Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsgroups anyone?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

wow way to confusin. i got as far as grabit but from there on im lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I use easynews, because I like downloading via http. It suits me, and my environment.

If i had a connection that was unlimited, and ultra fast, and didn't have any blocked ports, I'd use giganews unlimited - great retention.

Then again after a while, there's only so much you can download.

At the moment, I have about 60gb credit with easynews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

bush wrote:
    I use newshosting, 15 dollars a month uncapped.

Same here, great retention and completion. Paying more for a different provider doesn't make much sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eoghanflynn

i got a free trail with usenext an tought it was real good but might go for giginews wich on is the best?and wich ones do you get software with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

i used to use Usenet but found that some files i was getting were un repairable even with the pars so i tried the same download from giganews and didnt need the pars ever since then i kept with them.

I use newzbin to get the nzb's and download using newsbin pro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shanefeb

Do the like of Giganews etc. allow highspeed downloading via one-way satellite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

They work over any internet connection. Whatever the best speed you can get downloading from a site like ftp://ftp.heanet.ie or any other fast website is likely to be what you get from them.

I know easynews let you select multiple internet routings so that the data travels through the quickest path to your ISP. Eg if I choose some of their options my speeds are ~80k, some of the other ones will give me 365k.

It's safe to say a decent newsgroup provider will max your connection out. No uploading (other than acknowledgements), unlike P2P etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's safe to say a decent newsgroup provider will max your connection out. No uploading (other than acknowledgements), unlike P2P etc.

Some private torrent sites will easily max out your connection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Iam using ASTRANEWS @ $15 a month (no banned groups) i have used Giganews, but have found that even with their retention of 62 days, enough files have disappeared after 35 days to make the file dead , also using Newsreaders Newsbinpro/Grabbit and searchers Newsleech/newsbin
    @demonofthefall
    Are u sure its NTL blocking these groups and not your News server???

cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

It looks interesting....what ports do newsgroup require?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Iam not a PORT expert, but iam sure that i have seen 119 pop up a few times during my Newgroup use!!

cramp

Advertisement