Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a handgun!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

jaycee wrote:
    Hi CG

I fired both too... So I guess this is all about perceived recoil...
    The Glock felt very "Snappy" (a faster recoil action) where the 1911
    had a thump to it ..but more of a push back than a snap.

Perhaps the 1911 fitted my hand better and I therefore felt it was easier to control. Just go's to show how important "Hands on" testing ie ..eh.?

Hi JC,
    Fact!I have big hands,so maybe that has somthing to do with it,I just absorb the recoli of 9mm in my hands.What you describe in the 9mm Glock I find in the 45.But most of the 45 I have shot are bog std 1911 designs.Some say putting a spur or mid finger grip guide ,removes that problem?
    Get your 9mm yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KerryShooter

Anybody tried the Norinco 1911's ??

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

How about a 9mm 1911?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

macnas wrote:
    How about a 9mm 1911?
    HERETIC!
    BLASPHEMER!

That's known in certain circles as 'Set to stun' :D

Wouldn't a 9mm 1911 just be a browning Hi-Power ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

macnas wrote:
    How about a 9mm 1911?

There is just something wrong about a 9mm 1911. HOw about a 1911 in .38 super...or 10mm?

The Norinco 1911,is a cheap and cheerful copy of the old GI issued 1911.Plenty of steel in it,and all the faults my dad mentioned when he was issued one in the US navy in WW2.Things like;slide rattle,bushing rattle,barn door latch trigger,rudimentry sights,stiff saftey.As my old man said ;a great gun for getting officers killed. It does go BANG every time the trigger is pulled tho.It is a great gun for a platform for modifications into a duty weapon,race gun,home defence or just leaving plain for service match shooting or those who want a parkerized GI Joe .45. You can get it in a few different configs as well, short,and match type as well.Or just buy an Auto Ordinance corporation of New York,[famous for making the Thompson SMG]45 1911 and have somthing just as on par or cruddy as the Norinco.They are the bottom leauge of the plain GI 45s.
    Nope the browning hi power and the 1911 have one thing in common.They are both Brownings designs.The hi power was Brownings last and some say greatest pistol design.Otherwise as different as chalk and cheese.

A 1911 in 9mm
    Let such an abomination be cast into the sea along with all who profess to favour or own such a work of the Devil.For they be unclean and blaspheme the design of the 1911.For truely I say onto thee.The 1911 doth not function well in any other calibre other than the 45ACP and ii's kin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As far as i remember Desert Eagle .50 AE weighs about 8.5lbs & has an 8 shot mag, why not just get a rifle or a shotgun loaded with slugs
    According to world.guns.ru, it's about 1.7kg (3.75lbs) empty and holds 7 rounds of .50AE.

I particularly like this quote-
    General belief of the Desert Eagle being used by various Special Operation forces so far found absolutely NO proofs. Indeed, for the price and weight of this empty gun one can easily have two pistols like Glock 17 or SIG-Sauer P228 plus good supply of ammunition; furthermore, these pistols will be much more reliable in severe combat conditions, and provide much bigger magazine capacity. Add to it severe recoil in its larger calibers (especially .50AE), huge muzzle blast and super-loud sound, and you'll see why only Hollywood warriors use this monster as a combat weapon. In real life, if you need a weapon more potent than a typical combat pistol (such as Glock or SIG-Sauer or Beretta or any other respectable model chambered for caliber between 9mm and .45ACP), you shall get either a rifle or submachine gun, period.
    Says it all, really. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

A 1911 in 9mm
    Let such an abomination be cast into the sea along with all who profess to favour or own such a work of the Devil.For they be unclean and blaspheme the design of the 1911.For truely I say onto thee.The 1911 doth not function well in any other calibre other than the 45ACP and ii's kin.

LDA-DSltd.jpg

Be Tempted flamingdevil.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Sparks wrote:
    What on earth would you use a handcannon like that for though?
    He would use it for punching holes in paper just like you do:p
    Of course they would be huge expensive holes accompanied by a large ball of flame. It might be cheaper to shoot at your wallet with a .22lr pistol
    This is from the pumpkin shoot last year. the ring of fire is some thing unique to DE's in .50
    ringOfire.jpg

My suggestion would be to get something in .22lr that also has a 9mm or bigger cousin. Sig Mosquito<Sig P226, Glock with .22 drop in kit, CZ kadet etc
    Then when you get bored with .22 (and you will, unless its a true target pistol) You flip it and get the bigger caliber.

