have to say about the pic.
    I agree with kittenkiller, if some people actually accepted that they're not a size 8 and wore clothes that fit, the world would be a much prettier place.

Femmy wrote:
    silly sausage does like taking pics....
    i wonder if the woman would've decked SS if she saw her taking her pic..
    God Help me if she did, she would definitely have taken me, I wouldn't have stood a chance.

I thought it was worthy of a sly pic because it was a perfect example of how following trends is not always a good thing, and how dressing to suit your size, colouring and shape is a much better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's simple mathematics really, 16 into 10 doesn't go.

To the OP, the very least you could've done is blanked out that person's face before you posted her picture on a public forum to rip the p1ss out of her. And girls wonder why they often get reputations for being b1tches? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

God Help me if she did, she would definitely have taken me, I wouldn't have stood a chance.

I thought it was worthy of a sly pic because it was a perfect example of how following trends is not always a good thing, and how dressing to suit your size, colouring and shape is a much better idea.

Indeed it is. Just love the belt. :)

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. ;)

BaZmO* wrote:
    And girls wonder why they often get reputations for being b1tches? :rolleyes:
    This girl does not wonder as to the creation of a certain reputation.

Faces blanked out now.

Heinrich wrote:
    Indeed it is. Just love the belt. :)

No stones have been thrown, there is a bit of a difference between me joking about on holidays and the girl in the Original picture.
    I mean at least that dress actually fits me!
    Besides, that dress is not something I would ever wear in Ireland, it was just perfect fun holiday clothing.

No stones have been thrown, there is a bit of a difference between me joking about on holidays and the girl in the Original picture.
    I mean at least that dress actually fits me!
    Besides, that dress is not something I would ever wear in Ireland, it was just perfect fun holiday clothing.
    Maybe the other lady was going on holidays as well. The generous belt fits but the rest is sort of well....

Must avoid going on holidays, could hurt the eyes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heinrich wrote:
    Lol. Touché.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

yup totally agree. theres some trends out there that I love but I just know I cant wear either. Im thin but short so things like jeans tucked into boots look daft on me as do shirt dresses - they are gorgus but because ive a small chest they just hang off the top of me and cling to the bottom. Femmy the phenomenon you describe is whats commonly called 'muffin top' its where people wear clothes 2 sizes too small and the overspill results at the waist. again, im not goign off on people this thing is not related to heavier girls at all - ive seen girls who are probably a size 10 and squeeze into a size 6 - why??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Whoever that girl is she's pretty but that outfit is just doing nothing for her and just emphasising her bad parts.
    ...pretty?!? She's pretty something alright....

I'll bite me tounge.

oh yeah i'm not having a go at people who are over weight, i'm not thin by any means, but i do wear clothes that fit.

Femmy wrote:
    oh yeah i'm not having a go at people who are over weight, i'm not thin by any means, but i do wear clothes that fit.

Fitting and badly fitting, where do you draw the line?

Besides, who really cares, apart from the mobile phone photographers who need to boost their own morale? :(

• Advertisement

Heinrich wrote:
    apart from the mobile phone photographers who need to boost their own morale? :(

Boosting my own morale was not the point of the thread, in my original post I mentioned the fact that I am well aware of my own flaws, and so rather then highlight them by wearing ill fitting clothing, or by wearing stripes etc, I chose to bring attention to a part of my body I am more comfortable with, or alternatively, I prefer to wear something neutral that will not bring attention, good or bad, to any part of my body.

The girl in the picture could have looked a million times better had she not worn the belt, AND INSTEAD worn something that fit her a bit better.

I don't think she's ugly, and I never suggested she was over weight, I just think that following trends doesn't necessarily make you look good.

It can often be a good idea to skip a trend entirely if the colours and style doesn't suit you.

Why does it bother you what the lady, or anyone else for that matter, is wearing?
    Why did you feel a need to take and post the photograph?

As mentioned above, eho cares apart from yourself?

Your exercise is unnecessary and not in the best of taste.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 old_lady

Heinrich wrote:

As mentioned above, eho cares apart from yourself?

Your exercise is unnecessary and not in the best of taste.;)
    Well over 20 replys would make you think that somebody must care.

You have replied about 4 or 5 times yourself, so perhaps you care.

As for it being in bad taste, the faces are blanked out and the point she makes is strong and true, some people should skip trends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

You're in the fashion/appearance forum.
    Isn't discussing things like trends part of why it's here?
    Heinrich, give the girl a break!
    She didn't go on about how the girl in the picture was ugly or over-weight or how much better SS is than the girl, just that her choice of outfit did not suit her body type.
    Give it a rest.

old_lady wrote:
    Well over 20 replys would make you think that somebody must care.

