Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher query

Options
  • 20-03-2006 1:19pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a Bosch dishwasher in active service for 4 years, probably on every second evening on average.
    Has been making noise this last year or two but not a problem as we are never in the room.
    For the last wash or so the dishes have not been cleaned properly.
    There is - for want of a better word - "sand" like stuff on the dishes when we take them out. They then need washing by hand.
    Neither the salt or rinse aid light is flashing.
    Parts are covered but the call-out is €80.

Any boards advice?
    Only pointed out by the better half this morning so my first idea is to top up with salt - maybe the indicator is not working.
    Would appreciate any advice from someone who has encoutered similar story.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

slave1 wrote:
    Have a Bosch dishwasher in active service for 4 years, probably on every second evening on average.
    Has been making noise this last year or two but not a problem as we are never in the room.
    For the last wash or so the dishes have not been cleaned properly.
    There is - for want of a better word - "sand" like stuff on the dishes when we take them out. They then need washing by hand.
    Neither the salt or rinse aid light is flashing.
    Parts are covered but the call-out is €80.

Any boards advice?
    Only pointed out by the better half this morning so my first idea is to top up with salt - maybe the indicator is not working.
    Would appreciate any advice from someone who has encoutered similar story.

Salt required. Ignore the salt light and fill weekly for perfect cleaning. The tablets which are supposed to contain salt are nowhere near as effective as filling the salt resevoir regularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have a bosch dishwasher too... have you tried washing out the filter / trap thing at the bottom? I find this makes a big improvement. otherwise - refill salt / rinse aid even if light is not on. Try turning up the rinse-aid dial as well. Check the salt dosing setting (RTFM) and increase the setting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Topped up the salt last night, was very low alright, also topped the rinse aid but that was okay so hopefully it was the salt indicator, I'm not going to mess with the dosage settings - just yet - as they have been fine for the last 4 years.
    Also cleaned the filter at the bottom and it wasn't that bad.
    Next wash will tell!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if the grit is white then it's low salt levels,

if it's not white is color then it's one of 2 things:

1: holes in spray arms are blocked

or

2: more than likely your problem is a tall item (or cutlery basket) blocking the spray arm fully turning (which would probably explain the noise) try running the dishwasher without the basket or anything in it and see,

also, to clear remaining grit but it on a high temp wash with nothing in it with a bit of milton and that will clear any remaining grit in the dishwashers system

wouldn't really be the filter as that'd be more of a drainage problem you'd be experiencing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

the grit was not white,
    I topped the salt and rinse aid and the dishwasher was on last night,
    no grit but dishes not fully cleaned/smeary
    the spray arms are not being blocked
    The better half has it on empty wash and I now think that maybe its not heating the water because she says its not got that warm feeling to it
    If its washing the dishes with cold water that may be leaving some dirt and then the drying cycle is caking it a bit.
    Will do the milton option also
    If all fails...
    Will check service options and call-out rates, AFAIK parts are covered for 5 years
    Tks for help

• Advertisement
Advertisement