Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving home a new car?

Options
  • 20-03-2006 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I have to buy a car in the next one or two weeks.But here's my dilemma (or lack of knowledge):
    This would be my first car in Ireland,so I don't have insurance.
    How can I test drive the car (I wouldn't buy one without a test drive)?
    How can I drive it home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A test-drive will be covered by the garage insurance, as long as you have a valid drivers license. If you buy the car, you will have to arrange insurance before collecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

In addition to what Anan 1 said, the garage may arrange to have someone drive it home for you (although you are going to have to insure it anyway if you want to use it in a public place).

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Thanks for the quick replies lads!

I think I made a mistake:
    I ment "new" car for me :o,but it would be a second hand car (although from a dealership).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

gibbon75 wrote:
    Thanks for the quick replies lads!

I think I made a mistake:
    I ment "new" car for me :o,but it would be a second hand car (although from a dealership).

Still the same with test drive, the garage insurance covers you but one of the guys from garage will have to go with you(sitting in back) because you havent your own insurance. Im test driving cars at moment and all garage asks me if I have fully comp insurance and I can test drive by myself which is better because you can drive the ass off the car then:D

In my case this means if I buy a car,I have to leave it at the dealership/seller,till I sort out my insurance :(
    I'm from Hungary,and I have a 9 year NCB from my home insurance company.
    But my insurance documents need to be translated and sent over here (in progress),and the local insurance company have to call the hungarian one.So it's complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the best option is sort out your insurance before you even go and test drive it,eg get your papers ready and talk to you insurance company that if you want to buy it there and then will there be any problem with insurance or will it be alright if they says it shouldnot be a problem then go and test drive it and buy it. donot waste time by going and then finding out there is a problem insuring the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

IMO is there any point in buying a car untill you know for sure what your insurance is going to be. If thee are issues with getting a full NCB it could make a big difference in what car you choose. Also this does give you a lot more time to shop around. The last thing you want is to be looking at a car in the drive with no insurance (its very easy to drive to the corner shop have a fender then get done for no insurance). You should be able to use your own license to test drive any car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

gibbon75 wrote:
    In my case this means if I buy a car,I have to leave it at the dealership/seller,till I sort out my insurance :(
    I'm from Hungary,and I have a 9 year NCB from my home insurance company.
    But my insurance documents need to be translated and sent over here (in progress),and the local insurance company have to call the hungarian one.So it's complicated.

gibbon75 - are you sure you can transfer your NCB from Hungary? Many insurance companies do not recognise NCB from another country. I've met several people who had been driving, claim free, for years in the US and UK but when then came (or returned) to Ireland they had to start from scratch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hungary is in the EU now, so you should be able to get it recognised. On the subject of buying the car, go and test drive what ever you want at garages, thier insurance will cover you, if you like something, a small deposit €100 or so will be enough to hold the car until you get the insurance sorted and then you can close the deal.

I phoned Allianz about my NCB from Hungary,and they accept it (thank God).Even though I have a year break in my policy they accept a 2 year break,because in Hungary if you cancel your insurance you don't loose your NCB for 2 years (so you don't have to start from scratch).
    My mate is from Poland,and he is with Hibernian and accepted his NCB as well.Although in Poland you loose your NCB after a 6 month break.

And thanks again for the help lads!

ps:The Boards helped me a lot since I've landed in Ireland :D

• Advertisement

By the way,anyone close to this Seat dealership in Dublin :D

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=338062

This car seems tempting,but to drive from Cork and to find out it was damaged etc...

Advertisement