You have replied about 4 or 5 times yourself, so perhaps you care.

As for it being in bad taste, the faces are blanked out and the point she makes is strong and true, some people should skip trends.

The face was not blanked out in the original post!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Jeez, would you ever cop yourself on!?

Discussing strangers fashion faux-pas on the net is one thing but taking pix of of them (blacked out or not) and posting them up on the net for discussion is another.

I hope someone robs your phone before you get to snap anymore of your crap. Judging by what little it takes for you to whip it out in public that eventuality seems highly probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Oh come on, stop nit-picking. If you think this "exercise is unnecessary", then leave it alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Firstly risky lady taking the pic and publishing it on here, i know i would be moritfied if i was looking at boards, and saw a picture of myself and getting critisized for what i wore.

Anyway back to the subject on hand, Yes i agree that the outfit that the girl is wearing in my opinion does not suit her physic, even if she raised the length of the tshirt and removed the belt it would look a lot better, as she appears to be quite tall and raising the length of the tshirt will take the enfises away from her tum. It appears to be a clear case that she is wearing the outfit because its what is regarded as fashionable at the moment. There s an issue particularly in Dublin that half the girls in the capital are all walking around in the same outfit because it is what is regarded as fashionable at the time, people ignore the fact that it may or may not suit them.

Yes i do feel that people need to sit back and think, yes this is what is regarded as high street fashion, but will this suit me, will it suit the features i have...answer based on most fashion over the past year, will be no. Most of the looks like in the picture, will only really suit a particular physic.

Although i have said that people need to be aware of whether the look will suit them, i do have a lot of respect for someone that will go out and wear something that they feel good in and feel sexy, comftorble or whatever. It is down to the individual in hand. However it is important to really think before hand will this particular look suit them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 old_lady

Pigman II wrote:
    Jeez, would you ever cop yourself on!?

Discussing strangers fashion faux-pas on the net is one thing but taking pix of of them (blacked out or not) and posting them up on the net for discussion is another.

The picture gives us a visual as to what the girl is talking about when she speaks of people following trends. Without the picture we would not have a clear insight as to what she is talking about.
    Pigman II wrote:
    I hope someone robs your phone before you get to snap anymore of your crap. Judging by what little it takes for you to whip it out in public that eventuality seems highly probable.

Grow up!

• Advertisement

old_lady wrote:
    The picture gives us a visual as to what the girl is talking about when she speaks of people following trends. Without the picture we would not have a clear insight as to what she is talking about.

Would you not? Riiiggght. And I presume the cam-photo from her 'knickers on the public toilet floor' thread from the other day was also posted merely because none of us could have a clear insight into what she was talking about there either?

Grow up!

Good one! I really must write that down for future use :rolleyes:

Pigman II wrote:
    Would you not? Riiiggght. And I presume the cam-photo from her 'knickers on the public toilet floor' thread from the other day was also posted merely because none of us could have a clear insight into what she was talking about there either?
    Who could possibly have been offended by the picture of the pants on the floor?

People often ask for examples in the fashion and appearance's thread, so I gave them one.

I did not insult the girl in the picture at any point, I merely think she could have looked even better in a different outfit.

I am pretty sure that if the mods found the pic offensive that it would be removed ASAP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

BAh why are stripes in?
    For ten years now I've had them pretty much to myself. :)
    God damn I love fingerless stripy gloves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

THIS is in now? Don't really think so!
    I'd contribute it to a very bad personal fashion style. She prob thinks she looks fab.

Let her!!!! Without these kind of people, we'd all be less entertained in our daily lifes and quickly be incredibly bored.
    :D

Great pic!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Femmy wrote:

i also hate girls, who insist on wearing tops that are too short, and alll u get is a roll of fat spilling out of their jeans in full view! i mean come on! do they actually look in the mirror before they leave the house and say "damn i'm hot!"....

You mean like this????
    http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cMMeREi_r1ma1wZBj9t7_STKWgPNiHzUIp1xT1WakUrWSeD1WDFXMHYTGSE83lF_t6dEXAKQQQz4n-AxlH0y1a53N5uBpGs/navel.jpg

Who could possibly have been offended by the picture of the pants on the floor?

People often ask for examples in the fashion and appearance's thread, so I gave them one.

I did not insult the girl in the picture at any point, I merely think she could have looked even better in a different outfit.

I am pretty sure that if the mods found the pic offensive that it would be removed ASAP.

As much as your toilet pix didn't thrill me I had no problems with insofar as it was just inanimiate object. For comparison in that case if you'd waited around and taken a snap of the girl coming out of the toilet and blacked her out for our discussion then I would have had similar issue with that as I do with this thread.

