Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone listen to Smog?

• 20-03-2006 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Does anyone here listen to Smog? Im a big fan myself. His new album "A River aint too much to love" Is spectacular.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dress sexy at my funeral...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

lordgoat wrote:
    Dress sexy at my funeral...
    Agreed, Amazing song.

"Wear your blouse undone to here
    and your skirt split up to there"

Very brave lyrics for a song, such visual words yet they translate perfectly through the speakers. So clever.
    They remind me of a line from Randy Newmans song
    "In Germany before the war".

"A little girl has lost her way,
    with hair of gold and eyes of grey,
    reflected in his glasses as he watches her"

Quite Profound in their ability to make the listener visualise. The attention to detail is clearly the successful vehicle of communication in both cases here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dohboy

Saw him in galway a few months back and he was great. A charismatic performer, and a great voice. Jim white - dirty 3 drummer - was playing with him and was deadly too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

dohboy wrote:
    Saw him in galway a few months back and he was great. A charismatic performer, and a great voice. Jim white - dirty 3 drummer - was playing with him and was deadly too.

damn i missed him, that pissese me off... Oh don't i feel like the mother of the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

I agree, I think "a River ain't too much..." is great, but it's the only thing of his i've got.

Is the pared-down sound typical of all their albums?

Which other ones should i get?

• Advertisement

"A river aint too much to love" is a very accessible Smog album, His early stuff is very "pared down" and lo-fi, enter Jim O Rourke as producer and a more aesthetically beautiful sound emerged ("Knock Knock"). I would recommend you follow up with "knock Knock", "Red apple falls" and "dongs of sevotion". But once you get into smog, develop true patience for his stuff and understand what he's about you will soon realise that just about everything he does is on the ball. Even the madness of "Rain on lens". Smog can be compared to Tom Waits or Captain Beefheart in this respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I rate Bill Calahan among the best song writers ever, musically he is brilliant also. So he manages to excel at both sides of the coin. I know everything up to Dongs and all of it is good, some of it mesmerizing e.g. To Be Of Use.
    He really isn't spoken about enough..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Got a loan of supper and am listening to it in work atm. It's just beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Jim10000 wrote:
    I agree, I think "a River ain't too much..." is great, but it's the only thing of his i've got.

Is the pared-down sound typical of all their albums?

Which other ones should i get?

Knock Knock is probably the best. Red Apple Falls and Dongs of Sevotion are class too. DO NOT buy Rain on Lens its not up to scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Yeah, knock knock was a great album...the album cover was cool, what with the cat and the lightning in the background! The song that sticks out for me from that album is 'Cold blooded old times'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

I've only heard vessel in vain which i love <3

can someone recommend me 3 more songs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Saw him support the Palace Brothers in Whelans.

Only record I own is the Kicking A Couple Around 12". Good stuff.

ronano wrote:
    I've only heard vessel in vain which i love <3

can someone recommend me 3 more songs?

"Teenage Spaceship", "Riverguard", "Rock bottom riser", "I break horses", "37 pushups". (I know you only asked for three, but it was too hard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

haha thanks <3

I've been listening to the start of 'Dead Man's Shoes' on repeat just for the song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

Great music to listen to driving esp the song " I could drive forever" from "knock knock"

Advertisement