Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerosene / Diesel

Options
  • 20-03-2006 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hey guys wasn't too sure where to post.

We ran out of heating oil there last week, and we decided there's no point getting more as the college year is nearly over and the minimum call out is over €200.

Anyone know if I'm able to get heating oil in a small quantity or at a forecourt. Someone told me diesel would be fine but I find that hard to believe.

Its a small, old, crappy boiler if that helps!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

SeanPuddin wrote:

We ran out of heating oil there last week, and we decided there's no point getting more as the college year is nearly over and the minimum call out is over €200.

Anyone know if I'm able to get heating oil in a small quantity or at a forecourt. Someone told me diesel would be fine but I find that hard to believe.

Thanks

Yes you can use diesel. Get green (agricultural) diesel if you can as it's much cheaper although not that many filling stations have it. You will probably get it in a busy one in a rural or semi-rural area. You'll need a container e.g. 5 gallon drum. Or contact 'Slab' Murphy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

SeanPuddin wrote:

Thanks
    If your boiler is setup for kerosene, you cannot use diesel. If it runs at all in this cold weather, it will burn badly and probably soot up the boiler.
    Also, if you only get a small quantity, you may not have enough to push the oil through and may not be able to bleed the burner. You will pay a lot more at a forecourt.
    Landlords hate people like you who mess around with heating systems :mad: It always costs them in the end.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does any local shop sell drums of Kero?

A Centra near me sells 5 gallon drums of Kerosene specifically for OFCH, handy for emergencies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If the boiler is indoors it is more than likely kerosene. Is there a label on the tank.

Can you negociate to get some refund for the remaining fuel in the tank at the end of the lease, it will stop you damaging the heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Try another (maybe smaller) oil company who might deliver a smaller amount. It will still have to be bled.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Some filling stations connected to oil delivery companies sell kerosene from pumps e.g. Geraghty Oil(part of Corrib Oil). Check the different forecourts....

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Check Smaller companies Like Mcloughlins I think it Was as when I had my heating installed last summer I had to get a small Amount to test it And it was around 130 I think for 120 litres ,,,

Worth opening the phone book and making a few calls

Rob

Advertisement