I believe that when it comes to taking and distributing unsolicited pix of people themselves then you've entered a whole other ballgame, but hey that's just me.

If you tell me (hand on heart) that that person you took the pix of granted your permission to take the pix and then distribute it over the net then I'll have absolutely no moral qualms with you. But I think just from looking at it we all know that is not the case, right?

Out of interest is this what you do? Just go round taking unsolicitied snaps of strangers whose actions you find questionable?

• Advertisement

meowCat wrote:
    Let her!!!! Without these kind of people, we'd all be less entertained in our daily lifes and quickly be incredibly bored.
    :D

Great pic!
    ;)

And you wonder why people feel self conchese with stupid comments like this one :rolleyes:

These camera phones are a monstrosity! They are an invasion of privacy. There is no need to photograph perfect strangers to illustrate irrelevant issues. The unkempt lady in that photo was minding her own business and if she lacked dress sense that is her affair.

What is the real reason for the OP's illustrated commentary? Who gives a highlander's what others wear apart from perhaps inflating one's own ego or demonstrating an acute artistic prowess?

Pigman II wrote:

Out of interest is this what you do? Just go round taking unsolicitied snaps of strangers who's actions you find questionable?

You ask this question based on two pictures that I have posted in Boards?

For every 10 times I go out I may use my camera phone once, for every 1000 times I have used my camera phone I may have taken a picture of someone without their consent.

The picture of the pants on the floor was taken in jest, and the thread was posted in jest, and was recieved in jest.

As for the picture in this thread, if it is really bothering people I will take it down.
    When I saw the girl I though of how silly it was of her to follow this particular trend when she could have looked really nice had she dressed in something more suitable to her frame and colouring.

I took the picture with this thread in mind, I actually thought a debate would follow suit discussing the pros and cons of following trends, with a few tips on when it is not a good idea to follow trends, and when it is a MUST.

This is the fashion/appearances forum.
    We are supposed to discuss fashion trends here.

I didn't post the picture with the intention of offending anyone, or with the intention of the original topic being lost in favour for a discussion on the use of my camera phone.

Heinrich wrote:
    apart from perhaps inflating one's own ego or demonstrating an acute artistic prowess?
    I have addressed this issue in a previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Heyes wrote:
    And you wonder why people feel self conchese with stupid comments like this one :rolleyes:
    For christ sake, my spelling is brutal, but honestly - "conchese!"

You can do better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

That poor poor lady, what was she thinking.

Heinrich wrote:
    Who gives a highlander's what others wear apart from perhaps inflating one's own ego or demonstrating an acute artistic prowess?

I think that is a very good point

Heyes wrote:
    I think that is a very good point
    A very good point which was addressed several posts ago

Zulu wrote:
    For christ sake, my spelling is brutal, but honestly - "conchese!"

You can do better than that.

Thank you for pointing that out, i know my spelling is crap, however i still got my point across, so im not really v bothered :rolleyes: :p

A very good point which was addressed several posts ago

I hadnt read every single post above, however its a good point, so there is no harm in repeating it !

cotwold wrote:
    That poor poor lady, what was she thinking.

She probable felt good, which is far more important than what the rest of us think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Naming the image "Bumble bee lady" was a tad nasty, I think. And the tone of the thread title "Why, oh, why" implied that the woman was doing something entirely unthinkable and therefore was mentally challenged.
    In fairness, sillysausage, this type of cruel stone-throwing at other woman is the last thing we need. Don't we have enough "women should fit to this, that or the other physical/decorative standard." threads?
    Like this,this, or this

Morrigan wrote:
    Naming the image "Bumble bee lady" was a tad nasty, I think. And the tone of the thread title "Why, oh, why" implied that the woman was doing something entirely unthinkable and therefore was mentally challenged.
    In fairness, sillysausage, this type of cruel stone-throwing at other woman is the last thing we need. Don't we have enough "women should fit to this, that or the other physical/decorative standard." threads?
    Like this,this, or this

Well the bumble bee lady was more in reference to the yellow and black combination, but I take your point.

The thread was not supposed to be 'nasty', but I can see where your coming from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Caw Caw Caw!

You ask this question based on two pictures that I have posted in Boards?
    How many more would you suggest are needed before the question is warranted?
    For every 10 times I go out I may use my camera phone once, for every 1000 times I have used my camera phone I may have taken a picture of someone without their consent.
    Two in a week is quite remarkable then wouldn't you say (esp since since you only do it 1 in a 1000 times - which is still to many imho)?
    As for the picture in this thread, if it is really bothering people I will take it down.
    Prove it then. Take it down. It clearly is bothering people and furthermore effectively derailing your thread into the bargain.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement