Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Democracy countdown thread - POST ALL NEW GnR ALBUM COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

For purely comedic reasons I hope this album bombs; I hope it's an appauling piece of crap that no one ever likes... 10 years for nothing!

Seriously though, I'd say you're right about the leaking worries, Axl has seen just how anxious fans are, and how willing they are to grab onto anything that might be genuine, I'd say the song already leaked were a surprise and made them tighten up.
    I doubt it's the start of april, though. I'd be surprised anyway, they need to give plenty of notice and get the marketing ready, the label will be sure to do everything they can to make sure this whole affair has been worthwhile... 2 weeks notice isn't a lot in music release terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

NME are to preview the NEW GnR album in this weeks issue, see here

http://www.nme.com/magazine

Strange magazine to be previewing this kinda stuff, but whatever

Meanwhile, I got a hold of 'Catcher in the Rye' (full, studio quality) off an American fan last night featuring Brian May [im not uploading it] but needless to say its excellent. Its on the net, if you search around you should be able to find it and download it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i would say that it will be out soon but that is very very short notice alright. Before the gigs in the summer i think it will have turned up. I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

<snip>

Is is also not on to offer illegal downloads. Two week ban. PM me to have it lifted.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

you will be banned instantly for linking. very strict around here.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

They were the band's promotors on the last US tour so it could be true, although if so you would have expected an announcement about a single by now. It was suggested though that they might just suddenly release the album on iTunes out of nowhere and without promotion, to stop pirating beforehand and also for the shock factor, and also because lets face it, Axl never does things the typical way. I do think though that's unlikely coz after ten years of work he would want to release a full package with the CD in it first, so who knows?

The new songs are half and half in terms of quality. Riyadh and the Beduions, Chinese Democracy, Silkworms all sucked. The Blues and There Was A Time were both decent but have lots of potential, particulary TWAT which had a terrible mix. Better and Madagascar are both amazing and I can't wait to hear final studio versions. I think Better would make a good single as well.

Dizzy Reed, GnR Keyboardist, posted a lengthy interview with some college student quite recently (at the end of Jan 2006) and I think you have to read it to understand some of the stuff thats going on. One of the most interesting things is Izzy turning up at Axls house and being turned away, the band not being in the same room since 2002 and Dave Narravo joining GnR

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1152&Itemid=42

On March 3rd, 2006, Axl Rose filed court papers to ask for "ownership of all creative works" [8] by Guns n' Roses. This is not expected to delay the albums release, and according to Guns n Roses manager, Merck Mercuriadis, "This will not delay the new album - quite the opposite - tying up these loose ends allows us to get on with it."

Merck Mercuriadis
    http://www.sanctuarygroup.com/index.php?page=1&l1=2&l2=2&l3=0&getArticleId=145

http://www.sanctuarygroup.com/index.php?l1=6&l2=4&l3=0&rt=AM

Ive sent his assistant an e-mail, if she responds Ill let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I think you have some issues man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

flogen wrote:
    For purely comedic reasons I hope this album bombs; I hope it's an appauling piece of crap that no one ever likes... 10 years for nothing!
    Dont forget the 13 million spent on it!!But People will still buy it because of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Supposed review by Spin magazine
    Guns N' Roses
    Chinese Democracy
    (Interscope)

By: Chuck Klosterman @ www.spin.com

March 27, 2006 / The endless wait is over.

It’s been a long time since Guns N’ Roses have released an album of new material. Everybody knows this, but it’s a fact that bears repeating. If you purchased a kitten on the day that Use Your Illusion I & II arrived in stores, it’s probably dead by now. As a consequence, there has been a great deal of pressure on Axl Rose to deliver a record that would validate a 15-year, $13 million wait. There is really only one way for Chinese Democracy to avoid utter and absolute failure: It needs to be the greatest rock album ever made.

Chinese Democracy is not the greatest rock album ever made.

Oh, it’s certainly awesome, but I don’t think it’s "15 years awesome." Had Axl released his album after a silence of, say, 11 years and two months (at a cost of, say, $11.5 million), Chinese Democracy would be an undeniable masterpiece, but considering the circumstances, some of this work seems shoddy. I get the impression most of the 13 songs were written between 1993 and 1999, and Rose merely spent six or seven years touching them up in the studio. One is forced to wonder if a track like "Madagascar" was only recorded 75 or 80 times, which calls Axl’s alleged "maniacal perfectionism" directly into question.

