Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a handgun!!

Options
  • 20-03-2006 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all my brother is very interested in getting a hand gun, he has been shooting in one form or another for 22 years. He has his heart set on a beretta but before he goes off spending a fortune on a monitored alarm, club membership and then the gun itself, i was wondering could any of you make any suggestions on a good all round hand gun/pistol.

The gun will be used mainly for target shooting, we live in clare so he is thinking of joining the fermoy club as i think it is the closest to us. Here is the big but, he is also going to put down on the license application that it will be used to humanely dispatch deer.

I was thinking a 9mm but other than that i don't know. He wants a beretta but are they a reliable gun, do they cost a fortune, what would you recommend for the above jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sounds like you're trying to get a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none affair Veg. Can't speak as to the shooting deer application, but I'd recommend a .22lr pistol for target shooting in fermoy to start with. There's too much to learn if he's not been shooting pistol beforehand to be learning on a pistol where every trigger pull costs fifty cents and up :D

Besides which, sourcing .22lr pistols and ammo has less complication associated with it right now.

Myself, I'd suggest something like an IZH-35 (either the Baikal original or the Feinwerkbau or Walther versions). If he's not really into the precision part of the sport though, something like a Ruger might be a better choice. And if he wants to practise so he can get a fullbore pistol later, maybe something like a CZ Kadet/Sig Mosquito would be a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well not really looking for a jack of all trades, it'll be more a beginner target pistol to be honest but it'll have to be capable of dispatching deer also as this is one of the main reasons he wants it.

Thanks for the suggestions S

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

If I may suggest a Hammerli x-esse sport in .22.
    I shoot a Hammerli 208s and a number of members in the club have x esse's and have never known a problem with their products.
    I agree with Sparks, if he is not going to shoot practical but will probably shoot precission then a .22 is the best choice for a variety of reasons including, access to cheap ammo, easy to explain to your super why you want it, lots of clubs to shoot in etc. As for humanely shooting deer with a handgun, ---- bull s--t. :mad:
    Best of luck
    Seamus :)

I shoot a Hammerli 208s and a number of members in the club have x esse's and have never known a problem with their products.
    I agree with Sparks, if he is not going to shoot practical but will probably shoot precission then a .22 is the best choice for a variety of reasons including, access to cheap ammo, easy to explain to your super why you want it, lots of clubs to shoot in etc. As for humanely shooting deer with a handgun, ---- bull s--t. :mad:
    Best of luck
    Seamus :)

Thanks for the advice on the pistols

what do u mean by the last comment, i see no problem with humanely ending a deers life with a hand gun after it has been shot with a .270 round but has not died. Well maybe you'd rather i arm wrestled him to death :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

now that would be interesting to see why should you have the advantage:p

• Advertisement

scout wrote:
    now that would be interesting to see why should you have the advantage:p

they've got no arms, so it would be quite one sided :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

have you ever seen them clash heads?

the hoofs etc...

scout wrote:
    have you ever seen them clash heads?

the hoofs etc...

have never seen them butt heads while out hunting(have seen it on tv) but have heard them calling out at dusk and they sound like lions.

To be honest i think a hand gun is the easiest way to prevent injury to myself and more importantly to put an end to excess suffering of such beautiful animals.

Always the hand gun would be a last resort, every time i go hunting deer i strive to improve my field craft so eventually i will not need to shoot them twice as one shot (from the deer rifle) will be all that is needed.

As for humanely shooting deer with a handgun, ---- bull s--t. :mad:
    'Tis a legal requirement in Germany, don't forget...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sparks wrote:
    'Tis a legal requirement in Germany, don't forget...

and vets can get handgun licences for this as well cant they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

I would go for a H&K USP in 9mm or .45
    Classic gun and very reliable:D www.H&K.de/usp

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I shoot a Hammerli 208s and a number of members in the club have x esse's and have never known a problem with their products.:)

Have to agree! Lovely pistol to shoot:) €700 or so for top of the range as imported by your local dealer.

As for humanely shooting deer with a handgun, ---- bull s--t. :mad:
    Best of luck
    Seamus :)[/QUOTE]
    Most of the humane killers are in .32 acp but are on permit not firearms cert.
    Having said that I know one guy got a licence on the strenght of it in north dublin, but would only give him a .22!!!!! Hard to see it humanely dispatch a 20 stone stag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Having said that I know one guy got a licence on the strenght of it in north dublin, but would only give him a .22!!!!! Hard to see it humanely dispatch a 20 stone stag!
    Well, with a .22 (rifle), I'll pretty much guarantee a first shot kill on a 100 stone cow.
    We're talking about applying the coup de grace here, not stalking and taking a deer with a handgun.

That said, I'd rather do it with something in 9mm or .38/.357 with a nice expanding bullet.

Is there anyone selling hollow-point/expanding handgun ammo here, or is that going too far from the 'target shooting' for which the vast majority of handgun licences are issued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Back on topic-
    Handguns are very 'personal' items, for want of a better word.
    Whatever your brother decides on Vegeta, it's essential that he tries a few out before spending money.

If someone hasn't used handguns before, they're surprisingly variable in size, fit, ease of use, etc. Everyone is different, and a gun that falls naturally to hand for me may be impossibly awkward for you. All kind of things make a difference- the size and shape of your hands, length and thickness of fingers and thumbs, digital dexterity, etc. Some guns have thick grips, others may be too thin; safety catches and slide releases may be easy or hard to reach and operate; is the shooter left handed?

The only place I know of with a selection of club guns is Hilltop in Wicklow, which is a fair old step from you in Clare, but better to spend a day and a few bob trying out a variety of guns than dropping decent money on a gun that might turn out to be a disappointment, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Recommonded pistol, a Para LDA HiCap Limited 9.

