Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Eircom Netopia Wireless

• 20-03-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

The problem is down in my Auntie's house, I was having a look at it last night seeing I'm labelled the computer expert by everyone in the family....

She has Eircom broadband, with a Netopia wireless router, actually 2 of them because Eircom sent her a replacement because they thought the problem was with the router. Ok here's what's happening - when she plugs the laptop to the router via ethernet, it works fine. But neither router appears to be broadcasting any wireless signal. I brought along my laptop, which has a Wifi card and works fine, and it didn't pick up any networks in range. I tried going into the browser based settings (19.34.127.254 or something like that) - Wireless was enabled and the light was on. I tried Disabling it, then re-enabling, still no joy. I tried this on both routers, and when I did the green light for Wireless went off when disabled and came on when enabled, so it didn't look like there was any problem there.

Now another Auntie lives across the road, and has the exact same setup with Eircom broadband and the Netopia wireless router, so I popped over to hers and my laptop saw her network no problems.

I'm a bit stumped, I find it hard to believe the both routers are faulty, but I've tried turning off and turning back on the Wireless on both, with no effect. Broadband via ethernet is fine on both as well.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

In the wireless settings, click on "Advanced Configuration Options".
    Make sure "Enable Closed System Mode" is NOT ticked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

did anyone do the wireless installation? :confused: ...... If you use the ethernet connection via cable its dead simple but the wireless connection setup is a lot more detailed ... I wonder if it was done from the CD disc supplied? ... :confused:

here's the instructions ..... hit broadband support .... select netopia wireless in the "set up broadband section" .... and hit the netopia 3347nwg ......

http://support.eircom.net/

Read the instructions carefully! ....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

hey - thanks for all the replies!

I was on to eircom last night and the guy on the phone was actually quite techy and got the problem sorted.

What he did was go into the router configuration, and switch the channel that the router was broadcasting on. I think there was a dropdown list with values of 1 - 20, it was set at 7 for some reason, I switched this to 1, turned it off and back on (I think!), same with pc, and it worked!

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem!

Advertisement