Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsgroups anyone?

• 20-03-2006 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else uses newgroups? I've been a long time subscriber to Easynews but find their cap (20GB) is too low. However their web based search engine (global search) is superb and I would miss this feature if I went elsewhere. Comments or recommendations for alternative providers anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

www.usenetserver.com is very good and no cap. You need to use newzbin.com with it though. As it doesnt have a search feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

irishguy wrote:
    www.usenetserver.com is very good and no cap. You need to use newzbin.com with it though. As it doesnt have a search feature

$14.95 per month uncapped is excellent. Already using newzbin tbh as I use a newsreader with NZB files (Easynews credit 25% downloads with NNTP back). However, as I mentioned I'd really miss the web global search engine easynews offer. It's perfect for one off MP3's and stuff. Do any other newsgroup providers offer a web based search engine?

According to usenetserver:

Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:30:34 GMT

We have taken down the nzb search function of the supersearch site in favor of the global search. We will be rolling the hardware from the nzb search into the global search to add redundancy and make room for growth.

-Engineering

Do they offer a global search facility like easynews?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i didnt read your post properly, i dont know any other provider that offers that service. Is it really that good? Unlimited download would be alot better IMO

irishguy wrote:
    i didnt read your post properly, i dont know any other provider that offers that service. Is it really that good? Unlimited download would be alot better IMO

An uncapped service supporting NZB which you could use with newzbin would be excellent. The global search engine on Easynews is fantastic though. Retention on newzbin is shíte, even though they claim it's about 50 days. Maybe it is on some groups..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm Digiweb (Metro) and I've been unable to access any newsgroups at all since the service was first connected.
    Not entirely sure that it's a fault on their end - but I dont know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use newsleecher and newshosting, the integrated search and add to queue in newsleecher is extremely handy as is the uncapped nature of newshosting.

Used to use UNS but found completion and retention slightly worse than Newshosting , both are pretty similar pricewise for the unlimited packages.

You can find a nzb googlesque search at binsearch.info but it can get very slow sometimes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

zoro wrote:
    I'm Digiweb (Metro) and I've been unable to access any newsgroups at all since the service was first connected.

What ports do newsgroups use anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

not sure ... google? :)

zuma wrote:
    What ports do newsgroups use anyway?

If your asking this from the point of view of being behind a firewall at work Easynews (afair) is the only one offering access through port 80 (same as internet traffic). Easynews also allow you to "pop" all your downloads into a zip queue. You then download the zip file. This is excellent as it looks (and is) like your downloading a zip file as opposed to a Mp3, Avi etc.

• Advertisement

The 6 million dollar question:

I understand If I download via the web or NNTP from
    Easynews, there is no log of the transaction kept (from
    Easynews) and therefore no traceability.

However what about my ISP? If I download via NNTP or the
    web will my ISP have a log of this? Is downloading SSL
    connection through the Zip queues system the only 100%,
    untraceable way of downloading form newsgroups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 iluvbeer

daveg wrote:

There's a thread running in the Easynews forum at the moment about this very topic.
    Is that you?

If not, here's a quote from the thread.
    SSL - whether you use it under HTTP or NNTP - gives you
    untraceability. All that your ISP will ever know is that
    you're downloading from a usenet provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I use http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html they had a special of 90Gb for $25(no time limit) but its back to 65Gb for $25(no time limit)
    Still excelent service it always maxes out my connection 3mb

I also use www.newzbin.com

zoro wrote:

try different ports, this happened a mate with Clearwire and i changed the ports for him and it worked like a charm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

daveg wrote:

SSL should be somewhat untraceable, except your ISP will know that you're downloading from a specific provider. However, the provider will presumably have some sort of records of what customers download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

daveg wrote:

SSL should be somewhat untraceable, except your ISP will know that you're downloading from a specific provider. However, the provider will presumably have some sort of records of what customers download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Easynews claim they nuke all records so that you're untraceable, I wouldn't be worried about it anyway, you'd have to be a serious privact nut to be worried bout your newsgroup browsing being watched.