Does Chinese Democracy offer glimpses of the paranoid, misogynistic genius we once heard on the soundtrack of Interview With the Vampire? Absotively. "The Blues" might be Rose’s crowning career achievement: It’s an epic combination of mid-period Stevie Wonder, early Elton John, and side two of In Through the Out Door. This is the kind of gutter-glam boogie ballad that makes "November Rain" seem like a bucket of burro vomit warming in the afternoon sun. Chinese Democracy is simultaneously propulsive and ponderous, and there are some electrifying guitar arpeggios on both "Silk Worm" and "Thursday Morning Strip Club" (performed, I assume, by either Buckethead, Robin Finck, Zakk Wylde, Johnny Marr, or Brian May -- all five are listed in the liner notes). But this transcendence is sporadic at best: All too often, Rose’s sonic neurosis plunges into self-reflexive self-indulgence, most notably on the outdated 14-minute rap-rock anthem "Pound You (Good)" and an embarrassing "roots rock" duet with new buddy Dave Pirner titled "You’re Still Too Sweet Not to Be My Baby Anymore." Several songs make thinly veiled references to the architect who designed Rose’s backyard topiary garden, a move that may confuse casual listeners.

Obviously, the sexy albatross hanging around Rose’s wiry jugular is simple modernity: Could he create an album that would sound contemporary -- and competitive -- in today’s ever-evolving marketplace? As such, it is hard to understand why he elected to have Chinese Democracy coproduced by Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd, Kiss) and Phil Ramone (Billy Joel, Barbra Streisand). Songs like "Catcher in the Rye" exhibit the sculpted sheen of Billy Joel’s Glass Houses, and the LP includes several tracks on which GNR bassist Tommy Stinson appears to be playing a note-for-note replication of the bass line from "Another Brick in the Wall." Skeptics might also bristle at the anger that still resides in Axl’s heart; his hairstyle and facial features have changed, but his inner intensity remains grizzly-esque. On the caustic rocker "Slash and Burned," Rose lashes out at his former bandmates now in Velvet Revolver with staggering specificity: "Your singer has cocaine eyes and a skeletonized trance / We’ll see if RCA recoups their advance." Rose has also retained his pathological distaste for the media, lyrically attacking the editors of Vanity Fair, MTV personality Sway, numerous teenage bloggers, and the city hall reporter for the Cincinnati Enquirer (who, curiously, has never written about pop music).

Still, Rose always possesses the potential to surprise us, as he does on a slightly reggaetón cover of Thin Lizzy’s "Cowboy Song" and a faithful (albeit befuddling) version of "Think About You," a tune actually written and recorded by Guns N’ Roses in 1987. But a deeper quandary remains: Does Chinese Democracy accomplish its goal? After all this time and all that money, will this album truly bring democracy to China?

I don’t know. I just don’t know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Interesting. At least he's not saying it's ****e!!

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/fascinating%20fact%201286_28_03_2006

Have a look at this, if its true, Axl cant keep something like that locked away can he?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

The review is an April Fools Joke (Not very funny and not the right day):rolleyes:

New Information
    Wikipedia are reporting that Guns N' Roses have regrouped at Axl Rose's house in March 2006 to record a version of the song 'Be Aggressive' (originally a hit for Faith No More) for inclusion on the soundtrack to the film 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning' and it is not yet known whether this song will appear on Chinese Democracy

Information can be found under a search for 'Chinese Democracy' in Wikipedia

The Blues
    One of the new bands better tracks, in that it’s a simple ballad built around the piano, and is very reminiscent of ‘November Rain’ and ‘Estranged’ as well as being individual enough to stand alone. I could see this song becoming a big hit for the new band, if released in the proper format, and if it is included on the new album I suspect it will be a single.