As far as 9mm vs .45acp well that debate is going to run for a long time.
    I've met a few PMC's from the sandbox recently who only use 9mm holopoints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

Back on topic-
    Handguns are very 'personal' items, for want of a better word.
    Whatever your brother decides on Vegeta, it's essential that he tries a few out before spending money.

I can't agree more. After months of research, I bought a Glock. I just didn't like the odd grip angle and ended up selling it. I think they are good pistols, but they just don't suit me. Additionally, if I am shooting a SA gun, I like some kind of safety. I know that Glocks are technically not SA, but I just prefer an external hammer.

I have a Beretta 92 and it is a decent gun. They make a .22 conversion kit and I have also seen a few .40 cal conversion kits.

macnas wrote:
    LDA-DSltd.jpg

Be Tempted flamingdevil.gif

Get behind me Satan!!!Tempt me not with thy 9mm DA Para Ordinance.:D

As for the Desert Eagle being used in combat.This came about years ago when the Desert Eagle was first produced and sold in the now wussy
    .357 magnum.It was advertised as being used by Isreali Special forces.
    Calibre would be OK,for a combat round.It would certainly be a manstopper.But was it ever std issue to the SF units?Or just a tester,which was then used as a advertiseing campain?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

My club has seen a huge shift away from Glocks. Most people bought 17's thought they were grand then a few people bought Sigs and H&K's. 5 rounds through the other pistols and the Glocks were all up for sale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

the Glocks were all up for sale...

Would that qualify for the description .. "Tupperware Party" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

I like Glocks.

There's nothing wrong with blocks.......er I mean glocks.
    I find them a little square but they can be pretty tough puppys.
    http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=40
    This guy has put 150K rounds through his G21 and tossed it out of an airplane etc and it still works

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ya see the thing is right as you all know getting a pistol is not a cheap or easy task, he will probably have to get the eircom monitored alarm, a specific safe for it and join a pistol club, all of which are not cheap.

I want him to get a .22lr as i think it would be great for the target aspect and dispatch a deer from the sort of range needed, plus it'd be cheaper with cheaper ammo.

He wants a 9mm and is of the opinion why pay for a safe, alarm and club membership to get a pistol in a calibre he doesn't even want.

Also if my brother ever wanted to change his gun is there a place that takes second hand pistols or are you stuck with it for ever

Rew wrote:
    My club has seen a huge shift away from Glocks. Most people bought 17's thought they were grand then a few people bought Sigs and H&K's. 5 rounds through the other pistols and the Glocks were all up for sale...

REW
    If they are flogging them off.I am in the market for one.Save me a load of bother importing mine.Bog std Glock 17 9mm please,hi cap mags,tri dot sights,or tritium sights a bonus,can have the weaver front rail,but not necessary.Am willing to pay US Blue Book of gun value price in Euros.
    Or E gun "buy it now "prices,for the same model.That is in around the 400/500 Euro mark.Sorry guys,that is the current buying price for a NEW Glock in a dealer,outside "rippoff Ireland"
    PM me if anyone is intrested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

REW
    If they are flogging them off.I am in the market for one.

Ill keep an ear out but the last one shifted for about a hundred more then what your willing to pay AFAIK. 2nd hand market in pistols is pretty strong due to all the import hassles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

nice pics of the glocks it looks like wat some of the sandbags do to weapons

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:
    Ill keep an ear out but the last one shifted for about a hundred more then what your willing to pay AFAIK. 2nd hand market in pistols is pretty strong due to all the import hassles.

If anybody hears of a Glock 22 .40 going, i'm interested, tritium sights prefered but not essential, any price will be considered,

Rew wrote:

Yeah,and when folks realise that it is not as much hassle as reported to do from EU countries with the EU firearms passport and EU currency.Alot of people will find themselves overpriced and sitting on their stuff.
    Happens all the time here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

SF units are going back to the 45 .But then they can choose alot of their personal gear.The normal GIs are still stuck with the M9.Not my fav either.It seems too bulky for the mag capacity.

