Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Light tapping on the cars underside

Options
  • 20-03-2006 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

I've noticed sometimes that there is a slight tapping noise coming from the underside of my car (00 Hyundai Accent). It sounds like it's coming from the back of the car.

I got out and had a look underneath, but to be honest I didn't know what I was even looking for. I haven't noticed anything that brings it on, i.e. sometimes it's a short journey, sometimes long.

The tapping doesn't occur at a constant rate either. I was hoping for some advice before I go running to a mechanic with credit card in hand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Loose exhaste rubber...between the back box and the tail pipe end would be my guess. They have a habit of working loose causing random tapping. I could happen going round corner or over a pothole etc.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Before you check the difficult stuff make sure the spare wheel and toolkit are secure. I've cured rattles in cars by lifting the boot floor carpet and removing golf balls and other such items!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Could be anything. all of the above, plus, loose shock absorbers, fuel pipes, brake pipes, exhaust pipes & hangers and heat shields, loose fuel tank....you name and it's possible. loose wheel nuts, lose balance weights rolling about inside the hub caps.

Try determining if there is a tie or event when it always happend, that might narrow it down.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Definitely a Gremlin,
    you want to watch out for them little feckers!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Thanks for the replies. Hasn't happened since Sunday now, but if I manage to figure it out/bite the bullet and have it checked out, I'll post back

• Advertisement
Advertisement