There Was a Time/There Was a Time (Instrumental)
    An epic 6.01 track, with roaring guitars and an excellent guitar solo, this track also ‘quietens down’ for a period (much like the piano solo in ‘Estranged’) for a guitar solo and is certainly one of the better songs. The music itself is very Industrial sounding and the Instrumental version gives you a better idea of the sheer scale at which this was undertaken. Even without the vocals this song has a catchy riff.

Catcher In the Rye (ft. Brian May)
    My favourite track, not least of all because its the nearest I’ll ever get to my two favourite bands of all time are collaborating on the same song, this song is very Beatles esque and is (like ‘The Blues’) built around a simple piano medley with more complex guitar riffs and Brian’s unmistakable guitar playing there throughout. Brian’s vocals aren’t heard, so I don’t know whether that’ll change on the final version, and in the middle the song kind of fades away into an Industrial mix. The lyrics are about someone old looking back at their youth and that ‘youth is wasted on the young’

I.R.S./I.R.S. (Instrumental)
    I.R.S. is a powerful, Zeppelin inspired, guitar driven song with remnants of ‘You Could Be Mine’ in the way Axl delivers his aggression. Very early 90s GnR sounding, would have fit in well with Use Your Illusion 1, the guitar parts are again excellent and the vocals sound very Axl reminiscent (a.k.a. Old School Axl) and as a very short snappy tune this could also be a single.

Better/Better (Instrumental)
    Cited as one of Axl’s favourite tracks on ‘Chinese Democracy’ in his Rolling Stones Interview in January, this is a pretty good performance from Axl, and you cant really fault him. On the other hand it tries to mix Hard Rock with Industrial and at some points it seems to be going on where it could have been cut short. The guitar riff in the middle of the song is worth the album price along, and could become as well known as ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine, if the song makes the album and the albums released.

Oh My God/Oh My God (Instrumental)
    You’ve already heard this by now, it’s been officially released for almost 7 years now, I don’t need to say anything more except Industrial. The Instrumental version was leaked on the net recently too.

MadagascarEpic ‘Civil War’ type song used by the band when they played the MTV VMA Music Awards in 2002, and something that should have been released as a single back then. An excellent song, although because of its inclusion in that particular show, I wonder if it will ever be able to get on the album now.

Chinese Democracy
    A studio version of this song has been heard on the original TV ads for the bands North American 2002 Trek, and listening to that, you understand why you didn’t originally like this when you first heard it. The studio version riff sounds promising, very promising, and this live version is ok but its not how the song sounds in studio. Very Grunge like, the song is perhaps ‘Nirvana’ inspired, and the guitar solos are once again top notch.

Rhiad and the Bedouins
    Very Industrial only played live 5 times, out of 32 shows. Its not very Interesting and is very Nine Inch Nails experimental stuff and Axl doesn’t really nail the vocals properly (because if they are meant to sound the way he sings them its not worth talking about) and the band just goes off in mad directions…a lot of drumming in this too!

Silkworms
    Industrial song with ‘Garden of Eden’ style vocals that is too vulgar to mention. Dizzy Reed and Chris Pittman wrote this song together on Pro-Tools, and Dizzy has already stated in an Interview with Metal Sludge last April that it will not make the album, and I can only say thank god because I cant find anything good about this song. Well maybe the piano part in the middle is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

interesting that they're recording a FNM song. wonder how that'll sound. i'm not a huge GNR fan, but FNM are one of my favs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I love that Faith no more song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I doubt Faith No More rumour is true. Any person can add information to Wikipedia regardless of who they are. Plus this was added around the time of April Fool's Day. Could be anybody added that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea and would mike patton really let g&r do the cover version?

Also guns and roses reforming, does this mean the original line up or whats the story?

countdown thread - at least 6 months to go
    put 6 months next to 14 years...6 months is as close as we've ever been
    we are getting closer with every second, but nobody guarantees it will be only six months.
    and 24 hours ago I used to think it will be 3 months max!

Following his shock apperance on Eddie Trunk last week, what do people think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

wasn't that album supposed to be out circa 5 years ago?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

AXL ROSE - Interviewed on Trunk's Radio Show, May 5th 2006

Link here:

http://www.surrealmuffin.com/mixes/GNR/

Its now allegedly coming out in the Autumn

Advertisement