For dispatching deer, a Buck Zipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Rovi wrote:
    Back on topic-
    Handguns are very 'personal' items, for want of a better word.
    Whatever your brother decides on Vegeta, it's essential that he tries a few out before spending money.

If someone hasn't used handguns before, they're surprisingly variable in size, fit, ease of use, etc. Everyone is different, and a gun that falls naturally to hand for me may be impossibly awkward for you. All kind of things make a difference- the size and shape of your hands, length and thickness of fingers and thumbs, digital dexterity, etc. Some guns have thick grips, others may be too thin; safety catches and slide releases may be easy or hard to reach and operate; is the shooter left handed?

The only place I know of with a selection of club guns is Hilltop in Wicklow, which is a fair old step from you in Clare, but better to spend a day and a few bob trying out a variety of guns than dropping decent money on a gun that might turn out to be a disappointment, in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. You reading my mind again Rovi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KerryShooter

I heard alot of bad things about the Beretta M9 / 92F, from a mate in the states, apparently the Italian ones can have a weakness in the steel, can't cope with alot of the hotter 9mm ammo, could be American bravardo ours is better than theirs sort of thing,

Nice link, my American friend has been vindicated, you would't want to go buy a surplus one then..

Why not? Read the conclusions:
    The Beretta M9/92 pistol has been in service with our military for almost 20 years now. After the production problems documented previously were addressed, the pistol proved to be mechanically sound and reliable, enduring hundreds of thousands of rounds with little trouble provided proper maintenance was supplied. A redesign in the locking block of the M9 pistol made changes to that important piece less frequent, causing the pistol to require even less time at the armorer’s bench.
    Few military sidearms have proven themselves to be as good a weapon as the M9 has turned out to be, despite the gun shop gossip to the contrary.

It wouldn't be my choice, but then it's not designed for anything I'd be doing. But if you wanted a 9mm, it seems like a decent enough choice to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There going back to a .45 handgun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

SF units are going back to the 45 .But then they can choose alot of their personal gear.The normal GIs are still stuck with the M9.Not my fav either.It seems too bulky for the mag capacity.

One trouble with the humane dispatch as a sole reason;is if the Super is clued in he could say "OK I'll grant you a handgun permit allright.For a .25 cal derringer as that is really enough for a coup de grace gun!!"
    This is apprently another arguement showing now up in the UK with the stalkers winning the right back to own handguns.Soooo it would behove you Veg to have another "good reason" to back up the humane killer.Just in case your local Super is abit more with it than mine.
    A good starter gun would be INMHO a Browning Hi power 9mm,or a copy of it made by a myriad of countries.reliable,relatively cheap in surplus guns,plenty of parts to customise it,and will accept a .22lr kit.Will eat some cruddy ammo as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Ditto what Rovi said...

It's amazing how different makes and calibres feel ..

IMHO ..A Glock ..in 9mm ..will kick more and therefore be harder to control and
    be accurate with than a 1911 ..in .45

Strange but true.. !

Try as many different makes and calibres as you can before spending any money ..It's really a case of finding out what "fit's" you best .
    You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes in size 9.. just because a buddy said they fitted him . Course not .. you'd try on lots of different sizes first .
    Same advice applies to picking a handgun for target shooting.

One trouble with the humane dispatch as a sole reason;is if the Super is clued in he could say "OK I'll grant you a handgun permit allright.For a .25 cal derringer as that is really enough for a coup de grace gun!!"
    And if it will do the job, what's the problem?

jaycee wrote:
    Ditto what Rovi said...

It's amazing how different makes and calibres feel ..

IMHO ..A Glock ..in 9mm ..will kick more and therefore be harder to control and
    be accurate with than a 1911 ..in .45

Strange but true.. !

Try as many different makes and calibres as you can before spending any money ..It's really a case of finding out what "fit's" you best .
    You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes in size 9.. just because a buddy said they fitted him . Course not .. you'd try on lots of different sizes first .
    Same advice applies to picking a handgun for target shooting.

I agree with what you guys are saying its just difficult to try before he buys down here in clare, was lookin to get a few opinions so i could tell him what calibre and brand to go lookin for. Anyone ever heard of Tanfoglio pistols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Used and fired both of them 9mm Glock and 45 1911.The 1911 kicks more,and it's grip isnt as ergonomic as the Glocks.The Glock in 45 ACP,that kicks.
    Sparks,
    Of course it will do the job,but it might limit you solely to that type of gun.In other words humane dispatch doesnt require a 9mm Glock,which can also be used for practical pistol,target shooting,etc.So if you want somthing more than two shots it would be prudent to say you want it for another type of shooting as well.

Tangiflino,is basically the CZ guns made in Italy.Made ther due to some thing in the 70s about embargoes from weapons from communist countries being imported to the West,which didnt apply to Italy.They became a big gun on the bodygaurd circut due to FN having some major quality control problems in the 70s/80s,and are still considerd a pros choice.All in all a pretty good solid gun.
    Apart from price and finish not much of a difference between the CZ or Tanglifino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

at least do it in style an eagle .5

What on earth would you use a handcannon like that for though?

As far as i remember Desert Eagle .50 AE weighs about 8.5lbs & has an 8 shot mag, why not just get a rifle or a shotgun loaded with slugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Hi CG
    Used and fired both of them 9mm Glock and 45 1911.The 1911 kicks more,and it's grip isnt as ergonomic as the Glocks.

I fired both too... So I guess this is all about perceived recoil...
    The Glock felt very "Snappy" (a faster recoil action) where the 1911
    had a thump to it ..but more of a push back than a snap.

Perhaps the 1911 fitted my hand better and I therefore felt it was easier to control. Just go's to show how important "Hands on" testing ie ..eh.?

Advertisement