Unfortunately, in the US military, it's not just the special forces going with the .45s. A few months ago, a request for tender was put out for an initial order on the level of 300,000 handguns, in two configurations. (Most with a safety, about 40,000 without, wonder where they're going to...)

The selection process was probably a bunch of good-old-boys playing around for a half-hour on the range. I've no problem with moving away from the 9mm (Though I do like the M9) but would have preferred something smaller than a .45... .40 or 357SIG would be far more suited for me.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

For an all around target pistol a Ruger Mark 1 or 2 is hard to beat (22 long rifle). I've competed against guys w/ Hammeri's and some pretty race guns and I've found the MKII to be less finicky and very accurate. You can get some GREAT triggers from Volquartsen which make it superb.

Just my 2 cents on Glocks. I have over 30,000 rds. thru a 10 year old Glock 22 .40 and it is ultra-reliable. I trust my life to it every day. I like the lack of external controls. Great for when your heart rate spikes and you are reduced to gross motor skills or complex at best.

We previously had Beretta 92's. They are finely crafted but we had several break. I have, however heard of some recent Glock quality problems. Not sure if it's system wide or just one lot. If I we're ever to switch I'd take a long look at the HK USP.

Anyone got any feedback on the HK SOCOM 45ACP?Apart from it being larger than a mod 1911a1.Dunno much about it.

The HK SOCOM is big but well balanced with a great trigger. The barrel is threaded to accept a suppressor and it is capable of relatively long range accuracy for a pistol. I've shot a friends and it is a fine piece. A little big for "duty" type carry but it would make a good sniper backup on a drop leg holster for "hushing puppies". It's one of my favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Sparks first post and Rovi's post "Handguns are very 'personal' items, for want of a better word.", pretty much cover it.

I will second the suggestion of a .22-lr that also has a bigger brother 9-mm kit available. Versatility.

SIG makes VG pistols, I will not part with my 210.
    As do Beretta who make reliable proven weapons.

A Good value for money IMO : Ruger and CZ, my familiarity is with the older CZ-75 and the newer CZ-75B, the 75B has more bells, internal firing pin safety, high visibility sights dovetailed in, etc. The CZ PO1 is a very accurate handgun, as is the old 52 with the 7.62x25 cartridge.
    These pistols are old school in that they are made of steel and are screwed together and fitted very nicely. The DA feature on these guns is also from old school....there is no hammer drop or de-cocking device, so if you wish to carry the pistol DA, you must carefully pull the trigger past the sear and gently lower the hammer to its DA rest position. In that position, the safety does not engage, the apparent design philosophy being that the DA trigger pull is, itself, an adequate safety which requires no other mechanical barrier. The upside is that these pistols may also be safely carried cocked and locked, just like a 1911, and the location of the safety at the rear of the frame is very conducive to proper manipulation.

As others have said, handle as many as possible and if possible shoot them.

I shot a H&K USP Compact Tactical on sunday, It was really nice. For a CCW pistol it was nice and controllable and the grip fit me better then the fullsize. And it has the cool treaded barrel sticking out for that secret agent look.

I also put some rounds through a friends Sig Mosquito. I'll be buying one of those :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

@ Babble Picked up my new Sig Mosquito last weekend and great fun with it on the range, solid, heavy, lovely action and cheap to run!!!

Highly reccomend everyone gets one of these & @ €300 hard to beat. Coupled with my 9mm H&K USP Custom Sport it is a great all round pistol package for about the €1,000 mark.

Shot the Sig X5 recently in 9mm too. A super piece of kit. Expensive, but worth every cent IMHO.

@ Vegeta
    I went to a few ranges in the States & Canada (thanks again to Babble's reccomendation for his local range in Calgary) and shot the Glock, Sig 226, H&K USP and Kimber in various calibres. I shot the same amount of rounds through each, at the same type of target & at the same distance in order to see which grouped best for me & which "suited" me best. The answer was very clearly the H&K, which I then went out & bought.

I would have to echo the sentiment of earlier posts here and say that it is madness to choose & buy a handgun without trying a few out first to see which one you perform best with. My own view is that, particularly with pistols, different makes will behave very differently in different hands (sorry, a lot of "differents" in there!) and that is why it is vital to try a few out before deciding.

There are lots of really nice & really reliable handguns to choose from but there will always be one that just plain & simply suits you best.

Advertisement