Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FL studio snobbery

Options
  • 20-03-2006 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Does anyone find there is a snobbery towards Fl studio amongst the electronic musician community. It is said that Fruityloops changed its name to FL studio to combat this snobbery. Is it seen as a toy, like ejay? And how do ye find it compared to the bigger names, Reason etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Reason can't really be compared. Its not a host.

I use FL a good bit. I find it quick to get some ideas going and its pretty stable. I think the interface looks quite sleek but there are some people who think, as you said, it looks like ejay or toyish.

Doesn't really matter what you use if the end results are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

theres a hip hop producer called 9th wonder who used FL to make one of the best underground albums of 05(?) Although he used other bits and peices aswell.. But like was said before.. the end product is all that counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i could be wrong here (most likely am in fact...), but didn't Sasha produce "Expander" using mostly FL?

can't be as bad as some of the snobs make it out to be if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

tman wrote:
    i could be wrong here (most likely am in fact...), but didn't Sasha produce "Expander" using mostly FL?

can't be as bad as some of the snobs make it out to be if that's the case.

yes..i do think that is wrong. Esp considering charlie may is a hardware only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I just never liked the interface of FL compared to Reason.
    FL seems to be popular with hip hop producers for beats.

Reason is, or atleast was at some stage considered to be a toy, but this was usually by elitist old skool guys who were probably just jealous something like it wasn't around when they started producing music.

But i think that if anyone has any doubts about Reasons potential, they only have to listen to guys like SPL or Limewax using it for drum & bass to realise what can be done with it in the right hands, its certainly no toy.

obviously it would be better to Rewire reason with Cubase or Ableton (probably easier) getting access to all those nice VSTi's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the latest prodigy album was done almost entirely in reason. So even though the snobs might sneer at reason, the ultimate hardware man (howlett) obviously thought it was better to use simple easy to use software than time consuming cumbersome-but-pretty hardware.
    Same logic could be applied to fruity loops.
    Having said that, i wouldn't go near fruity loops after discovering the joys of things like pro tools and MAX/MSP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

FL doesn't get the same respect, because most of it's sales are generated by online downloads. People like to get a box and a manual - something tangible for their purchase.

FL is a hugely capable host, albeit with a clunky interface, and poor audio recording capabilities (stereo only, no punch-in, poor editing capabilities). I use it a lot, though I find it pushes me towards lego music - assembling a track from block or loops. Sometimes I use it as a VSTi in Sonar and do all the audio in Sonar.

For the money, it's probably the best package out there, so long as you make electronic music. Personally, I'd rather see a more traditional sequencer based layout to improvce productivity though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Does anyone find there is a snobbery towards Fl studio amongst the electronic musician community. It is said that Fruityloops changed its name to FL studio to combat this snobbery. Is it seen as a toy, like ejay? And how do ye find it compared to the bigger names, Reason etc?
    ??? But it is a toy. It's just a tiny little bit of gimmicky software - like ejay. Terrible unrealistic samples, very limited interface, and poor capabilities overall. Perfect for dance/hip hop though - which is all poorly produced monotonous tripe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The OP wrote:
    Perfect for dance/hip hop though - which is all poorly produced monotonous tripe anyway.

Not at all biased eh :rolleyes:
    A lot of dance / hip-hop music is actually extremely well produced and has some of the most talented producers working in those genres. But like any music some stuff is excellent and some is absolute muck. Making a sweeping statement about any genre of music is just plain silly. It's all about personal taste.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

In fairness like, most professionals don't stick to just one programme, you do realize that you can save a wav-file and open it in a different programme. FL is a nice tool. But I only use the older one for it's 'reverb' effects

• Advertisement
Advertisement