Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught Speeding

Options
  • 20-03-2006 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

hey,

caught by camera last night in lucan.

but was driving my mother's car so will points and fine be automatically be given to her as the car is in her name?

also, anyone know how much the fine will be? think i was doing 70mph in 50mph zone...

thanks

Comments

A form should be posted out to the regular owner of the car.

It is then up to the owner of the car to declare who was driving the car at the time on the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

kraggy wrote:
    hey,

caught by camera last night in lucan.

but was driving my mother's car so will points and fine be automatically be given to her as the car is in her name?

also, anyone know how much the fine will be? think i was doing 70mph in 50mph zone...

thanks

Fine is usually €80 and two points. You may not get anything as there may not have been any film in the camera, administration errors etc. If you have been detected it may take several weeks for the fixed penalty notice to arrive.

(PS did you mean 70KPH in a 50KPH)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

TBH, even if it flashed, the chances of you actually being fined are fairly slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dubwhite

I noticed there's been a white van parked at the side of the road (eastbound) on the Navan Road near the Blanch Centre for the past few days. I've a horrible suspicion it's got a speed camera in it. Can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

White, blue or green high roof transits ? Blacked out windows? 89 D?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

yeah i actually noticed the white vans myself, there's 1 near newlands cross too if your heading into tallaght.

i have heard it houses a camera in the back, but i don't know how true it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

This van is dead easy to spot as it has blacked out rear windows with a neat square clear patch in the window on the drivers side!! Totally obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dubwhite wrote:
    I noticed there's been a white van parked at the side of the road (eastbound) on the Navan Road near the Blanch Centre for the past few days. I've a horrible suspicion it's got a speed camera in it. Can anyone confirm this?

Seen that, girlfriend hoping it isnt.....because if it is she is done, strange thou if it is they left it sitting out all night....if it was the Garda van they usually move it after a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its true there is a camera in the lower right hand corner of the right rear door. Its the only part of the window not blacked out. And it always has film in it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Big Nelly wrote:
    Seen that, girlfriend hoping it isnt.....because if it is she is done, strange thou if it is they left it sitting out all night....if it was the Garda van they usually move it after a while

The gatso vans are never left on their own AFAIK, because:

a) It would be embarassing if they were stolen
    b) The Garda can provide corroborative evidence if required.

They have a nice little desk and cab heater and all for the Garda!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dubwhite

Bond-007 wrote:
    White, blue or green high roof transits ? Blacked out windows? 89 D?

Yeah, it's an old white transit I think. I looked in my rearview and didn't see
    anyone sitting in the front, or any light coming from it. I guess those cameras can run on autopilot anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sorry to say that camera in Lucan works fine (One of the few in the country).

Its just across from the Spa Hotel.

That camera nevers stops flashing.

Its a 80 kph zone.

Your hope is that it is out of film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There is (was) a white transit abandoned on that stretch recently.

The Garda vans also have a reflective strip across the back doors (unusual for that type of van).

Another favourite spot for the van is amongst the traffic cones between Citywest and Rathcoole on the N7 southbound or on the hill just past Rathcoole.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Trampas wrote:

Well, usually always working. Sometimes it goes mad, flashing at everything, and nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the gaurds just sit in the back, on there phones and just chill while the camera does the work of catching people:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

kraggy wrote:
    think i was doing 70mph in 50mph zone...
    Will you stop speeding now? 70 in a 50 is quite a bit over (whether in km/h or mph).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Trampas wrote:

Its a 80 kph zone.

Your hope is that it is out of film.

I may be wrong but I believe the fixed Gatsos no longer use film, they went digital a year or two ago. On the bright side, I remember reading that there are only something like three camera units for the whole country that get swapped around between locations. A Gatso with no camera in it will still flash afaik.

Advertisement