My setup is NTL newserver on 1st priority in newsleecher for anything which is 2->10 days old, easynews on 2nd priority in newsleecher for everything else.

NTL's server is erratic and doesnt carry all the groups (no a.b.multimedia, no a.b.tv no a.b.hdtv no a.b.dvd) but they get a good feed of anything else I've wanted.

With that setup hard drive space is my only constant problem, speeds are always insane.

If I ever ditch the NTL, newshosting sound like a good option.

iluvbeer wrote:
    There's a thread running in the Easynews forum at the moment about this very topic.
    Is that you?

If not, here's a quote from the thread.

:o Well spotted. Thats me :)

you'd have to be a serious privact nut to be worried bout your newsgroup browsing being watched.
    I'm not downloading anything "suspect" just the usual that other's less in the know would use P2P for. However I am concerned about the "attention" some P2P programs are drawing and torrents for that matter.

From what I understand, and from what easynews support have told me on my other thread, easynews (and most binary providers) retain no logs of downloads. If you use a newsreader to download (NNTP) using SSL (not easy as not many newsreaders support SSL and I can't get the one's that do support it working), or if you download over the web on a secure connection, your ISP can see your connected to Easynews but cannot see what your downloading. It is not illegal to connect to www.secure.members.easynews.com last time I checked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I have user www.powerusenet.com for the last 4 months and find it to be excellent at $14.95 unlimited per month. Only problem is the 30 day binary retention time which is low.

I've just moved to www.giganews.com... they have a 55 day retention and a reasonably priced unlimited product.

I use Grabit from www.shemes.com for downloading. It's free and has NZB support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

I use giganews too ( they now have 62 days retention) with newsleecher which has built in global search.

• Advertisement

Wow, 62 days retention...

Might have to switch to giganews next year and get a few others to share the somewhat steep 25$...

By the way, don't worry about going with a provider who do not do global search. www.binsearch.info is free, good retention and makes nzb files for you. Can be a bit slow sometimes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I use newshosting, 15 dollars a month uncapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

I use Easynews, I find it excellent, nearly always maxes out my 10Mb connection if I am using a Download accelerator. I find that the 20Gb a month is plenty but I only download about 5/6 tv shows a week and the odd film.
    Has anyone noticed that Easynews seems to be getting worse at having all the zip files needed to make the actual file that you are looking for?

No they've been as good as ever for me.

Learn to use QuickPar. It will be very very very rare that you're missing too many files to not be able to recover it with quickpar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Learn to use QuickPar. It will be very very very rare that you're missing too many files to not be able to recover it with quickpar.
    I do know how to use QuickPar but there has been plenty of times when they were unable to recover the file, I just have to wait until they are resubmitted or look somewhere else for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 iluvbeer

digiman wrote:
    Has anyone noticed that Easynews seems to be getting worse at having all the zip files needed to make the actual file that you are looking for?

Do you mean the AutoUnrar in global searches?
    I've noticed a few regular episodes are not making it complete to the HTTP side of things but they are also incomplete in the NNTP server and need some pars to repair. I can only assume its because of bad propogation from the source server and not really the fault of Easynews. Its just more noticeable there, as one missing article means a missing rar on the HTTP server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I use http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html they had a special of 90Gb for $25(no time limit) but its back to 65Gb for $25(no time limit)
    Still excelent service it always maxes out my connection 3mb
    Ok I just signed up to this crowd. Does anyone wanna tell me how I go about downloading stuff off it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I use www.100proofnews.com
    $8.95 per month for a 50 Gb cap.
    Been using this service for 6 months and no complaints.

Skyuser wrote:
    Ok I just signed up to this crowd. Does anyone wanna tell me how I go about downloading stuff off it now?

Download "Grabit" google it

Open Grabit, look for "My Grabit" (near top left of screen) right click it and click "Add Server" input the details you got from the site you just uploaded to.

ill type the rest moro im too tired now

• Advertisement

Skyuser wrote:

sign up for www.newzbin.com as well, really cheap, browse there selection of stuff, download the .nzb file from them and import the .nzb file into Grabit(open grabit, click "batch" click "article import")

;)

Advertisement